Birmingham

allybsc

Featured Posts

Have a seance and ask ........ Wilf Towsend ran our boat and used one until the end.

Takes about 20-30 seconds to remove, teaches steerers to be cautious too, dont have to remove for many bridges in reality. I believe the originals just push fitted onto a collar, ours secures with two bolts one either side.

Sadly our collar has gone, we have some sort of oil cloth on the roof so we may be see where it was fastened on when we peel it off. Wasn't Darley's fished out of the cut or did I imagine that?

Sadly our collar has gone, we have some sort of oil cloth on the roof so we may be see where it was fastened on when we peel it off. Wasn't Darley's fished out of the cut or did I imagine that?

Do you still have a wooden cabin then?

Richard

Do you still have a wooden cabin then?

Richard

Yes, but it needs re-skinning...the burning question of the day is...wood or steel?

News to me Darren, havent sent the picture to NBOC, as I dont get that mag have no idea.

Cheers,

Laurence

I shall nip on and look at the PDF!

Yes, but it needs re-skinning...the burning question of the day is...wood or steel?

I shall nip on and look at the PDF!

Harland & Wolff cabins were all timber, only the engine room casing and bulkeads were steel. The engine room was pannelled out the same as the back cabin on the outside with wood.

News to me Darren, havent sent the picture to NBOC, as I dont get that mag have no idea.

Cheers,

Laurence

Hi Laurence

A 'Robert Jones' supplied the same photograph to the Hnboc for publication with a note that his father was the one of the boys sat on The Bordesley. It's all explained on page 8 if anyone wants to take a look.

Best regards

Darren

Oh wow!

I remember Birmingham with great affection from the 1970s, when she worked for Union Canal Carriers, generally paired with Balham.

She had no silencer on the Petter, and you knew it was Birmingham coming from several miles away.

I'm really REALLY pleased for you - I simply loved that boat.

Cheers,

Laurence

The picture was sent in to the HNBC by a Mr Robert Jones who's grandparents were given the boats from new, I'm not sure if Ican reproduce the text here...still reading!

Wood - I know it's unfashionable, but...

Richard

Yes that's what I want.

Harland & Wolff cabins were all timber, only the engine room casing and bulkeads were steel. The engine room was pannelled out the same as the back cabin on the outside with wood.

We have some sort of early MDF on the cabin now, it's lasted very well, the engine room is steel.

Hi Laurence

A 'Robert Jones' supplied the same photograph to the Hnboc for publication with a note that his father was the one of the boys sat on The Bordesley. It's all explained on page 8 if anyone wants to take a look.

Best regards

Darren

You beat me to it!

Oh wow!

I remember Birmingham with great affection from the 1970s, when she worked for Union Canal Carriers, generally paired with Balham.

She had no silencer on the Petter, and you knew it was Birmingham coming from several miles away.

I'm really REALLY pleased for you - I simply loved that boat.

Thank you so much, I loved it the minute I saw it! It's got a lister now.

Good for you. Congrats from BADSEY.

Please keep the wood for the cabin. It will always expand and contract at a different rate to the steel engine room but regular painting of the joint seems to solve the leaks.

We started a bit of a war at Streethay...the welder and the wood boys are allegedly fighting over it!

Good for you. Congrats from BADSEY.

Please keep the wood for the cabin. It will always expand and contract at a different rate to the steel engine room but regular painting of the joint seems to solve the leaks.

Thank you, I'm in the wood camp, but I want the panelling!

"Apparently new" There are an awful lot of scrapes on the counter round, the cants on the motor have taken wear, and whilst the brass is clean, those chimneys are far from shiny.

It was a Mr. Robert Jones who sent the information in to the HNBC by email, followed by the photograph. It is stated that the Father of Mr. Jones is sitting on the cabin top, farthest back, aged 8yrs. He is now 84 (as of early 2012), and 'his' Mother, Robert Jones's Grandmother, is at the tiller - that would place the photograph at around 1936. Robert Jones's Grandfather and Grandmother were given BORDESLEY and BIRMINGHAM from new to work the G.U. Mr. Jones also claims to have another picture of the boats whilst moored in Bristol around the mid sixties, and another older one of his Grandmother with 'her' parents on the VIOLET.

Mr. Jones's Uncle Tom Smith worked for Waterways as lock keeper at Saltley and Camp Hill. He passed away whilst resident at the Lock cottage by Cuckoo Bridge, Aston. His parents worked JUNO and CAMBOURNE for Waterways and was seeking their whereabouts through the HNBC.

It would be worth the new owners of BIRMINGHAM to get in touch through the HNBC. Website. The editor may be able to make the link.

I guess the new owner of Birmingham may already have been in touch with Pete Harrison ?

If not, (and I hope Pete doesn't mind me saying this!), PM him, because he is always helpful in giving you the data he has collected on a boat, particularly if you have completed a purchase, so it is not being considered when making the transaction.

Unlike some of the recorded "information" Pete will only give you real facts, that can be backed up with evidence. If something is conjecture, any notes he passes on will make that absolutely clear.

I'd love to say Birmingham was one of the UCCCo boats either I or my brother photographed 40 years ago, but I can't immediately recall any pictures either of us took, despite following the boat around regularly. Oh that digital cameras had existed then!

Here is "Birmingham" & "Bordesley" new in 1936/7 quite early in the life of the boats has the public helath number has not been sign written on the motor. Launched into service in November 1936 the boat wasnt gauged until the following february.

gallery_5000_522_4584.jpg

Congratulations from Banstead and Bodmin. Be warned of the windy day!

Did the butty doors always just have a flat door with a recess, rather than the raised panel of the motor?

