Thumb Lineing

ditchcrawler

Featured Posts

When we were last out at the top of he Buckby flight the unmistakable sound of a Bolinder came by so decided to walk a short way down the flight with them. What I received in return was a demonstration of Thumb Lining. I have never tried videoing with may camera before let alone editing and uploading but here is the result.

Edited by ditchcrawler

When we were last out at the top of he Buckby flight the unmistakable sound of a Bolinder came by so decided to walk a short way down the flight with them. What I received in return was a demonstration of Thumb Lining. I have never tried videoing with may camera before let alone editing and uploading but here is the result.

Good video and sound.Yep it's clever that if you have room to reverse.

Hmm, it looks like the opposite gate is opened with ease, and quicker, by hand. :rolleyes:

Still , a usefull trick if the lock won't empty the last bit, due to leaking gates.

Probably was, but its a long way round to open the second gate and then all the way back to close it.

Hmm, it looks like the opposite gate is opened with ease, and quicker, by hand. :rolleyes:

Still , a usefull trick if the lock won't empty the last bit, due to leaking gates.

I hope not.....

It is not a technique to try unless the gate will open as it normally should - IMO it would be unwise to put a lot more force on the handrails than are needed for the basic operation....

Probably was, but its a long way round to open the second gate and then all the way back to close it.

Yep, but how do you close it with gate-lines ? (I refuse to call them "thumb"-lines!). The technique was far more useful when gates were routinely left open and paddles up - if you have to have crew there anyway to drop paddles and shut gates, there appears to me to always be more effort actually rigging the gate line than can possibly be saved by it, so I think it is just showcasing an old technique these days, but seldom helping speed things along much, (assuming crews are prepared to stick to modern day etiquettes, of course!....)

Also, if you look at that Buckby lock, the footbridge across the lower end avoids any long walk around. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

The line will also act so as to stop the boat from riding back onto the cill say if the engine went out, which why rare with a boat that is set up well, there is always a chance a bolinder can go out which switching from ahead to astern, true the boat should go back in the lock slowly by itself when going downhill but this does not always work with every lock. Also to note the thumbline or gate line will if correctly rigged up will flick off the top of the Luby if the line was to foul. Unfortunately most people seem to have the line tied off on the mast due to a lack of understanding. As previously commented as long as the gates are not forced open until the level no harm is done to lock furniture and fitments, I totally agree that it's quicker to open the gate by hand as you can usually open the gate before the level when there's still a few inches of water in the lock. Just to add for clarification I'm responsible for the boats involved in the video as I'm sure most of the previous posters are aware anyway.

At the risk of appearing to be pedantic (alright, I admit it, I AM being pedantic), those are the lower gates, not the top ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Just found out from Tom Foxon's third book, "Following the Trade", of another use for thumblines.

Lock ladders are a comparatively recent fitment. In the 50s if working a pair two handed the steerer could rig the thumblines and stay on the boats whilst the mate went ahead to set the next. Without a ladder there was no way save jumping to open the gates bad get back on the boats, whereas if thumblining the steeper could stay on and open the gates.. The thumbline meant faster working if shorthanded because of being able to set ahead.

Of course the gates were left open with paddles drawn.

Edited by FadeToScarlet

Just found out from Tom Foxon's third book, "Following the Trade", of another use for thumblines.

Lock ladders are a comparatively recent fitment. In the 50s if working a pair two handed the steerer could rig the thumblines and stay on the boats whilst the mate went ahead to set the next. Without a ladder there was no way save jumping to open the gates bad get back on the boats, whereas if thumblining the steeper could stay on and open the gates.. The thumbline meant faster working if shorthanded because of being able to set ahead.

Of course the gates were left open with paddles drawn.

Even with ladders today, it's often easier to use a gate line, then stop the boat outside the lock to close up and shut down when you're on your own.

Mike