Blue Peter would be proud...

Psycloud

Featured Posts

Our boat has metal blinds in all the widows and whilst they do reflect some heat back in it's been obvious that we are loosing plenty through the single glazing.

I considered applying that film over the frames but we would have to either remove the blinds or seal them in - not ideal. So in true Blue Peter style I made some window insulation panels from some duck tape, velcro and bits a roll of insulation from Screwfix :)

I've made 15 of these (including some for the stern hatch and doors) for about 40 quid, and they keep the heat in beautifully! Just velcro on and off and store flat. Not everyone's cup of tea I'm sure but at least we're warm :)

windowsjpg.jpg

This is the roll of insulation -> Screwfix. It's like bubblewrap coated in foil and supposedly has the insulation properties of 2" of polystyrene :)

I could always make myself a hat out of it to stop the radiowaves ;)

Edit: Condensation doesn't seem to form on them in anything like the quantities it does on glass.

Edited by Psycloud

So where does the condensation form? Clue - look in your cupboards. It's got to go somewhere.

Just playing the doom monger. :)

Why does it 'have to go somewhere'?

Condensation needs moist air and a cool surface, if you don't have a cool surface....

Yes in theory if it's a closed space with a source of moisture (your bodies) the air get steadily more moist, but hopefully it's not really a closed space.

Tim

Our boat has metal blinds in all the widows and whilst they do reflect some heat back in it's been obvious that we are loosing plenty through the single glazing.

I considered applying that film over the frames but we would have to either remove the blinds or seal them in - not ideal. So in true Blue Peter style I made some window insulation panels from some duck tape, velcro and bits a roll of insulation from Screwfix :)

I've made 15 of these (including some for the stern hatch and doors) for about 40 quid, and they keep the heat in beautifully! Just velcro on and off and store flat. Not everyone's cup of tea I'm sure but at least we're warm :)

windowsjpg.jpg

This is the roll of insulation -> Screwfix. It's like bubblewrap coated in foil and supposedly has the insulation properties of 2" of polystyrene :)

I could always make myself a hat out of it to stop the radiowaves ;)

Edit: Condensation doesn't seem to form on them in anything like the quantities it does on glass.

And did you cover the vents in the doors as well?

And did you cover the vents in the doors as well?

No - although when we bought the boat someone had polystyrene squares and put them in the vents. I appreciate a lot of heat escapes through the vents but at least now it's probably the only place.

We were sat here in t-shirts at 3am sweltering and the fire had gone out 2 hrs earlier. Works for me :)

So where does the condensation form? Clue - look in your cupboards. It's got to go somewhere.

Just playing the doom monger. :)

I'm hoping the dehumidifier :D

If you cover the windows...and seal the vents...isn't there a danger you will wake up dead ?

:o

We haven't sealed the vents - I should have said that we removed the polystyrene that the previous owner had put in the vents. All door vents and mushrooms are open, and we have 2 CO detectors and 2 smoke alarms. Having said that, I wake up dead most mornings :)

We haven't sealed the vents - I should have said that we removed the polystyrene that the previous owner had put in the vents. All door vents and mushrooms are open, and we have 2 CO detectors and 2 smoke alarms. Having said that, I wake up dead most mornings :)

Hi Psycloud

How do you breathe with the boat windows covered up like that?? Dont you need a bit more ventalation with five people on board and the fire going??

Hi Psycloud

How do you breathe with the boat windows covered up like that?? Dont you need a bit more ventalation with five people on board and the fire going??

You can't normally breathe through glass??

I have just fitted the film,tape using hairdryer method to a boat with louvre windows, the difference is massive, especially at the rear of the boat away from the stove. It is currently £5 a pack in B&Q.

I am going to fit the same to my houdini vents and large windows today.

You can't normally breathe through glass??

I have just fitted the film,tape using hairdryer method to a boat with louvre windows, the difference is massive, especially at the rear of the boat away from the stove. It is currently £5 a pack in B&Q.

No you cant, but you must surely need more ventalation than mushroom vents.If I close my windows its unbearable inside.So covering the whole window like that must cut down on the fresh air coming in.

No you cant, but you must surely need more ventalation than mushroom vents.If I close my windows its unbearable inside.So covering the whole window like that must cut down on the fresh air coming in.

90% of them don't open anyway as the blinds stop the hoppers opening. The door vents seem to provide plenty of ventilation and one of the CO detectors has a digital display so we can see how much CO there is - it's all good :)

90% of them don't open anyway as the blinds stop the hoppers opening. The door vents seem to provide plenty of ventilation and one of the CO detectors has a digital display so we can see how much CO there is - it's all good :)

I never close my windows. I dont care how cold the weather is :D

It just sounds unhealthy having all the windows blocked off,the fire going and five people inside.Even with the vents.

We only have 5 people 1 night a week. It's just the 2 of us usually. But as I've already said, we can't open them anyway so insulating them at night seems like a reasonable thing to do :)

we used the same stuff it works brill and its hell of a lot warmer.

It looks like you're living inside an astronaut's underpants.

Like I said, not for everyone ;) We have a couple of club lasers that we used to use at our house - I might rig those up and see see them bounce all over the place :captain:

Like I said, not for everyone ;)

Who said there was anything wrong with living inside an astronaut's underwear? (as long as the astronaut isn't wearing them of course) ;)

I think it's pretty cool (well warm) actually, as long as ventilation is catered for by other means.

Like Ditchcrawler says, many boats don't have opening windows.