Morso squirrel warning

kremmen

Featured Posts

I am sure that I am probably the only one not to know but may I warn anyone with a morso squirrel with a back boiler to be aware that using a brush on chimney may lead to a blockage as there appears to be no obvious access from inside stove.

As I didn't know this I cleaned from the roof and restarted the fire. The result was Smoke pouring from top adjuster .

After trying to loads of things and ringing Morso ( Tony .... technical expert too busy for 3 hours to take my call ) and not being able to get advice from the friendly folks here due to an access problem I finally borrowed a long nozzle wet and dry vacuum and proceeded to suck up all the loose rust that I had dislodged.

Ah well I know what to do next time unless someone known better?

Paul

Take out the plate that is angled at the back and goes over the top of the fire, bit of fiddle but lift and twist and it should come out.

Edit:

Scrub that I do not think it has this plate if a boiler is fitted.

Edited by bottle

I am sure that I am probably the only one not to know but may I warn anyone with a morso squirrel with a back boiler to be aware that using a brush on chimney may lead to a blockage as there appears to be no obvious access from inside stove.

As I didn't know this I cleaned from the roof and restarted the fire. The result was Smoke pouring from top adjuster .

After trying to loads of things and ringing Morso ( Tony .... technical expert too busy for 3 hours to take my call ) and not being able to get advice from the friendly folks here due to an access problem I finally borrowed a long nozzle wet and dry vacuum and proceeded to suck up all the loose rust that I had dislodged.

Ah well I know what to do next time unless someone known better?

Paul

Join the ranks of us squirrel back boiler owners and......

Slide on a thin glove (to limit grime on hand) and reach in with fingers over the back plate, teasing the loose material up over the lip into the grate.

Its a fag, and you can get your arm and hand badly grazed (hence glove) if you are not careful.

It does seem to be a design flaw having a chimney whose entrance is up under the back plate. But, there it is.

Join the ranks of us squirrel back boiler owners and......

Slide on a thin glove (to limit grime on hand) and reach in with fingers over the back plate, teasing the loose material up over the lip into the grate.

Its a fag, and you can get your arm and hand badly grazed (hence glove) if you are not careful.

It does seem to be a design flaw having a chimney whose entrance is up under the back plate. But, there it is.

None of this is a problem if you put the flue into the back. Then, after chimley sweeping, you can remove the plate from the flue hole in the top and spoon/vacuum out all the chimney cr@p. You don't even need to fasten the top plate as it seals quite OK under its own weight and there is lots more room on the top for things like a kettle.

N

Thanks for the advice....

Not sure if my mitts are small enough for the contortions but at least I now know.

Good idea on chimney but not likely to change now. Usefull info for someone installing though.

Paul

Not sure if my mitts are small enough for the contortions but at least I now know.

Paul

Ahh, the secret here is (if you have a significantg other) to ask her, with her smaller hands, to so do. That way, you avoid the glove thing and your hands stay nice and clean! (Duck whilst SWMBO fires off one of her looks:)).

Of course, with Christmas approaching, you could buy the significant other a pair of gloves to ease the work and allow you to go and do bloke things like fiddle with the engine or check batteries.

PS, I see you are at Newbury. So are we, down at Ham Manor Marina, tho not on board at moment.

Ahh, the secret here is (if you have a significantg other) to ask her, with her smaller hands, to so do. That way, you avoid the glove thing and your hands stay nice and clean! (Duck whilst SWMBO fires off one of her looks:)).

Of course, with Christmas approaching, you could buy the significant other a pair of gloves to ease the work and allow you to go and do bloke things like fiddle with the engine or check batteries.

PS, I see you are at Newbury. So are we, down at Ham Manor Marina, tho not on board at moment.

No significant other. So will have to use one of the other methods

At work at the moment bit generally in the same marina most nights

Paul

We had a similar problem with our stove (though no back boiler). A flue brush just seemed to make things worse. A friendly neighbour came to the rescue with some looped chain on the end of a piece of rope. Dropped it down the chimney, banged it about a bit and whoosh! Not only did it clean the flue, it cleared the crap stuck on the top baffle plate and it all fell into the grate.Don't think the previous owners ever cleaned it. Stove is working a treat now.