Another .mobile broadband solution.

Roger Gunkel

Featured Posts

Some caution with all you can eat data, data only sims alegedly get priority over data with phone sims, I assume that's why unlimited data only sims are unavailable (unless I am mistaken), phone sim data can be slowed down in busy times though network suppliers deny it, but then they would wouldn't they?

This is very true. I had an all you can eat sim and was told by the sales line that it was fine in a 3G router, and indeed it was to start with, then it started to drop out all the time because 3 realised this was not what they ideally intended for the sim, so they made it only work in a handset. I also got out of the contract after insisting I was sold someone that now didn't work because they changed the rules. The did wriggle unil I reminded them the sales call was recorded for whatever their current reason was and to look up their records of my purchase and get the recording of me specifically asking if it can be used in a router.

I now have the right sim and it works very very well.

Mine is 100 minutes pm (not much but I'm not one for gassing much) 5,000 texts pm (hell's teeth how many texts can one person send) but the best bit unlimited t'internet...£13 pcm. The phone was 'free'.

I reckon they were using the deal to shift some old stock but it's a good little phone and certainly better than other smatphones I've had

Does it actually allow tethering on that plan? I thought it was only the contract One Plan that allowed it, but if it does for £13p/m it is a very good deal, and worth it for that and forget it as a phone.

I'll have to seek out the nearest 3 outlet, I too aren't worried about the minutes, we need the phone for incoming calls diverted from our BT business line, we already have 600 minutes between us on our individual mobiles. This will be an almost perfect solution at a very good price. Know what you mean about texts, shame you can't sell them on laugh.gif I've done about 3 texts all year so far laugh.gif Handset doesn't worry me either, I'm still using a 5yo Nokia slide phone laugh.gif Well it's still working! I could do with bigger keys though, that's for sure.

I'll let you know if I manage to get one, cheers.gif

As Ange says I found that the 'One Plan' with 3 was the only way to get a wifi hotspot phone and 'all you can eat' broadband'. I initially looked at Mifi units which are basically a wireless router with a built in simcard, but discarded the idea as they were limited to a maximum data allowance of 15gb, with companies such as 02 and Odhone only allowing a maximum of 2gb. I have no idea what my monthly data useage has been for the last few years, but as I frequently send and receive fairly big pics, didn't want to risk exceeding my allowance.

As I was giving up my business line, I needed a second mobile to replace it and also needed connection for up to 3 laptops or Ipad simultaneously. As 600 minutes is only about 10 minutes per day, I wanted more phone time just in case, so the One Plan was ideal as it allows 2000 minutes.

Finally, after long talks with BT, I found that I can have my old number retained as a redirect only, which costs £30 per quarter, with a message saying 'This number has been changed to 07..........'. This is totally seperate from my old BT contract which has been cancelled, so there are no other costs. It means that customers from the last eight years, will still be able to reach me if they dial the old number. I can also renew the redirect for as long as I wish, indefinately if required, so all of our advertising material will not have been wasted.

Finally, if you already have a mobile dongle and want to use other laptops simultaneously, Maplin sell a wireless router to plug your dongle into LINK

Roger

If you are looking at the Galaxy range, the latest and greatest is the Galaxy S3 but the previous "king of the hill" S2 is still available and can be a real bargain. It is still one of the most powerful phones on the market and official updates are available to Android version 4 (Ice Cream Sandwich)now and possibly 4.1 Jelly Bean in the future.

Depending on the coverage in your area, I can recommend the Orange version which comes with Universal Mobile Access (known to Orange as Signal Boost) which allows calls and texts at normal network rates over any available WiFi connection. I find this really useful in rural pubs!

Sadly the S3 doesn't have it :(

I have only struggled for signal at two locations this year until recently - Shardlow, and Stockton Top.I have a HTC Wildfire on a 3 eat all you can data contract.

However, moored at Loughborough, my internet is shockingly bad, constantly drops out, crashes, or isn't available - this is with a full bars phone signal.I struggle to open e-mails and keep getting sites drop to HTML mode.

I go 3 miles away, with the same phone signal strength, and can download from youtube, open several windows at once and no problems.

I think I am being limited drastically near the town centre due to the volume of users on line.

If anyone just wants to try the phone/wifi hotspot option, I have found the cheapest data you can get without a contract is a cheap android phone with wifi hotspot (Galaxy europa about £40 new)on 3 network and a &15 monthly add on (top up) with all you can eat data, 400 mins, loads of texts and 3 to 3 minutes. Officially I don't think you are allowed to tether, but I know many people who have this set up for months and have never had a problem using the wifi hotspot, and as you are PAYG, you are not going to get a nasty bill with added data charges.

