BCN Challenge 2013

Odana

Featured Posts

The paper stuff looks like a nightmare so my plan is this .... Wander down to somewhere near the Dog and Doublet. Have a drink in there for old times sake. Then wander about a bit on Saturday. Knock off when we go past Ocker Hill. Then wander about until I remember where the finish is on Sunday. I reckon that'll amass as many points as any other plan anyone else has got; although I am liking Clarrie's idea.

As far as I'm concerned the main part of the Challenge is ensuring enough food, sleep and drink are partaken.

Then you've got the right team for Cobbett, Ange will see to the sleep, Dave will see to the drink and Wriggly will see to the food.

Team Tawny Owl is now complete. We have the usual suspects: RLWP and Mrs Tawny Owl, Dave the Geek, swimming Robert and Ann the cabin girl.

From the forum we have old hand Stort_Mark and now introducing BCN virgins Smudge and Purple Fairy!!

Naturally, Team Tawny Owl are waaaaay over their crew bonus limit :)

Richard

p.s. PJ, there might be a space if you still want it

At Lapworth at the moment, watched the bow of a boat come out on to the GU from the link bridge very fast. It was Muskrat, heading towards Hatton. Are they doing it this year does anyone know?

Edited to add: Looks like they turned round, and are moored on the GU facing Birmingham, so perhaps they are going that way.

Edited by john6767

Finally on our way. Moored by crick tunnel for the night. Can't wait til Sat, really looking forward to it and hope to meet some of you there. Got my toolkit ready for clearing the prop but can't be any worse than our recent trip through Leicester!

Tom

Finally on our way. Moored by crick tunnel for the night. Can't wait til Sat, really looking forward to it and hope to meet some of you there. Got my toolkit ready for clearing the prop but can't be any worse than our recent trip through Leicester!

Tom

Looking forward to meeting you as well

:)

We've got a late entry...Team Canis Major. The team is made up of myself, Tiggers and two none forum members, Tim and Jon. Jon runs Great Haywood Marine Services and Tim is joining us late on Saturday after he has attended a beer festival.

The team only came together this afternoon, so we're in for a coupe of days of serious route planning.

Edited by sarahavfc

Had me boat measured through the template at Dudley tunnel earlier today.

It don't fit , what a bummer!

Almost, it so almost fits it was worth a try.

If I could put 3 inches of water back in the bottom, (the way I found it when bought it!) I think it'd get through for sure.

Glenn

Dave the Geek has now put the nodal map into the optimisation software and made the third overnight computational pass, we now have a route!

Ellesmere is on the BCN, isn't it?

Richard

Dave the Geek has now put the nodal map into the optimisation software and made the third overnight computational pass, we now have a route!

Ellesmere is on the BCN, isn't it?

Richard

You will be fine with that route.

All getting a bit close now, loading the boat up with enough food and beer to sink a battleship tomorrow evening, and then I get to take it into Birmingham on my own Thursday morning. Then a couple of nights out in Birmingham, followed by the Challenge, a quiet weekend really. Oh and I need to fit 2 days work in there somewhere, cough....

Just had a mail from the Challenge organisers saying that the clubhouse will be available, but failing that we can all repair to "the Manor". Does anyone know what that pub is like?

It has good reviews but I have never been there.

It must have stopped raining then Laurie laugh.png

See you Saturday.

Team 'Red Wharf'

Be seeing you

Tom

Want to bet

Just had a mail from the Challenge organisers saying that the clubhouse will be available, but failing that we can all repair to "the Manor". Does anyone know what that pub is like?

biggrin.png somebody is telling porkies....

I know of a good pub by longwood boat club , it's a proper Black Country spit and sawdust pub with real ale , if you like that sort of things It's about 10 mins walk up the towpath ( pelsall direction ) it's the only pub I've ever been in with no bar , the pumps and optics just hang off the wall , it's a canal side pub well worth a look , the name escapes me but could find out if any one is interested

I know of a good pub by longwood boat club , it's a proper Black Country spit and sawdust pub with real ale , if you like that sort of things It's about 10 mins walk up the towpath ( pelsall direction ) it's the only pub I've ever been in with no bar , the pumps and optics just hang off the wall , it's a canal side pub well worth a look , the name escapes me but could find out if any one is interested

I'm pretty sure that is the Manor, Maty. Towards Pelsall, by the canal, no bar, spit and sawdust, The Cat moored outside - that's the Manor we have passed every year so far

Richard

That would be the Manor!

The Cat moored outside the manor last year

AuaIQvkCIAA5iMJ.jpg