Earthing

FredW

Featured Posts

Hi,

Here's hoping that someone will be able to give me an answer to a question I have been asked.

It's been put to me that there should be an earth wire from the hull of a narrowboat to a copper

pin hammered into the ground on the canal bank,something similar to the earth rod we used to have

years ago for the house.The reason being the 240v system on the boat not being grounded without it.

I've not heard of this for narrowboats,or anything else,so I was wondering if anyone on the forum

could shed any light on it.Having only a pretty basic understanding of electricity on boats I have

no idea as to whether such a thing would be of any use.I just assumed that 'cos I hadn't seen such

a thing then there would be no need for one,but now it's bugging me.

Thanks,

Fred.

Hi,

Here's hoping that someone will be able to give me an answer to a question I have been asked.

It's been put to me that there should be an earth wire from the hull of a narrowboat to a copper

pin hammered into the ground on the canal bank,something similar to the earth rod we used to have

years ago for the house.The reason being the 240v system on the boat not being grounded without it.

I've not heard of this for narrowboats,or anything else,so I was wondering if anyone on the forum

could shed any light on it.Having only a pretty basic understanding of electricity on boats I have

no idea as to whether such a thing would be of any use.I just assumed that 'cos I hadn't seen such

a thing then there would be no need for one,but now it's bugging me.

Thanks,

Fred.

Never heard of it, im guessing as water is a great conductor, that it would be earthed through your annodes !

At the risk of being made to look an idiot by later posters who actually know this shit, I'd say someone's been winding you up...

Is not the connection of the shoreline via the electrical cable to the power point on land it's own earthing, by means of the 'earth' wire?!

Edited by Starcoaster

Never heard of it, im guessing as water is a great conductor, that it would be earthed through your annodes !

Fresh water ain't that good! If the hull was live and you stepped across onto an earthed jetty you would find it enlightening!

You don't need an earth spike.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies,it was an innocent question.

No,its not with a shoreline.

Thank you Arthur I did wonder if that would be the case but as John V says

freshwater isn't that good a conductor.

Fred.

At the risk of being made to look an idiot by later posters who actually know this shit, I'd say someone's been winding you up...

Is not the connection of the shoreline via the electrical cable to the power point on land it's own earthing, by means of the 'earth' wire?!

I have seen this more than once and that is with boats with no shore supply. There use to be a boat on our moorings at Napton who did it

I have seen this more than once and that is with boats with no shore supply. There use to be a boat on our moorings at Napton who did it

Its called TT eathing and quite common in domestic houses that dont have a TNC or TNCS earting like a farm house. Not heared of it on boats.

Its called TT eathing and quite common in domestic houses that dont have a TNC or TNCS earting like a farm house. Not heared of it on boats.

Not where thay ant got no mains leci

mind boggling, are you sure it wasn't just an unusual mooring pin :cheers:

Nice bit of green and yellow cable bolted to the hull with a big crock kip in the end attached to the stake. Wouldnt hold a boat if a swan swam past.

The internal electrics should be earthed down to the hull.

I have visions of some poor sod running along the towpath with lots of earth spikes as you cruise, constantly swapping the line from one to another!!! :lol:

The internal electrics should be earthed down to the hull.

I have visions of some poor sod running along the towpath with lots of earth spikes as you cruise, constantly swapping the line from one to another!!! :lol:

You just have one of those things like they had on the back bumpers of cars to stop static so you don't get travel sick :cheers:

• Greenie 1

Not where thay ant got no mains leci

Nice bit of green and yellow cable bolted to the hull with a big crock kip in the end attached to the stake. Wouldnt hold a boat if a swan swam past.

To be honest when I did my sparky course they didn't learn me about marine electrics and even the 17th edition of the wiring regs don't realy cover marine electrics. I have had to learn myself alot during sorting this boat out with alot of help from here :cheers:

Hi again,

I asked this question just out of curiosity,not with the intention of doing it.

I thought I may have just got an answer,nothing more,nothing less.

I don't need to be shouted at,I'm not deaf.I do though,wonder why people who have

nothing constructive to say feel they have to make any sort of comment.Is there an

award for the most posts,so anything will do?

Thanks Ditchcrawler,at least the guy who asked wasn't winding me up completely.

Fred.

Just want to point out that this would only be while moored,I don't understand how

anyone could think otherwise,then again,maybe I can.

Edited by FredW

Hi again,

I don't need to be shouted at,I'm not deaf.I do though,wonder why people who have

nothing constructive to say feel they have to make any sort of comment.Is there an

Fred.

Just want to point out that this would only be while moored,I don't understand how

When on shore power the earth wire in your supply cable will act as an earth return to the power station. When off shore power you will be generating your own 230v from your own power station i.e. either an inverter or a generator so your earth wire will return to that source.

Then it's two fingers to the national grid!

Thankyou NB Innesfree,

your answer is all that I need to answer the query.I understand it perfectly and it all makes sense.Should have known really but I thought it easier to ask on here.

Fred

Hi again,

Fred.

I gave a serious answer...followed by a description of what my pictorial imagination was holding......no 'shouting' or whatever intended...just a picture it had conjured up!

There is always room for a laugh in life....I thought....... :unsure:

Woke up in the middle of the night thinking about that one.....If a marina supplied each boat with 2 wires you would presumably have to earth the neutral at the hull for pme and if not and true tt and all the boats were earthed at the hull what would the pd be between them and if you had metal pontoons would they need to be earthed and what would be the current flow through that system....AND WHAT ABOUT THE OFFICE...........AAAAAAAARGH!!!!

Edited by John V

I'm surprised this thread got even a tiny amount of discussion/debate.

It's complete cobblers. Anyone who thinks you need an earth cable for a boat without a shoreline connection should be kept away from bulbs and batteries, let alone AC mains.

Edited by Gibbo

Hi again,

Fred.

Please don't get upset - there's often (usually) nothing personal meant, it's just the way these fora operate.

One quickly learns to ignore the banter - you then can focus on the sensible stuff

Electricty supply appears to most as a bit of a black art - and because you can't see it directly - there tends to be a lot of confused thinking around!!