I have an iPhone on the one plan and mainly use that, but the europas hotspot facility works just as well.

Edited by LoneEcho

As Ange says I found that the 'One Plan' with 3 was the only way to get a wifi hotspot phone and 'all you can eat' broadband'.

I have found differently - as above I have just got a Samsung Galaxy Ace on 3 with unlimited Broadband at £13 pcm. It works as a wi-fi hotspot too.

The One Plan for the same phone would have cost me £28 pcm.

I am on an Ultimate internet 100 plan as per here -

http://store.three.co.uk/view/product/ql_catalog/threecatdevice/2428;jsessionid=D24C1F48E3188E3F5F94A35A0220A1CE?referer=carousel

I could have added tethering alone to my plan for an extra £5 pcm BUT - they then cap your internet usage. :wacko:

The One plan includes tethering without any limits. But you do not need a one plan on the phone I have just bought to use it as an wi-fi hotspot in my experience (only got the phone yesterday).

I suspect they are shifting old stock hence the deal which is possibly unique to this phone at the moment - that said it's out of stock now on line - I bought mine in a local 3 shop.

Edited by The Dog House

All this talk is baffling me. (Not hard!). Where in the boat do you put your mobile phone to use it as a hot spot? Does it need to be taped to a window? Can you use an external aerial with it? All very well to use your phone as a mobile hot spot but if you want to use it as a phone I don't particularly want to stand with my ear close to a window.

All this talk is baffling me. (Not hard!). Where in the boat do you put your mobile phone to use it as a hot spot? Does it need to be taped to a window? Can you use an external aerial with it? All very well to use your phone as a mobile hot spot but if you want to use it as a phone I don't particularly want to stand with my ear close to a window.

I use mine in a suction type car mount. It can be a pain when you want to use your phone, but you should still maintain internet connection. I mentioned previously the Europa because it has hotspot functionality and is probably no more expensive than buying a mifi, but the data is far cheaper for heavier users. So I think of my europa as a mifi that costs me £15 a month for unlimited data.

I have found differently - as above I have just got a Samsung Galaxy Ace on 3 with unlimited Broadband at £13 pcm. It works as a wi-fi hotspot too.

The One Plan for the same phone would have cost me £28 pcm.

I am on an Ultimate internet 100 plan as per here -

http://store.three.co.uk/view/product/ql_catalog/threecatdevice/2428;jsessionid=D24C1F48E3188E3F5F94A35A0220A1CE?referer=carousel

I could have added tethering alone to my plan for an extra £5 pcm BUT - they then cap your internet usage. :wacko:

The One plan includes tethering without any limits. But you do not need a one plan on the phone I have just bought to use it as an wi-fi hotspot in my experience (only got the phone yesterday).

I suspect they are shifting old stock hence the deal which is possibly unique to this phone at the moment - that said it's out of stock now on line - I bought mine in a local 3 shop.

Have you tried running more than one computer at a time with it or downloading say from the iPlayer? The contract I escaped from allowed me to tether or create a hotspot for one computer for normal browsing, but gave me an error page as soon as we tried to add another computer or download anything.

If you can do both of those then you have got a bargain, but I suspect it is one-off because 3 website clearly states that the only plan that allows tethering is the One Plan unless you but an add on, which, as you said, caps your usage and defeats the object of all you can eat data.

Have you tried running more than one computer at a time with it or downloading say from the iPlayer? The contract I escaped from allowed me to tether or create a hotspot for one computer for normal browsing, but gave me an error page as soon as we tried to add another computer or download anything.

If you can do both of those then you have got a bargain, but I suspect it is one-off because 3 website clearly states that the only plan that allows tethering is the One Plan unless you but an add on, which, as you said, caps your usage and defeats the object of all you can eat data.

The three web site is clear form what I have seen, it is only the "One Plan" on a contract phone (not sim-only) that allows tethering. All you can eat data does not mean that tethering is allowed. It may be true that you can get away with it, but that is not the contract.

As with making calls you will improve the signal if you stand close to a window or none steel door/hatch - especially in a steel box that is a narrowboat.

In theory though it can go anywhere in the boat that gets the strongest signal to the network.

I'm not sure what happens if you need to make a call or receive one while using the wi-fi, I assume the phone can be used as normal should it ring while you are using it as a hotspot and if you need to make a call it's a simple matter to turn the wi-fi off, there is a little app. on an Android phone where you can turn it on and off from the touch screen.

In my case where I use the laptop on the boat is directly next to a window so I will have the phone both directly adjacent to the laptop and next to a window too.

The three web site is clear form what I have seen, it is only the "One Plan" on a contract phone (not sim-only) that allows tethering. All you can eat data does not mean that tethering is allowed. It may be true that you can get away with it, but that is not the contract.

