SKY Satellite dish

Ex- Member

Featured Posts

We'll be moving on the boat soon but remaining on dry land till Feb next year. I love my F1 so want to set up SKY on it that we currently subscribe to.

Thinking of buying one of these, however will it be ok for when we're actually on the water. Or would it be best to go small now with a suitcase set up from the off.

http://shop.satelliteonline.co.uk/fast-finder-portable-satellite-dish-kit-330-p.asp

We are wide beam and don't suffer much movement like a n/b and of course plenty of room on the roof.

Opinions welcome.

Julian

We'll be moving on the boat soon but remaining on dry land till Feb next year. I love my F1 so want to set up SKY on it that we currently subscribe to.

Thinking of buying one of these, however will it be ok for when we're actually on the water. Or would it be best to go small now with a suitcase set up from the off.

http://shop.satelliteonline.co.uk/fast-finder-portable-satellite-dish-kit-330-p.asp

We are wide beam and don't suffer much movement like a n/b and of course plenty of room on the roof.

Opinions welcome.

Julian

Hi - if by suitcase set-up you mean to include a receiver too then whilst I'm open to correction none of these types will take a Sky card which you will need for your F1.

If you just mean dish then yes small is generally regarded as better as they are less susceptible to the movements of the boat.

Opinions welcome.

Julian

Hi Julian....a decent dish that will affix the the roof ok, these suitcase jobs will be suction so if the roof is non slip you will need to find alternative method of fixing...

Also when your on the move each time that you moor up you'll need some form of meter to re locate the correct satellite...

Remember if its a sky + or sky+ hd you'll need a twin lnb and two cables to have the box working fully as you were at home...

Chers for now...

Martyn...

Also when your on the move each time that you moor up you'll need some form of meter to re locate the correct satellite...

Depends on your skills.

Our son has become quite adept at finding the satellite more or less straight away with no more aid than a compass.

Probably not everybody can, but on the rare occasions we bother with TV, we have no finder equipment at all, and manage perfectly well without.

Depends on your skills.

Our son has become quite adept at finding the satellite more or less straight away with no more aid than a compass.

Probably not everybody can, but on the rare occasions we bother with TV, we have no finder equipment at all, and manage perfectly well without.

No help to the Op but I was thinking about ditching Sat TV on the boat as we have never failed in recent times to get Freeview with an aerial - we can even not bother to put the thing up and leave it laying on the roof and still have no problem getting a picture. :lol:

Hi Julian....a decent dish that will affix the the roof ok, these suitcase jobs will be suction so if the roof is non slip you will need to find alternative method of fixing...

Remember if its a sky + or sky+ hd you'll need a twin lnb and two cables to have the box working fully as you were at home...

Chers for now...

Martyn...

Hi Martyn

We plan to bring our subscribe sky box to the boat whilst on dry land, when we go on the water though I'm not sure weather we can continue with subscription, although don't see why not. I suppose if we can continue with sky subscription then no point in the suitcase, we were thinking though that if we can't subscribe when on the water then we'll have the Freesat available that comes with the suitcase set. I can' really get to my sky dish at home as we're in a flat and it's a bit too high for my liking laugh.gif so have to buy a dish whatever.

We're Sky + HD What's a twin LNB, I'm not up with TV technology laugh.gif

Thanks for all other comments cheers.gif

Edited by Julynian

Hi Martyn

We plan to bring our subscribe sky box to the boat whilst on dry land, when we go on the water though I'm not sure weather we can continue with subscription, although don't see why not. I suppose if we can continue with sky subscription then no point in the suitcase, we were thinking though hat if we can't subscribe when on the water then we'll have the Freesat available that comes with the suitcase set. I can' really get to my sky dish at home as we're in a flat and it's a bit too high for my liking laugh.gif so have to buy a dish whatever.

We're Sky + HD What's a twin LNB, I'm not up with TV technology laugh.gif

Thanks for all other comments cheers.gif

It has more than one output so you can watch one TV channel and record another and pause and rewind live TV.

I've got two in the garage if you want one - for the price of the postge...

LNB4port.jpg

Pure Twin LNB's are quite hard to come by and they tend to be quad as above now - so that you can have Sky TV in more than one room in the house plus Sky+

Edited by The Dog House

No help to the Op but I was thinking about ditching Sat TV on the boat as we have never failed in recent times to get Freeview with an aerial - we can even not bother to put the thing up and leave it laying on the roof and still have no problem getting a picture. :lol:

If TV is important to you, I'd hang on to the satellite stuff, if you ever plan to travel this far South!

If TV is important to you, I'd hang on to the satellite stuff, if you ever plan to travel this far South!

now why would I want to do a thing like that.... ;)

Point taken though Freeview does seem more reliable up here than even when we were based in the Midlands...

It has more than one output so you can watch one TV channel and record another and pause and rewind live TV.

I've got two in the garage if you want one - for the price of the postge...

