T&M closure between Middlewich and Dutton

Timleech

Featured Posts

I can't imagine it will be too long before its fixed and open again, there's 4 busy hire firms in the area; 2 on one side and 2 on the other. And as I remember the area, its the bit alongside (but above) the Weaver, so hopefully the water from the canal has done minimal damage to the surrounding area and possibly its been contained to 1 or 2 fields where its flowed through and onto the river. Certainly a major amount of work to put right, though.

I can't imagine it will be too long before its fixed and open again, there's 4 busy hire firms in the area; 2 on one side and 2 on the other. And as I remember the area, its the bit alongside (but above) the Weaver, so hopefully the water from the canal has done minimal damage to the surrounding area and possibly its been contained to 1 or 2 fields where its flowed through and onto the river. Certainly a major amount of work to put right, though.

My guess is that the earliest is likely to be the start of next 'season', may well be later. Big job, lots of planning to do, no access, etc.

Tim

My guess is that the earliest is likely to be the start of next 'season', may well be later. Big job, lots of planning to do, no access, etc.

Tim

Ifeel really sorry for the canal businesses in the area who will be affected by what must be a long stoppage.

haggis

No report yet from our colleague Chuggy, whose hire fleet is in that area I think. Come in Gregg, tell us what you have seen (and if it will affect you).

I stopped by Middlewich today to arrange for them to pump out our boats that can't get back. none of their boats are North of the breach and as it's a long way from them they won't be affected. After speaking to them they said that they'll send most of their hirers towards Llangollen.

We appreciate that Haggis and I'm sure Black Prince do who may be more affected than us. We will all help each other out and roll with the punches!

I would expect that before too long Alvechurch at Anderton and Black Prince boats will be reconnected with the system in a southerly direction and Middlewich Narrowboats and Andersen boats will not have been affected in that direction. Claymoore will be worse affected than anyone if it is a prolonged closure.

The Cheshire Ring is broken for the duration but at least there is an alternative route North/South.

Edited by journeyperson

I would expect that before too long Alvechurch at Anderton and Black Prince boats will be reconnected with the system in a southerly direction and Middlewich Narrowboats and Andersen boats will not have been affected in that direction. Claymoore will be worse affected than anyone if it is a prolonged closure.

The Cheshire Ring is broken for the duration but at least there is an alternative route North/South.

The last info we have is that they may reopen the stretch from Middlewich to Anderton which would put Black Prince in a real pickle. However info seems to be changing all day long so we sit and wait and see what the verdict is. We certainly aren't going to let a little thing like no canal stop us :)

A real pain. Looks like the one near Lymm in '71 which was closed for a couple of years IIRC.

One reason why the closure was so prolonged there, was that Ship Canal (owners of the Bridgewater at that time) didn't want to put their hands in their pockets to pay for it (if my memory is correct).

Tim

The last info we have is that they may reopen the stretch from Middlewich to Anderton which would put Black Prince in a real pickle. However info seems to be changing all day long so we sit and wait and see what the verdict is. We certainly aren't going to let a little thing like no canal stop us :)

Poor Danny, he is not having a good first year at Acton Bridge. A case of so near and yet so far as the Weaver is just down the hill a few hundred yards from his yard.

haggis

One reason why the closure was so prolonged there, was that Ship Canal (owners of the Bridgewater at that time) didn't want to put their hands in their pockets to pay for it (if my memory is correct).

Tim

Correct. They did take some time to make a decision, and at one point it was looking like it would not be repaired. The works still took over a year though.

_63135918_andrew_davies_canal.jpg

not good news for anyone on this stretch.

....especially the usual 'barges' comment.

Sad to see boats like this. I took a picture of those lovely old wooden boats as we came through the bridge in 2010 and the bloke told me to f**k off.

Edited by Guest

Tim

Yep, my guess (and its only a guess) is that it will be spring next year before its reopened. It reminds me of the Leek breach (I think it was 2009?) but relatively speaking this is a more significant piece of the canal network. I'm not sure if Black Prince's yard is just a few yards to the north of the closure - if so then it will affect them much more than the Middlewich hire bases; and of course ukboathire.com (Anderton) are in the middle of it; and the Weaver is effectively off limits to hirers (private boaters could in theory get there and back via MSC). Hopefully the affected hire bases can temporarily relocate (might mean a mass convoy of Claymoore hire boats going round what's left of the Cheshire ring to get somewhere?)

not good news for anyone

Let's hope that the cut isn't drained for too long as these boats may have a problem with drying out!!

How long would it take before such boats were affected by drying out?

Edited by Guest

How long would it take before such boats were affected by drying out?

Depends on the weather.

With recent weather, months.

In hot summer sun, days.

It will certainly be an issue if they are stranded there for the whole time that I imagine it will be before the canal reopens, even though winter is coming.

Tim

Depends on the weather.

With recent weather, months.

In hot summer sun, days.

It will certainly be an issue if they are stranded there for the whole time that I imagine it will be before the canal reopens, even though winter is coming.

Tim

:cheers:

Cheers Tim, you beat me!!!

Only to add the bottoms may be ok if they sink into the mud slightly, and it stays moist.

I did wonder about that. I recall the clinker wooden boats on the L&L that used to leak like colanders when they had been out for a while.