Which is why I always recommend the Pay As You go Option at £15 a month. That way you are not tied into a two year contract if it is discovered you are using wifi to tether.

I understand that there is no automatic way the networks can detect if you are tethering via wifi hotspot, but rely on detecting packets that are downloaded that flag up that the operating system using the internet is not a phone, which is not straight forward. (This may be complete tosh)

Which is why I always recommend the Pay As You go Option at £15 a month. That way you are not tied into a two year contract if it is discovered you are using wifi to tether.

I understand that there is no automatic way the networks can detect if you are tethering via wifi hotspot, but rely on detecting packets that are downloaded that flag up that the operating system using the internet is not a phone, which is not straight forward. (This may be complete tosh)

This makes perfect sense in our case. As I said it was fine for normal browsing but had a hissy fit if we tried adding another laptop or downloading. Is suspect there are parameters in place that recognise this as tethering behaviour.

In our case it meant the phone was not fit for purpose so I was able to break the contract with no penalties.

Currently typing and posting this on my laptop connected wirelessly via. my Galaxy Ace, Jan is also connected to the Ace's Wi-Fi using her iPhone so certainly 2 devices can be connected wirelessly -

The instructions say up to 5, but I don't have any more to try but two will be good enough for us.

ed - just tried iPlayer and it works fine - we are however in a good signal area at the mo which I guess will help.

Edited by The Dog House

This makes perfect sense in our case. As I said it was fine for normal browsing but had a hissy fit if we tried adding another laptop or downloading. Is suspect there are parameters in place that recognise this as tethering behaviour.

In our case it meant the phone was not fit for purpose so I was able to break the contract with no penalties.

I mainly use my iPhone on the one plan and use PAYG when it is not convenient to leave the iPhone in the window, however my niece (who eats data for breakfast) has had the PAYG plan for about a year and watches hours upon hours of youtube, iPlayer etc so not sure what they look for to detect tethering. I am not sure whether there is a difference between tethering wired or via wifi regarding detection.

Edited to add. As said before the website clearly states tethering is NOT allowed on this PAYG tariff.

Edited by LoneEcho

Currently typing and posting this on my laptop connected wirelessly via. my Galaxy Ace, Jan is also connected to the Ace's Wi-Fi using her iPhone so certainly 2 devices can be connected wirelessly -

The instructions say up to 5, but I don't have any more to try but two will be good enough for us.

ed - just tried iPlayer and it works fine - we are however in a good signal area at the mo which I guess will help.

You've got yourself a damn good deal in that case. Well done :)

Does it actually allow tethering on that plan? I thought it was only the contract One Plan that allowed it, but if it does for £13p/m it is a very good deal, and worth it for that and forget it as a phone.

I specifically asked about this before I bought the phone and they were clear that tethering is not allowed and it would cost me an extra £5 pcm BUT they would then cap my internet usage - there is no logic to this to me but that is what I was told.

What I haven't tried is actually tethering it but I don't see the need to be honest - the pages I visit the most load just fine with a wireless connection and I don't want to come to the attention of 3's tethering police...

You've got yourself a damn good deal in that case. Well done :)

I really like the phone too, not as flashy or bells and whistles as some of the newer Galaxy's with the larger screens but I'm quite happy.

Edited by The Dog House

I specifically asked about this before I bought the phone and they were clear that tethering is not allowed and it would cost me an extra £5 pcm BUT they would then cap my internet usage - there is no logic to this to me but that is what I was told.

What I haven't tried is actually tethering it but I don't see the need to be honest - the pages I visit the most load just fine with a wireless connection and I don't want to come to the attention of 3's tethering police...

The logic is that you have all you can eat data, and if you tether it easy to use lots more data then you would use just on the phone. If by "wireless connection" you mean using the phone as a wifi hot spot, that is just as much tethering as using a cable. It may well be that you can get away with it (particularly just using one computer), but that is not what your contract is. The only way to have all you can eat data, and use a computer on that, is with a One Plan contract phone, unless I am missing something, and I hope I am.

Do you mean you haven't tried wired tethering? To avoid confusion with others who may take out a contract, tethering by wifi is considered tethering by three and other networks.

Edited by LoneEcho

Do you mean you haven't tried wired tethering? To avoid confusion with others who may take out a contract, tethering by wifi is considered tethering by three and other networks.

Correct.

I hang my phone in the window purely to get a better reception. I can use it as a phone while it's acting as a mobile hotspot or tethered by wire to the laptop without turning anything off. I do actually have it tethered all the time because using it as a hotspot eats the battery at a furious rate so I need to keep it constantly on charge. I've got a long lead that means I can try different places on the boat in a poor signal area.