LNB4port.jpg

Pure Twin LNB's are quite hard to come by and they tend to be quad as above now - so that you can have Sky TV in more than one room in the house plus Sky+

Cheers M, I'll take you up on that if need be. Lynn's just checking with Sky as to staying subscribed mobile, we can't as it relies on Broad band and phone subscription as well. We currently pay £68 per month though, silly money as all I'm interested in is F1 So downloading F1 live from the net seems the better option and viewing on our new tv via HDMI cable. So we might go for the suitcase Freesat

We actually have a poor digi signal even though we're very close to Devises, we only get BBC1 occasionally in good weather same with BBC 3 and 4 and a few other channels, so if we're staying on dry land for a further 5 months the Freesat should solve that issue.

I did read the smaller dishes were better for movement as well so another + when we're on water.

Lynn likes this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-PORTABLE-CARAVAN-MOTORHOME-HD-SATELLITE-KIT-CAMPING-12-VOLT-or-MAINS-/320974393339?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item4abb908ffb#ht_1275wt_1021

Any feedback on this model appreciated before a part with some hard earned doshcheers.gif

We plan to bring our subscribe sky box to the boat whilst on dry land, when we go on the water though I'm not sure weather we can continue with subscription, although don't see why not. I suppose if we can continue with sky subscription then no point in the suitcase, we were thinking though that if we can't subscribe when on the water then we'll have the Freesat available that comes with the suitcase set. I can' really get to my sky dish at home as we're in a flat and it's a bit too high for my liking laugh.gif so have to buy a dish whatever.

If you can operate your 240v Sky+ box on the boat, then you will still get your Sky OK, although you might not get the interactive as I think you need a phone line for that. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Steer clear of the suitcase type of set up if you can as the receiver is very basic, takes ages to get the channels in some sort of logical order & you won't get any red button or text services, plus its an expensive way to get a dish if you don't need a receiver.

I have my dish fixed to a tv arial pole which fits into a socket on the roof that I can tighten once the dish is aligned. All you need is a compass with the pointer on the base set to 28 degrees east of south, make sure you stand far enough away from the boat so that the steel doesn't affect the compass (usually about 6'), orientate the compass needle to north & your pointer should now point towards the satellite location. Orientate yourself in line with where your dish will sit on the roof along the line your compass is showing you so that you can see a landmark to align the dish to & you can then use a meter or your receiver's built in finder to fine tune the dish before you fix it. Handy tip, look around to see if there are any dishes already aligned elsewhere. Word of warning though, stand by to be frustrated as you keep finding the Astra 19.2E satellite instead of the Astra 28.2E satellite where your Sky & UK channels are located. You'll feel a bit like this until you get the hang of it: :banghead:

Edited by Spuds

now why would I want to do a thing like that.... ;)

Point taken though Freeview does seem more reliable up here than even when we were based in the Midlands...

Freeview is much better in the Midlands now as well, presumably they upped the power when analogue was switched off. Previous dead spots like Braunston are now fine with our egg whisk aerial. The only case in recent times I have had to break out the satellite dish was in Llangollen basin.

We actually have a poor digi signal even though we're very close to Devises, we only get BBC1 occasionally in good weather same with BBC 3 and 4 and a few other channels, so if we're staying on dry land for a further 5 months the Freesat should solve that issue.

Where near Devizes are you? You should get a reasonable Freeview digi signal if your aerial is OK. As someone has said, when they turned off the anologue signal they increased the power on the digital.

If you send me a PM I would be happy to come to you to try to sort it out for you.

Dave

Where near Devizes are you? You should get a reasonable Freeview digi signal if your aerial is OK. As someone has said, when they turned off the anologue signal they increased the power on the digital.

If you send me a PM I would be happy to come to you to try to sort it out for you.

Dave

Hi Dave

We're in Seend, aerial is on a long pole all connections good. I think it's due to a row of trees as in the winter when leaves are gone we get a perfect picture and loads of extra channels. Thanks for the offer though but might get a dish anyway, will let you know though.

Just found out I can watch live SKY TV from my laptop, but only whilst subscribed via land address and only access to subscribed channels, so that will keep me going for a few weeks until we unsubscribe. I'll have to chat up a mate or family member to enable to get live tv via their subscription.

Live TV picture isn't brilliant though but acceptable much like analog reception

http://shop.satellit...h-kit-330-p.asp

My reaction would be how is this going to handle being in a strong wind on the roof?

You could always find one of your land locked friends or family with a sky subscription and bung them the £10 per month extra and get your sky box added as a multi room ... you won't have sky+ but you will have sky for a bargain tenner a month (not sure about all the sports though .. you will need to ask Sky what you get as a multi room addition, ie whether its the basic or you get all the channels that the main box gets).

Hi Dave

We're in Seend, aerial is on a long pole all connections good. I think it's due to a row of trees as in the winter when leaves are gone we get a perfect picture and loads of extra channels. Thanks for the offer though but might get a dish anyway, will let you know though.

Just found out I can watch live SKY TV from my laptop, but only whilst subscribed via land address and only access to subscribed channels, so that will keep me going for a few weeks until we unsubscribe. I'll have to chat up a mate or family member to enable to get live tv via their subscription.

Live TV picture isn't brilliant though but acceptable much like analog reception

Sky Go

it is then - don't forget it comes off your data allowance...

