Morse Control

jonny

Featured Posts

Can any-one help with this?

When I’m cruising along my throttle control keeps slipping back to tick over, it’s beginning to drive me insane! I’ve tried wedging a rag behind it to hold it in position, but that only pushes the control out, and into neutral, and I can’t see any way of tightening it up to stop the slipping.

Am I missing something? Or is it time for a new Morse control?

If so what’s to stop the new one from doing exactly the same?

Spent the afternoon down on the boat, repaired the control by making a brake, also drilling exterior flange, tapping same and fitting screw with small ball bearing as a second choice (belt & braces)but only using one method, both working fine!

Edited by jonny

I don't know about your specific morse control, but ours has an adjustment for the friction. Its simply adjusted by removing the cover (I think it clips on) and adjusting an allen key screw.

EDIT: For example on our controller, here is the manual, the friction "Throttle Brake" adjustment is on page 8: http://www.troppo.co.uk/odds/TX%20Controls%20B700SS.pdf

Edited by Paul C

I don't know about your specific morse control, but ours has an adjustment for the friction. Its simply adjusted by removing the cover (I think it clips on) and adjusting an allen key screw.

I have this uber annoying problem with my Morse control too & I've tried adjusting the friction on it, but it simply doesn't work in my case. I've given up on it, unless someone on here can shed some new light on the problem.

Just looked at your PDF link & my control is slightly different, although the underlying mechanism looks very similar. I've downloaded it & I'll print off page 8 & compare it to my own control's manual. Ta.

Edited by Spuds

EDIT: For example on our controller, here is the manual, the friction "Throttle Brake" adjustment is on page 8: http://www.troppo.co.uk/odds/TX%20Controls%20B700SS.pdf

I've looked every where but can't see any where to adjust anything.

I once saw the suggestion that a cable tie could be put round the outer cable of the throttle side of the morse cable and tightened gradually until the desired friction is introduced into the cable.

When I’m cruising along my throttle control keeps slipping back to tick over, it’s beginning to drive me insane! I’ve tried wedging a rag behind it to hold it in position, but that only pushes the control out, and into neutral, and I can’t see any way of tightening it up to stop the slipping.

Ours sometimes slips back but not all the way to neutral. I normally resolve it by momentarily pushing it well forward to 'warp speed' and then quickly backing it off to 'cruising speed' - it then holds.

I do know it needs a proper fix at some point so interested in up-coming suggestions.

I had a problem with my morse control slipping back and my boat builders fitted a counter spring to the throttle end of the cable cured the problem.

Wouldn't that mean that if your cable snapped that the engine revs would be out of control as the return spring has been canceled out?

I've looked every where but can't see any where to adjust anything.

If yours doesn't have any sort of friction adjustment (they changed from big knobs underneath - to allen keys - to apparently nothing), have a look at the throtle connection on the engine and see if you can relax the return spring at all?

I once saw the suggestion that a cable tie could be put round the outer cable of the throttle side of the morse cable and tightened gradually until the desired friction is introduced into the cable.

It's an Idea, but I'm not sure the tie would be strong enough and you'd have to keep tightening it up due to wear, it's not the answer I was looking for but as they say Any port in a storm will do

If yours doesn't have any sort of friction adjustment (they changed from big knobs underneath - to allen keys - to apparently nothing), have a look at the throtle connection on the engine and see if you can relax the return spring at all?

Yes Iv'e looked at this possibility and cant see any way, I've got a 'Beta 1505' and I'm very reluctant to interfere with anything as my engineering skills leave something to be disered

I've not found any adjustment on mine but I use a loop of cord behind the base of the lever to increase friction. This has worked ok so far. I have heard of a pinch clamp being used to squeeze the cable to supply the necessary friction but have hesitated to try it myself as I don't like to risk damage to the expensive cable.

Arthur

Wouldn't that mean that if your cable snapped that the engine revs would be out of control as the return spring has been canceled out?

No the spring they fitted was a weaker version but had enough tension to stop the creeping back. (If I remember correctly this was six years ago) I have a Nanni Engine.

Get a

IMG_3728.jpg

:D

Its a feature of many diesel injector systems that the throttle lever acts against a fairly strong spring within the governor trying to close the throttle, and spring strength is greater when the engine is running. Whilst friction fixes this problem it results in a stiff-to-open throttle, so fitting a long spring to pull the throttle open at the engine end of the cable, is a better option.

Its a feature of many diesel injector systems that the throttle lever acts against a fairly strong spring within the governor trying to close the throttle, and spring strength is greater when the engine is running. Whilst friction fixes this problem it results in a stiff-to-open throttle, so fitting a long spring to pull the throttle open at the engine end of the cable, is a better option.

are you saying what TA suggested IE to fit a counter action spring?

Melt down and cast a new handle knob out of lead and fix it on. When the lever passes TDC the shear weight will prevent it from creeping back. But make it really big and heavy first of all you can easily file bits off it to find a happy medium if this extra weight keeps whacking the throttle wide open. :closedeyes:

Melt down and cast a new handle knob out of lead and fix it on. When the lever passes TDC the shear weight will prevent it from creeping back. But make it really big and heavy first of all you can easily file bits off it to find a happy medium if this extra weight keeps whacking the throttle wide open. :closedeyes:

Hmm I was hoping for some really constructive Idea's especially from you! bizzard,

This problem is really irritating me and you generally can find the answers to most problems on this Forum, what could have worn away over the past 10 years I've owned the boat for 5 years now and the problem has got a little worse every year, it's now really really peeing me off.

Hmm I was hoping for some really constructive Idea's especially from you! bizzard,

This problem is really irritating me and you generally can find the answers to most problems on this Forum, what could have worn away over the past 10 years I've owned the boat for 5 years now and the problem has got a little worse every year, it's now really really peeing me off.

Constructive idea;--- Remove throttle cable. In an old tin heat up a dollop of really heavy axle grease until really hot and nice and fluid. Now hold the cable up vertically and pour the hot fluid grease down between inner and outer cable. Leave to go cold, at which point the grease will have resumed its original viscosity ''thickness'' and so add extra resistance and make the cable stiffer to move.

You could remove the old cable and take it to a Morse cable supplier and compare the resistance of it with a new one, if yours has a lot less resistance than a new one then buy the new one.

Squirting liquid grease from an aerosol into the throttle levers innards might also give enough resistance.