Buying a boat for dummies

muddywaters

Featured Posts

All of my boating experience so far has been holidays on hire boats, but the plan has always been to buy my own boat when I retire and become a live aboard.

But things have changed and now I will probably be in a position to buy a boat within the next 12 months.

So just wondered if some of you could give me some basic does and dont's regards to buying a boat.

When I have any specific questions I will ask them of course.

Planning on being a live aboard not because I think it's a cheap way of living because I know it's not, but because it has always been the dream.

All of my boating experience so far has been holidays on hire boats, but the plan has always been to buy my own boat when I retire and become a live aboard.

But things have changed and now I will probably be in a position to buy a boat within the next 12 months.

So just wondered if some of you could give me some basic does and dont's regards to buying a boat.

Planning on being a live aboard not because I think it's a cheap way of living because I know it's not, but because it has always been the dream.

The list is endless :lol:

If you dont know boats get a Hull survey but do not take it as gospel. A full survey though isnt worth the paper it is written on, most are so ambiguous they make politicians look honest.

Buy the boat YOU like dont be swayed by any of our views as to size, spec etc etc

Think very carefully about how far your crusing range will be in reality, too many people buy small say 57 foot boats that go most places then never go anywhere, space is great and if you are talking narrowboats a 70 footer is much much better to live on than a 57 footer, I know been there done that for many years.

Though some brokers are good many are not and remember they have a living to make, I always try to buy privately directly dealing with the organ grinder.

Things like paintwork can be remedied with money but a knackered hull however much money you throw at it will never be as good as a well built hull in good nick.

You MUST have a solid fuel stove, there are NO alternatives and of course it goes without saying that pumpout toilets are simply ridiculous ;)

Tim

Get it surveyed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup that..

Some additional basic points -

If buying a used boat don't expect to find one that ticks each and every box you have in terms of requirements. You will be very lucky to find a boat that somebody else has had built or designed or built to a standard layout to the same spec. as if you were having one built from new to your design.

Be prepared to compromise in some areas.

Of course you can have a new one built to your own spec. but this normally commands a price premium.

Think carefully and realisticly about where you will do your boating as this will dictate the max. length and width of your boat - don't for instance confine your self to a narrowboat if you will only ever cruise on canals ans rivers capable of taking a wide beam or if you plan to do a lot of cruising up North rather than just come up here occasionally, make sure your boat will comfortably fit the shorter locks - 57-58ft or less.

ed I see Tim has made some very similar points ref. size.

Edited by The Dog House

Do your homework.

Buy some books and get an understanding of hulls,engines,gearboxes,fitout etc.

Have a (physical not internet) look around a number of boats before deciding what layout/type to get.

Having a trip out in a friends boat or even hiring one for the day would be a good idea to find out what you like or don't like.

Remember, this is going to be one of the most expensive purchases you are going to make in your lifetime so getting it right is very important.

Get it surveyed by a recommended independant surveyor of your choice !

I did none of the above and wished I did. You live & learn.

My advice is completely different from the above.

Learning enough to buy the 'right' boat first attempt is SUCH a complex task that I think no matter how much research you carry out, you are doomed to failure. Just as picture paints a thousand words, owning a narrowboat, ANY narrowboat, will teach you a million things you won't realise you wanted to know until you actually own and use a boat.

So my advice is find a boat you that you fall in love with but is cheap enough not to be a financial disaster when you come to sell it on. The first boat you buy will never be right. You second will be a close approximation, but come your third attempt you'll have a sporting chance of buying exaclty what you really want.

Hope that helps.

MtB

• Greenie 1

Most important point: Make sure it has a pump out toilet.

Unless, of course, you're very poor in which case you'll have to make do with one of those horrible plastic suitcases full of shit.

... and if you make this fundamental mistake ensure you have a contingency fund set aside to rectify it and be in a position to pay some one to rip it out and install a cassette in it's place...

... and if you make this fundamental mistake ensure you have a contingency fund set aside to rectify it and be in a position to pay some one to rip it out and install a cassette in it's place...

