T&M closure between Middlewich and Dutton

Timleech

Featured Posts

There was a similar sized breach in a similarly remote location on the L&LC at Keighley in 1952. It was reopened in three weeks, which I don't think will happen on the T&MC today.

8029086686_8e22039b14_c.jpg

That would seem like a reasonable time to get the blacking done...

I live 5 minutes away and I do alot of wildlife filming and conservation in the area here's what it was like on Monday morning after 24hrs of rain http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5_gyn18vlV0

Interesting that the canal is overflowing quite badly. I'd have expected there to be enough length of overflow/weir to handle that. Unless, of course, it was flowing over the towpath because the embankment had already started to subside and reduced the level of the bank. If that's the case, you were rather lucky that it didn't fail catastrophically whilst you were standing there!

MP.

Where did all the water from the canal end up when it drained out? I guess there's not a great big lake below there, but it must have been a huge volume of water cascading down the hill. Hopefully no houses etc?

Across a field and into the River Weaver.

N

Where did all the water from the canal end up when it drained out? I guess there's not a great big lake below there, but it must have been a huge volume of water cascading down the hill. Hopefully no houses etc?

The river runs alongside and the towpath is pretty sturdy there and the reason the bank became so eroded was that tree roots were dislodged and ripped the river bank off but there is a sandy bank below and a large flat plain which absorbed the water but it only did for a day and stopped and the trust put in planks it might it worse. The canal was open at this point and I kayak alot in the area for filming the various water birds and Otters in the area and there has always been a big puddle there but I have never seen it that bad and it's just after the flash around the bend.

The issues are where there is a high bank on the canal and the thin path between the drop down to the river.

8035455807_fab6e9b156_b.jpg

We cleared the path for the Trust as they could not see the other side due to the fallen tree blocking the path so we were quite safe as there is about 10 metres of towpath and its mainly the dirt bank that's gone.

8035469632_40d4bb71fd_c.jpg

Edited by cwwmike

The river runs alongside and the towpath is pretty sturdy there and the reason the bank became so eroded was that tree roots were dislodged and ripped the river bank off but there is a sandy bank below and a large flat plain which absorbed the water but it only did for a day and stopped and the trust put in planks it might it worse. The canal was open at this point and I kayak alot in the area for filming the various water birds and Otters in the area and there has always been a big puddle there but I have never seen it that bad and it's just after the flash around the bend.

The issues are where there is a high bank on the canal and the thin path between the drop down to the river.

8035455807_fab6e9b156_b.jpg

We cleared the path for the Trust as they could not see the other side due to the fallen tree blocking the path so we were quite safe as there is about 10 metres of towpath and its mainly the dirt bank that's gone.

8035469632_40d4bb71fd_c.jpg

Many thanks for this, it is a good illustration of the issue.

I wonder if they could reroute the canal by purchasing the field near the flash, and instead of the sharp left as you come up to the flash (from the south, ie bottom of the image), go straight ahead through the flash then take a NW route through the field to rejoin the canal. It would be over flatter land, therefore an easier engineering exercise?

There are alot of areas on the 5 mile stretch where the river and canal run along side each other so may work there but not in other places further past the flash.

F-FLASH

RED IS WHERE RIVER AND CANALS RUNS SIDE BY SIDE

8036711595_f393b7dd34_o.jpg

The flash was a part of the farmers land and they still own it plus I think they would not sell as they I the diversion would cause a big impact for the wildlife of the area as the flash is a quiet area for wildlife to get away from people I don't think the trust would want to disrupt it. One major thing that would be effected is a protective species that relies on the flash for feeding and breeding but I cannot say here. The area maybe small but it's a wildlife haven and the number of species that would be disrupted by boats being diverted near to the reed beds and waters edge would be hugely impacted especially in the summer months.

I think it's easier if they raise the edging stones at this corner and do minor repairs on the river bank using limestone to support and bulk up the bank as it worked on an area upriver.

8036712021_3cac771b6c_o.jpg

Edited by cwwmike
  • Greenie 1

Is that the part from Bartington Bridge 210 to the preston brook which will take two years to fix?

I am after a date when the T&M will open from Bridge 179 to middlewich bridge 173 as I am really missing walking the Tow paths there as that section has some of the best wildlife filming locations only accessible via the tow path?

Is that the part from Bartington Bridge 210 to the 213 preston brook which will take two years to fix?

I am after a date when the T&M will open from Bridge 179 to middlewich bridge 173 as I am really missing walking the Tow paths there as that section has some of the best wildlife filming locations only accessible via the tow path?

Spoke to a lady today who had popped into CRT at Red Bull and was told 2 years to reopen. Eeeek!

I hope not, that's a major route to be shut for anywhere near that long. I was hoping to get to the Weaver next Easter (from Stone) but that's looking increasingly unlikely.

