advice please

jono

Featured Posts

Hi

First let me say hello to all ,as this is my first post.

Now.I think I would like a small day boat on a canal.

Brecon for choice.

Do the canal people welcome small boats?

Do you think that I could buy something comfortable ( for the day ) for me and the jollyolddolly for about £4,000

be interested to hear what you think.

kind reg

jono

There are plenty of small cruisers around for that budget which should suit your needs down to the ground. For that money you should be able to find one in good condition that will be suitable for weekend and holiday use as well.

You should have loads of choice, happy hunting.

Hi

Brecon for choice.

Do you think that I could buy something comfortable ( for the day ) for me and the jollyolddolly for about £4,000

kind reg

jono

Welcome -

pop over to Apollo Duck and use the advanced search facility to put the max. price you are prepared to pay. Consider also you inevitably will not be paying the asking price - cash talks....

I would be looking for something like a Freeman/Norman for that sort of money as there are loads of them about with good owners club support/network.

Apollo Duck search page

Edited by The Dog House

You will need to check the beam as well depending on where you plan to use the boat. For narrow canals you need less than 6'10" width which will reduce your choice a little. That said you should still have a lot of choice for your budget.

Good point !!

I don't know why but I somehow managed to read it as canals/rivers.

OP - you can exclude boats of an unsuitable width using the advanced search criteria.

Edited by The Dog House

Hi

Thanks to all for your help.

Hope floats !!!!!!

I think I need to speak to someone who knows the does and donts of the Brecon and

dist canal.

Sort out the cost of keeping the boat, over and above the price to buy her.

Then make a war like move.

reg

jono

Hi

Brecon for choice.

kind reg

jono

Have you considered a share in a bigger boat, that sort of dosh gets you 4 weeks in a 58 foot narrowboat !

Just a thought.

Old git

I've just pulled one up on the Duck that's only 3 foot 6 inches wide.... :lol:

http://www.apolloduc...phtml?id=270935

Boat Showrooms are awfully posh; don't understand boats under £100K...

Seriously Freemans are jolly good value, very solid so ideal for canals. They did make some that were narrow enough for canal use, but I think this one is 7ft 6ins wide.

A pity as it's got a diesel - that's unusual, most were petrol.

Hi

Just been having a peek at the freeman 22 mk1 6 10 narrow beam, for use on canals

must say if one of those came up at the right price, and the other bits and bobs are affordable.

I might be able to do it

Hard to believe that a few hours ago I did not have a clue, you are good.

reg jono

Your budget is realistic and that size/price boat is probably the most sensible way to start out if its your first boat. It would be a good advantage to also get a suitable trailer and launch/recover the boat, for a start it saves mooring costs and also is more secure.

EDIT: would also greatly extend your cruising range, for day trips.

From memory, the Mon & Brec is a bit wider than most of the narrow canals, 8'6" I think, (but check first rather than relying on my hazy memories of a holiday on there 13 years ago). What might limit you more on that canal is air draft - there's a particularly low tunnel, and I can't remember the maximum dimensions off the top of my head.

My choice would be something that would fit on a trailer to avoid the hassle / expense of a mooring and something a bit like the Thames steam launch lookalikes but with an outboard - practical and with real class, also with more potential cruising grounds.

Hi

Just been having a peek at the freeman 22 mk1 6 10 narrow beam, for use on canals

must say if one of those came up at the right price, and the other bits and bobs are affordable.

I might be able to do it

Hard to believe that a few hours ago I did not have a clue, you are good.

reg jono

I have one for sale!

http://www.jonesboatyard.co.uk/boat-sales/freeman-22-mk2-narrow-beam-boat-for-sale-5958.html

Price is negotiable

Hi

Thanks for all the info.

I have decided to find a mooring near Brecon, I have a contact who is going to try

and help me with that, he seems to think he can sort that for me.

I need to wait until after the holidays, to sort that.

Then I will look for something suitable. My wife would like somthing she is able to stand up in.

That of course limits the boats I can afford, so if anyone is aware of a boat for sale in this area I would be interested.

I have trawled the for sale yards, ( thank you Idleness, I did check that boat you have for sale over budget for me ) Thing is its all right liking a boat but how to I get it to brecon ect...

Must say I was tempted by some of the smaller project boats. but then I might end up in the sh#t if you know what I mean.

So for the time being I will look for something in this area, and hope I get the mooring I want.

And keep the budget to around 4,500.

Anyway thanks again, and keep me posted if something comes up.

Kind reg

jono

Welcome to the forum.

Brecon is a gorgeous area with a beautiful, if unconnected canal...but you probably know that already! I'm also fairly sure you can go a bit wider there, but check air draft for the Ashford tunnel near Talybont.

Some nice moorings overlooking crickhowell, near the old lime kiln there.

Hi

Me again, been viewing a freeman 22 m2 ( apollo duck )

and the owner states the boat is cheaper cos it has osmosis..

can someone enlighten me on this condition?

kind reg

jono

Edited by jono

Hi

Me again, been viewing a freeman 22 m2 ( apollo duck )

and the owner states the boat is cheaper cos it has osmosis..

can someone enlighten me on this condition?

kind reg

jono

My A level biology tells me that OSMOSIS is the passage of water through a solid substrate.

This probably means that the boats outer coating needs attention as it has deteriorated/aged or been damaged. This will involve recoating or a good bilge pump!!

All freemans have osmosis

It doesnt mean the boat is leaking just that there are blisters in the gel coat caused by the way the fibreglass was laid up, they dont appear at first but take many years.

Two ways of dealing with it.

1 strip the gel coat and redo, expensives.

2 ignore it and go boating.

A surveyor will tell you how bad it is .

Remember no boat has ever sunk fom osmosis

Hi

So if the buggers leaking its no good, right?

reg

jono

Not really, but it will probably need hauling out and leaving for a month or two to dry out PROPERLY and then a light roughing up from the waterline down and brushing on fresh resin to seal and cover any dodgy gel coat to start with.