Batteries Again

Old Son

Featured Posts

Not sure they are that cheap. You can probably take "deep cycle" with a good bit of seasoning.

My last batteries, bought earlier this year, were £68 each, admittedly they were 110Ahr.

ETA: the warranty is only against manufacturing defects. They will sulphate as quickly as any other unless well managed and if that kills them in 12 months, the warranty won't replace them.

Edited by dor

I think I will be needed a new battery bank in the not so distant future and have found these on the internet:

http://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/boat-batteries/125-ah-xplorerleisure-battery/

They seem very cheap for a leisure battery with 4 year warranty and 500 cycles. Am I missing something?

Generally, if it looks too good to be true, it is.

This looks like a re-badged truck battery with a special label- they quote a CCA figure so it was designed to start an engine, not for deep cycling. It is also sealed, so you won't be able to top it up.

N

I need sealed bqatteries because I have no room to top up. I understood it was better to fit cheap batteries. I currently have 270 amps at 24V. I am very limited for space unless I spend money extending the battery tray or moving the battery charger which is located above the batteries.

When can I find a 130 amp ish sealed battery about the same measurements as the above for a similar price?

What does 500 cycles mean ? I am a weekend boater and connected to a shoreline so my batterys are in the "charge" position via the victron allways is this o.k. please thanks.

"500 cycles" doesn't mean a lot without it also specifying cycling to what depth of discharge. However in your case, whilst you are on shore power, your batteries are not cycling at all. If we take 500 cycles at face value, what it means is that when you come off your shore power and spend some time tied up somewhere, using battery power to run lights, fridge, TV etc so that the battery state of charge falls to say 50% (a day or two probably, depending on battery size and your usage), then you recharge the batteries either with the engine or with the Victron on shore power, that is 1 cycle of the nominal life used up.

What does 500 cycles mean ? I am a weekend boater and connected to a shoreline so my batterys are in the "charge" position via the victron allways is this o.k. please thanks.

Providing you keep SP connected and don't interrupt it your Victron will keep batts on a reduced float charge of about 13.2v which, apparently, avoids positive plate corrosion associated with long term normal float voltages and will occasionally revert back to normal float charge for a while to boost things up a bit.

It's the best maintenance charge you could hope for really as long as your battery connections are clean and tight.

I need sealed bqatteries because I have no room to top up. I understood it was better to fit cheap batteries. I currently have 270 amps at 24V. I am very limited for space unless I spend money extending the battery tray or moving the battery charger which is located above the batteries.

When can I find a 130 amp ish sealed battery about the same measurements as the above for a similar price?

When you put the dimensions in google, any of the battery sellers sites or on here. ;)

OP - basically - one gets what one pays for

If you want good quality deep cycle batteries - Trojan are excellent

If you want the cheapest possible - find the cheapest - and then start haggling - - hard!

A rule of thumb is - buy cheap - buy twice as often

I am aware of that but what is cheap? I thought the batteries in my OP were cheap. I have now found them about £9 cheaper. Is that cheap?? I only use the boat weekends and I have shore power. There is no need to buy Trojans in my circumstances.

I am aware of that but what is cheap? I thought the batteries in my OP were cheap. I have now found them about £9 cheaper. Is that cheap?? I only use the boat weekends and I have shore power. There is no need to buy Trojans in my circumstances.

Cheap is 70 squid collected for 110s these days plus 5/8 back for your old batts if you exchange them rather than hold on to them.

125s are often more premium priced for those wanting a bit more so 95 - 8 delivered is pretty good IMO

You should get £10 - £12 for 110 batteries from a scrap yard. I recently got 50p / Kg for some, and a 110 will weigh somewhere between 22 & 26 Kg.

Don't let the battery seller tell you they are doing you a favour by disposing of your old batteries!

Try Advance Battery Supplies, they have some 110A at £70.00 inc VAT & delivered at the moment, give them a call they can generally get what you want and their prices are good.

No connection other than as a customer

Ken

You should get £10 - £12 for 110 batteries from a scrap yard. I recently got 50p / Kg for some, and a 110 will weigh somewhere between 22 & 26 Kg.

Don't let the battery seller tell you they are doing you a favour by disposing of your old batteries!

Whe I weighed mine in I got a bout a fiver for them