Continuous Cruising/Mooring

andy the hammer

Featured Posts

Obviously i can only give my experiences regarding this but our cc'ers have been within a four five mile radius for over four years so BW have had plenty of time but no action other than the notices which achieve nothing

They don't sound like ccers to me.

Do they hog VMs or utility moorings or do you just resent their presence?

Edited by carlt

ok granted there isnt a licence specifically for constant cruisers . Genuine constant cruisers do just that but when parked for six weeks or shuffle a mile or two down the cut then thats not doing right by any licence payer considering most tend to take on moorings. Lived as a ccer on the kennet and avon, got bum rushed at most places if we outstayed and we accepted that . Apologies if i have offended you.

Apologies if i have offended you.

I'm not offended. I'm trying to see why these folk have offended you.

Also, is it possible to continuously cruise just on the K&A?

I wonder what the local hyways would have to say.

Not a great deal, actually.

There were several folk who did exactly that when I was a Highways Engineer and neither me, nor the police ever bothered them.

The policy was, in my county at least, that if there were less than 8 vehicles in an illegal encampment then the welfare process would be carried out but enforcement action wouldn't.

But i suppose if i brought a dirty great caravenette and paid all my fees and moved from lay by to lay by would i still be classed as a continous cruiser. I wonder what the local hyways would have to say.

For the Appleby horse fair caravans are regularly moved on and any piece of land possible to park a caravan on away from the site is fenced off - permanently (well there are a few exceptions but not all that many). Upto 15 or miles radius.

That might give you some idea of how they might react. Incidentally the fiar only lasts a week with about another 7 or 8 days spread each side as travellers arrive and depart.

Would you call yourself a constant cruiser or have you a mooring . trying to figure out why you have taken on so when i originally questioned the validity of any "legal" document/contract with Bw which they seem to give out rules and guidelines which they do not police themselves. The K&A is nearly hundred mile long so there and back and up the thames didnt fancy the Severn

Would you call yourself a constant cruiser or have you a mooring . trying to figure out why you have taken on so when i originally questioned the validity of any "legal" document/contract with Bw which they seem to give out rules and guidelines which they do not police themselves. The K&A is nearly hundred mile long so there and back and up the thames didnt fancy the Severn

I am neither. I have been both.

I'm not sure what "taken on so" means. I was merely attempting to have a discussion.

I am not disagreeing but qualifying a little

But the rules have not changed significantly within the last x amount of time that most of us have been boaters. Our own situations might have changed, often through no fault of our own, but that doesn't mean that it's right or fair to expect the rules to bend to suit our own circumstances.

I have only been canal boating for eleven years or so but the lassey faire that used to exist no longer does. I bought a Springer out of a local marina that had no BW Licence and did several rings whilst bringing it up to boat safety standard, the BSS having just been implemented, before licensing it.

But the point is, the rules as they stand are clear, and something that we all, as boaters from all walks of life and using the canals in many different ways, knew about beforehand and signed up for.

That clarity is only arising now, with the various court cases, based on what BW dreamt up over the years that some swallowed as gospel but others argued they had no right to implement.

I was advised, by the last of a local canal carrying family, that end of garden moorings used to be free of a BW charge. Times have changed. I am reluctant to see further change in the same direction as I can see the end of my boating days coming.

If we show that we as a group cannot play nicely with the toys we have, and live within the rules set for us, those toys will be taken away, those rules will change, and those choices will be lost. For everyone.

There seems to be an attitude progression towards an acceptable 'one size fits all' type of boating with no room for the past variety with villification of those who do not fit the perfect pattern.

I wish that everyone would look at things objectively and with the view that if they cannot comply with the set rules, then they go another route. Even if that means making hard choices, and then stepping back and lobbying for change in the right ways.

Change is inevitable and everything gets improved to its detriment with hindsight. Be careful what you wish for. Whatever lobbying gets done will likely upset another minority. Its not usually the majority that rule (probably as well contradictarily) but those who shout loudest. The status quo has much to commend it IMHO.

id give you a greeny but dont know where they are lol

This is the way I see it,by the end of next year I will be paying almost £800 for an End of Garden Mooring plus my rent to the Landowner plus my License fee to CaRT.Locally there are several CCers/Cmers who obviously moor the towpath side,at the moment I do not wish to moor on the towpath for several reasons those being I have security,car parking and shore power.However this may change because I have no security of tenure as I don't own the land I moor against.I may well become a CCer/CMer in the future who knows.I don't particularly care if someone wishes to moor and live on the towpath as long as they are not causing a nuisance or obstructing my passage along the cut.What does p#ss me off is the deliberate overstaying on water points,visitor moorings,lock moorings and too close to bridge holes and blind bends.I don't phone the authorities I do something about it myself,they get asked to move.I don't care if they can't or won't pay for a mooring or they don't move that often,I just want to use my boat and have a decent community about me.I say live and let live and have less interference from the authorities.I don't want to go back living in a soulless town on a soulless street with all the bickering from the neighbours.

:clapping: well said and well put sir

• Greenie 1

I'm not offended. I'm trying to see why these folk have offended you.

Also, is it possible to continuously cruise just on the K&A?

Not a great deal, actually.

There were several folk who did exactly that when I was a Highways Engineer and neither me, nor the police ever bothered them.

The policy was, in my county at least, that if there were less than 8 vehicles in an illegal encampment then the welfare process would be carried out but enforcement action wouldn't.

Thats interesting the way rules are enforced differently on land and water perhaps i need to put the nb on the back of a low loader but with the nb being 70ft i would have to look for the longer lay byes.

Stop bragging, everyone knows that particular part of the male gets erratic after 50.

Thank god i am still 50 and not erratic lol

Thats interesting the way rules are enforced differently on land and water perhaps i need to put the nb on the back of a low loader but with the nb being 70ft i would have to look for the longer lay byes.

It's not that the rules are enforced differently.

The fact is that there is a completely different set of rules.

If you tried to juggle between laybys in anything that big then the police would be taking action against you for obstruction of the Highway rather than the Council for illegal encampment.

The way that the decision to take enforcement action is similar, in my experience...Play the game, keep your head down and don't take the piss and you're left alone.

Once again, as in all threads of this nature, we have all put our strong viewpoints forward....and once again....I dont thinks it's gone anywhere. Next time we'll all give our same viewpoints, and once again, it'll probably still get no where. Gotta love it.

Edited by DeanS