Update from C&RT

Between Middlewich Big Lock 75 and Lodge Lane, Bridge 213 Preston Brook

Tuesday 25 September 2012 until further notice

UPDATE (02 October 2012): Our reviews of the 2 sites affected by the flooding have continued and preparatory works for the repairs at Croxton have commenced this week. While this is excellent news this will be a difficult project requiring work in the river to complete it. While we do not have a detailed programme for the works this will be a number of weeks at least. The work required at Dutton is far more extensive, and we are currently working with our contracting partners to determine the design for the repair and the likely timeframe required. We will advise further when we have more information on this.

In the coming week we are working to reduce further the length of canal out of water particularly at the Dutton end. When we have a re-watering plan resolved there we will directly inform the customers whose boats are affected.

The canal and towpath remain closed at Croxton (from Big Lock to Bridge 179 at Whatcroft), and at Dutton Hollow (from Acton Quay at Bridge 209 to Bridge 213). Between Whatcroft and Acton the canal level is navigable and customers are able to access the services at Anderton. Anderton Boat Lift remains operational for access to/ from the Trent and Mersey Canal.

Thank you to everyone who has contacted us in the last few days with their whereabouts. Clearly people may not be able to continue their journeys as they would have wished. For those within the section between Whatcroft and Dutton we are mapping the available mooring locations and expect to be contacting you about these towards the end of this week. The usual winter moorings at Anderton, Acton and Ollershaw Lane will not be accessible this year to persons outside the isolated section.

If your goal was to travel from the south to the Bridgewater Canal, or are on the Bridgewater Canal with the aim of coming through to Middlewich we would ask you now to take the reverse route around the Cheshire Ring. We acknowledge that this will require additional travelling for you and have to apologise for that. We have made arrangements with the Bridgewater Canal to relax the constraints of the reciprocal licencing agreement to allow this to happen. However, for this to apply Bridgewater customers on Trust canals should contact our office at Red Bull (01782 785 703) and advise of the timing of your journey; and returning Trust customers currently on the Bridgewater Canal should contact Mike Webb at their offices (0161 629 8200) to provide the same information.

We have been made aware of some parties wishing to use the Manchester Ship canal as a means of sailing from the isolated section, or to access the main canal network. If you are considering this and wish to be part of a larger group we will be happy to share contact details, but please contact us at Red Bull to facilitate that.

Canal & River Trust apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Ariel & Joe are currently on the River Weaver, and as we're trapped between the stoppages at Dutton and Croxton, we will be delivering on the River Weaver between Northwich and Acton Bridge on Friday.

On Saturday and Sunday we'll be at Acton Bridge for the Steam Gathering, and on Monday we'll be heading to Anderton where we'll be going up the lift to deliver to the boats caught on the canal, passing back down onto the River on Tuesday.

We will be fully stocked with coal and diesel, so if you need anything, please ensure you don't miss us by calling or texting Liam or Kerry on 07748 958303.

Interesting that the canal is overflowing quite badly. I'd have expected there to be enough length of overflow/weir to handle that. Unless, of course, it was flowing over the towpath because the embankment had already started to subside and reduced the level of the bank. If that's the case, you were rather lucky that it didn't fail catastrophically whilst you were standing there!

MP.

That (fairly short) length of towpath embankment has been subsiding for decades, but whether due to salt extraction or river erosion I do not know - quite possibly the former as that is the origin of the flashes. Every so often (must be about 4-5 years since the last time) when the edge had dropped to water level, BW would cast another slab of concrete onto the top of the coping of the wash wall. By this summer boat wash was lapping over the concrete, and it wouldn't have taken much of a rise in the pound to cause a steady flow over the top, which is what I think has happened here.

The embankment between Barnton and Saltersford tunnels is in a similar state.

The only spillways I can recall on the whole of that pound from Middlewich to Dutton are a small one at Jackson's Turn near Anderton, and the large one at Anderton by the Boat Lift.

Andrew

That (fairly short) length of towpath embankment has been subsiding for decades, but whether due to salt extraction or river erosion I do not know - quite possibly the former as that is the origin of the flashes. Every so often (must be about 4-5 years since the last time) when the edge had dropped to water level, BW would cast another slab of concrete onto the top of the coping of the wash wall. By this summer boat wash was lapping over the concrete, and it wouldn't have taken much of a rise in the pound to cause a steady flow over the top, which is what I think has happened here.

The embankment between Barnton and Saltersford tunnels is in a similar state.

The only spillways I can recall on the whole of that pound from Middlewich to Dutton are a small one at Jackson's Turn near Anderton, and the large one at Anderton by the Boat Lift.

Andrew

There is another weir at Dutton, on the outside of the first bend after the lock. It's often almost invisible because of the undergrowth, but there has been work done earlier this year to clear it. It's no great surprise to me that one or another section of bank has failed in this way, the issues have been known about for years but action seems to have been limited to 'monitoring'.

Tim

If it is really going to be two years, I might as well pack up shop now :(

• Greenie 1