I have one of theses and it's brilliant. Not the cheapest dish but very well respected. They now also do a twin LNB version is you want the full Sky+ or HD+ features.

I have the single one and it's spot on taking only a very short time to find the satellite. For get any compasses on a metal boat, just use you canal guid to find north then start east and move south slowly. Make sure the elevation is set right.. On the multimo mine is set at 29° and shold not need to change much if at all over much of the canal range in England..

I'm confused -

so many posts referring to different things, so here's my thoughts but some points may relate to different posts from different people.

Sky supplies Broadband / telephone speech services AND satellite broadcasting depending on how much you want to spend. Simple so far.

Folks can receive satellite broadcasts via their broadband connection as part of the satellite subscription

Go boating and the telephone line connection is lost (obviously) so no tv on the laptop.

Sky+ works on our boat so no problem there unless a multi-room subscription is involved - where a connected phone line is required.

An ordinary Sky receiver works and will receive all the free to air broadcasts (BBC ITV etc) without a Sky card and some extras with an expired SKY card as well as other Sky channels if you have an active subscription card. The SKY program guide (IMHO) is the best on the block and easy for all condition of folks (!) to use. You get a 7 (or is it 14) day guide - useful.

Any satellite dish will work. We use a Triax version as the boom that holds the LNB (Low Noise Block) folds; we store the dish when we travel.

The suitcase kits are basic but good value but they are NOT FREESAT - so you only get a basic programme guide.

Freesat - if you like - is a poor man's (or perhaps sentient man's) alternative. You get all the free to air channels plus some others that are not. It has a 7 day EPG, not as good or quick as Sky's but very usable. Recorders are available and a plus is that you can watch recorded programmes without having a connection to the satellite. You can't do that with Sky

Satellite signals only require a clear view to 28.2 SofE at about 26 deg: elevation - it's always in the same place so easy to estimate before you stop for the night.

Freeview changes in direction depending on where you are and it's a complete pain to work that out even if you don't move huge distances. That's why we use satellite.

As to what dish - you pays yer money and takes yer choice. All will work with any receiver. For me the easiest is a vertically (in two directions) mounted socket (short tube) on the front deck, into which I pop the adapted dish and rotate it slowly until the sat finder beeps loudly. If the dish is not true vertically then you'll never get a signal. Been there, done it.

Hopefully the above may help some people...

Edited by OldGoat

Pretty much sums it up.

Our set up is however a multiroom box.. Every so often Sky write and tell us they can't dial our box, so I take it home and ring and say the problems been fixed. That seems to sort them for a while.

Elevation is very important. Once set though it won't need changing unless you move many miles north or south and only then very little.

Personally I wouldn't bother with an aerial. The spot as you say is always in the same spot and seldom is the view blocked.

We have magic eye in the bedroom and it all works a treat. Even the quality is better on HD using the coax out than it is on the standard box.

I have just bought a brand new suitcase type sat dish from preloved for £25 - comes with sat finder and all the bits.

I have spoken to Sky and after getting the run around I have been told to ask for a second hand subscription. This means you have the dish and sat receiver so just want the card. The card costs £25 (as a one off or for 3 years they said) which will get you Sky 1 etc or you can subscribe to a package (you dont need a phone line) which means no one off payment but obviously its the cost of which ever programmes you want to include. I have done the movies for about £40 and then got a magic eye for the bedroom TV.

Hope that helps

Louise

I have just bought a brand new suitcase type sat dish from preloved for £25 - comes with sat finder and all the bits.

I have spoken to Sky and after getting the run around I have been told to ask for a second hand subscription. This means you have the dish and sat receiver so just want the card. The card costs £25 (as a one off or for 3 years they said) which will get you Sky 1 etc or you can subscribe to a package (you dont need a phone line) which means no one off payment but obviously its the cost of which ever programmes you want to include. I have done the movies for about £40 and then got a magic eye for the bedroom TV.

Hope that helps

Louise

Hi Louise

Sky seem to know little of their own services. I called earlier and was told that basically we couldn't get their services from a boat. They suggested trying Now TV which turned out to be a film subscription package, how useless is that and what relation to live TV wacko.gif

Anyway Lynn earlier found out about the card you mention from a camping forum somewhere on line, In fact we actually have a Freesat card we haven't used for years as we were Freesat prior to signing up for SKY and you can use this instead of paying the £25.00 fee then add packages from Sky.

We'll look in to this further now and see what transpires.

Hi Louise

Sky seem to know little of their own services. I called earlier and was told that basically we couldn't get their services from a boat. They suggested trying Now TV which turned out to be a film subscription package, how useless is that and what relation to live TV wacko.gif

Anyway Lynn earlier found out about the card you mention from a camping forum somewhere on line, In fact we actually have a Freesat card we haven't used for years as we were Freesat prior to signing up for SKY and you can use this instead of paying the £25.00 fee then add packages from Sky.

We'll look in to this further now and see what transpires.

Any Sky services you subscribe to are available on Sky GO not Sky now...

Accessible via. laptop and phone...and other compatible device..