Cleaning cratch cover

seadog42uk

Featured Posts

Cleaned ours with bio wash powder, scrubbing brush & lots of elbow grease, came up great & worked far better than the auto glym fabric hood cleaner that we had wasted money on.

This is a job we need to do too, and I was just going to use warm soapy water and a scrubbing brush to do it. However, somebody at our moorings has suggested the fabric hood may need "re-waterproofing" if we scrub it too much.

I wonder, has anyone had a fabric hood lose its waterproofness after it has been cleaned like this?

Jo

Edited by Daftmare

This is a job we need to do too, and I was just going to use warm soapy water and a scrubbing brush to do it. However, somebody at our moorings has suggested the fabric hood may need "re-waterproofing" if we scrub it too much.

I wonder, has anyone had a fabric hood lose its waterproofness after it has been cleaned like this?

Jo

It depend on the fabric. Ours is fabric backed with a thick, shiny vinyl layer so no waterproofing required at all. If it looks like fabric on both sides maybe it will need reproofing after you have cleaned it.

After mooring our boat near to trees for a while, has anyone any tipes on cleaning the green off the cratch cover?

I know you're apparently not supposed to, but I took mine off, layed it on a concrete slab and jetwashed it!

It came up a treat, took about twenty mins and it seems to have suffered no ill effects.

It was filthy too.

I've posted this reply before, at one time I valeted floating "Gin Palaces" down on the Broads and the best way (and easiest) is to purchase some "Boat Wash in a Bottle" made by Starbrite. Damp the canopy/cratch and use a spray bottle (hand or garden sprayer) to spray the dirty item with it, work in with a stiff broom and allow to soak for a while and then just hose off, repeat if need be.

Needless to say we used a commercial detergent but Starbrite comes very close. Another good product is "Foaming Deck Scrub" this is magic for cleaning no-slip decks or roofs.

Phil