Congratulations from MARQUIS.

And a lovely picture from Laurence Hogg of BIRMINGHAM & BORDESLEY, apparently new. Well nice to see that they've made a really good start on reshaping the motors counter!

James

Thanks James, you know Marquis was my first love :blush:

It would be worth the new owners of BIRMINGHAM to get in touch through the HNBC. Website. The editor may be able to make the link.

I'm going to do that very thing, he might like to come out for a little trip.

Congratulations from Banstead and Bodmin. Be warned of the windy day!

Thank you we will x

I guess the new owner of Birmingham may already have been in touch with Pete Harrison ?

If not, (and I hope Pete doesn't mind me saying this!), PM him, because he is always helpful in giving you the data he has collected on a boat, particularly if you have completed a purchase, so it is not being considered when making the transaction.

Unlike some of the recorded "information" Pete will only give you real facts, that can be backed up with evidence. If something is conjecture, any notes he passes on will make that absolutely clear.

I'd love to say Birmingham was one of the UCCCo boats either I or my brother photographed 40 years ago, but I can't immediately recall any pictures either of us took, despite following the boat around regularly. Oh that digital cameras had existed then!

I've not contacted him but I will if you think he won't mind, the purchase is indeed complete my pathetic looking bank balance is testament to it! I did a search on here and came up with a picture on one of your excellent 70's pictures threads, you thought it might have be Birmingham loaded with coal with Andy??? steering, I can't find it again now but if I do can I use the picture for my FB page?

I did a search on here and came up with a picture on one of your excellent 70's pictures threads, you thought it might have be Birmingham loaded with coal with Andy??? steering, I can't find it again now but if I do can I use the picture for my FB page?

I should have quite a few as well, from when Andy Iddens (sp?) had Birmingham & Balham with UCC. Unfortunately most of mine at the time were colour slides, so it is not as easy for me to quickly rifle through to see what's what. I'll see what I can do when me and slides are next in the same place together.

I should have quite a few as well, from when Andy Iddens (sp?) had Birmingham & Balham with UCC. Unfortunately most of mine at the time were colour slides, so it is not as easy for me to quickly rifle through to see what's what. I'll see what I can do when me and slides are next in the same place together.

That would be brilliant, thank you so much x

I've dug around various websites and have found out some of Birmingham's ownership history, what I'm really interested in is the people who worked her and what she carried, that's not so easy to find. It's a nightmare searching Google for "Birmingham and canals" the results are in the thousands!

I've dug around various websites and have found out some of Birmingham's ownership history, what I'm really interested in is the people who worked her and what she carried, that's not so easy to find. It's a nightmare searching Google for "Birmingham and canals" the results are in the thousands!

No, you need to be patient, visit some get togethers maybe, but do get in touch with both Pete Harrison and Jeannette Smith-Harrison who sometimes posts hereabouts (not related to my knowledge by the way!). Beware of some of the websites that list boats and their histories, as I believe Alan Fincher has mentioned, they are not always reliable as they copy from one another, so the errors get repeated and become 'truth'. Pete will have as much as is available on the boat, and from original materials, and Jeannette is your lady for families!

I did a search on here and came up with a picture on one of your excellent 70's pictures threads, you thought it might have be Birmingham loaded with coal with Andy??? steering, I can't find it again now but if I do can I use the picture for my FB page?

Ah, correct, yes.......

I'm about 90% to 95% certain this must be Birmingham, because I can't see which other UCCCo Woolwich it is likely to be, and it does look like Andy Iddings. (My best guess at surname spelling!).

Sadly it is reported that Andy is one of the (more than one) UCCCo captains to have passed away.

Not a great picture, unless you like studying Harborough Marine boat roofs, but you are certainly welcome to use, until something better comes up.

Zen_032_021_Birmingham_Possibly.jpg

EDIT:

Actually comparing that shot to a picture in the Ian J Wilson book "Grand Union Canal From Brentford to Braunston", which shows Birmingham also coaling, but at Cosgrove lock "c. 1970", the deck board and front end decoration are such a perfect match, that I'd be amazed if my picture is not of Birmingham. Mine is a little later, based on comparing paintwork condition.

The book picture (its on page 72), is a much better composition, so you might like to see if you can get hold of a copy of that you can legitimately use ?

Edited by alan_fincher

No, you need to be patient, visit some get togethers maybe, but do get in touch with both Pete Harrison and Jeannette Smith-Harrison who sometimes posts hereabouts (not related to my knowledge by the way!). Beware of some of the websites that list boats and their histories, as I believe Alan Fincher has mentioned, they are not always reliable as they copy from one another, so the errors get repeated and become 'truth'. Pete will have as much as is available on the boat, and from original materials, and Jeannette is your lady for families!

Thank you I've sent Pete a message, I'll try to double check any information I get off the web. I quite fancy a trip to an archive...but which one I wonder? I'm not even sure what I'm looking for. I might go and have a pootle round the national archives site.

Ah, correct, yes.......

I'm about 90% to 95% certain this must be Birmingham, because I can't see which other UCCCo Woolwich it is likely to be, and it does look like Andy Iddings. (My best guess at surname spelling!).

Sadly it is reported that Andy is one of the (more than one) UCCCo captains to have passed away.

Not a great picture, unless you like studying Harborough Marine boat roofs, but you are certainly welcome to use, until something better comes up.

Zen_032_021_Birmingham_Possibly.jpg

I'm not sure that is Birmingham, I didn't risk breaking my neck to walk right up to the bow but my OH did and he said that there wasn't a deck hatch, I will double check on Sunday when we go back. Thank you for digging out the picture, I had a good look and couldn't find it again.

Edited by allybsc