Very true. My last narrowboat was built by Mr Hudson so was built to last BUT he is sensible enough to know that removal of the tank may be needed at some future date. I managed to remove mine with the help of a lift from a friend without doing any structural damage to the boat :D and replaced it with a proper, sensible boat toilet. My problem was what to put in the enormous storage space that I know had that previously had been storage for excrement :wacko: Why do some people have such an attachment to it :blink:

Tim

Very true. My last narrowboat was built by Mr Hudson so was built to last BUT he is sensible enough to know that removal of the tank may be needed at some future date. I managed to remove mine with the help of a lift from a friend without doing any structural damage to the boat :D and replaced it with a proper, sensible boat toilet. My problem was what to put in the enormous storage space that I know had that previously had been storage for excrement :wacko: Why do some people have such an attachment to it :blink:

Tim

When ours was removed they had to leave the deck fittings for the rinse and PO tank in place -

I do worry when people see them that they think we would be stupid enough to have such a device on board.

Aren't you the one that had an entire PO removed, toilet, pipes, tank, the lot. Then reliased the only problem was that it was full and you carried on flushing the bog?

I'm sure that's what happened.

Aren't you the one that had an entire PO removed, toilet, pipes, tank, the lot. Then reliased the only problem was that it was full and you carried on flushing the bog?

I'm sure that's what happened.

Not quite correct it was a combination of factors -

Yes the tank was leaking when it was full but also the tank (A plastic one) had a cracked connector that was leaking too.

I also found the macerator loo problematic and very temperamental often even refusing to macerate ordinary bog paper properly. The tank was also ridiculously small and needed pumping out too often.

Also the level indicator had failed and a bit of research showed this was extremely common.

Overall the system was not for us so we came to our senses and had it removed.

Edited by The Dog House

http://www.onthewater.co.uk/buy_a_boat/buying_a_boat_-_key_questions.aspx

Hmm - this bog question. So far I've resisted reading the threads.

I'm not keen on living with 100 gallons of poo and I'm guessing all the smelly boats I've looked at are pump-out, but if I'm more or less continuously moored a few miles from the nearest poo emptying point, it's winter, the canals frozen, your cassette and spare are brimmed. Get the car out?

Cassette sounds ideal if you're in a marina but I won't be.

Hmm - this bog question. So far I've resisted reading the threads.

I'm not keen on living with 100 gallons of poo and I'm guessing all the smelly boats I've looked at are pump-out, but if I'm more or less continuously moored a few miles from the nearest poo emptying point, it's winter, the canals frozen, your cassette and spare are brimmed. Get the car out?

Cassette sounds ideal if you're in a marina but I won't be.

My posts on this subject are always tongue in cheek as I firmly believe that really it is for each person to make there own choice given their individual circumstances and preferences.

But in your scenario of frozen canals it really depends on capacity - a large PO tank will likely see you through a canal freeze but if it doesn't you won't be able to move the boat to empty the PO either....you may however be able to chuck the cassettes in the car and take them to get emptied.

This of course only works if you get frozen in near your car.

Edited by The Dog House

My posts on this subject are always tongue in cheek as I firmly believe that really it is for each person to make there own choice given their individual circumstances and preferences.

But in your scenario of frozen canals it really depends on capacity - a large PO tank will likely see you through a canal freeze but if it doesn't you won't be able to move the boat to empty the PO either....you may however be able to chuck the cassettes in the car and take them to get emptied.

This of course only works if you get frozen in near your car.

Check out how much the marinas near your mooring charge for pump outs and if they have hire fleets, if you work during the week emptying the boat on change round day is a big hassle. Having a cassette works for us.

Check out how much the marinas near your mooring charge for pump outs and if they have hire fleets, if you work during the week emptying the boat on change round day is a big hassle. Having a cassette works for us.

This is one of the reasons for us that a cassette works because PO's up here are like hen's teeth and normally self/card operated.

Sanitary stations however with an Elsan facility are plentiful.

It pays to do a bit of research on the area you will do most of your boating (assuming you are not CCing) before you make your choice.