biodegradable shower gel

Pat

Featured Posts

Just wondering how many of you use biodegradable shampoo and shower gel, and if you can recommend any good brands? I really like the Ecover washing up liquid, but am keen to find a really good biodergadable shower gel and shampoo.

Cheers!

Just re-read this and realized that this post makes me sound like some kind of washer woman. I'll be asking about knitting next...

Edited by Pat

Just wondering how many of you use biodegradable shampoo and shower gel, and if you can recommend any good brands? I really like the Ecover washing up liquid, but am keen to find a really good biodergadable shower gel and shampoo.

Cheers!

Just re-read this and realized that this post makes me sound like some kind of washer woman. I'll be asking about knitting next...

Nothing wrong with knitting. I am currently knitting myself a new set of fenders. I may even entice Snibble to come and compare with his industrially sheathed jobbies on the basis of this is how a woman solves the problem compared to a beer hamster.

Shower gel and shampoo is less of a problem - we use Aveda products which are nice but pricy although they seem to last a long time, smell lovely and are thoroughly okay. Their best product though is the almightily named 'Hand Relief' which is a must for any boater! :cheers: Avoid Molton Brown who tend to sell at the same price but are not in the same ballpark for biodegradability and no nasty chemicals.

Jill

Nothing wrong with knitting. I am currently knitting myself a new set of fenders. I may even entice Snibble to come and compare with his industrially sheathed jobbies on the basis of this is how a woman solves the problem compared to a beer hamster.

Shower gel and shampoo is less of a problem - we use Aveda products which are nice but pricy although they seem to last a long time, smell lovely and are thoroughly okay. Their best product though is the almightily named 'Hand Relief' which is a must for any boater! :cheers: Avoid Molton Brown who tend to sell at the same price but are not in the same ballpark for biodegradability and no nasty chemicals.

Jill

Thanks Jill, That's great. I'll certainly give Aveda a try. And I like the sound of the hand relief!

• 4 weeks later...

Ecover also do shower gel, and handsoap, washing powder, all sorts of cleaning products. Waitrose stock the full range, and the Ecover website shows which supermarkets stock what. We have been just ordering a big batch from Waitrose home delivery every so often. You can even book an environmentally friendly delivery slot (when they're already delivering to your area - which is also cheaper!).

Will.

Cheers!

I am a big fan of the Faith in Nature products, not too expensive, and completely bio-degradable and ethical, etc. I've not seen it in supermarkets, I get it from health food type shops and the shampoo and conditiors and shower gel are gorgeous. They smell nice and work well!

I don't use shower gel as it's all bubble and water! We use 'Lush' shampoo in a solid cake you just scrub on your head! Is better than it sounds, I promise ;)

It's vegan and not tested on animals and made of natural ingredients. You can read exactly what's in each one so avoid the chemicals you don't want. For the rest, I use soap - can't remember the make but it's made of hemp!

Washing-up, cleaning surfaces & laundry is all Ecover. My advice - based on an ancient 'Tomorrow's World' prog. on TV is not to be seduced by bubbles. You don't need tons of froth to get things clean.

And does Mr Wrigglefingers use this very often?

Sorry Carl and Chris,

no men on our boat, unless you count Astro-the-Cat ... and he has no balls at all; a source of constant bewilderment to him ("hmmm, they were here, I knew I had some, where they gone then?"). Seems to think I had something to do with the mystery; can't imagine why........ ;)

And it may be stating the obvious, but Astro, like so many men, is stretched out on the floor asleep being absolutely no use whatsoever, as I'm currently in a big mess with stern gland grease. All he's done is walk through the half empty pot and then resisted capture for ten minutes to allow me to clean his paws. Mind you he won't need the Hand Relief now for some time as his claws are beautifully moisturised.

Love, Shep

Ecover also do shower gel, and handsoap, washing powder, all sorts of cleaning products.

Yeah, i was doing to mention that when i read the title

I don't use shower gel as it's all bubble and water! We use 'Lush' shampoo....

All the 'lush' stuff is weird. And the smell as you walk into the shop!!!

- That said, there "karma" soap has become common-place in our bathroom, and it is quite nice!

I also dont use showergel as it often doesnt agree with my skin, i just stick with the "simple" soap.

Daniel

• 1 year later...

Just digging around for advice on this matter and found this rather old thread. Anyone have any new advice to add. I just want to make sure that what I put straight into the cut isnt going to harm it.

Cheers!

Encover do it .What's wrong with using washing up liquid it saves on storage and youll probibly pick up the shower gell instead anyway all packaging looks the same

We use the ecover products. The showe gel doubles as a shampoo and is actually quite nice as well. All of it 100% biodegradable and even though the containers are recyclable, you can get them refilled.

The ecver site lets you check for refill stockists in the area.

Just digging around for advice on this matter and found this rather old thread. Anyone have any new advice to add. I just want to make sure that what I put straight into the cut isnt going to harm it.

Avoid anything with sodium laureth sulphate. It's a cheap, harsh detergent and it's in almost anything and everything . Yes - even Lush shampoo bars have it in. You've got to learn to read the labels.

I've seen it as an ingredient in lots of products labelled organic and natural.

I'd advise going back to good old fashioned soap, but again, you need to read the label as some cleansing bars and soaps are full of evil, too.

We use Australian Organics shampoo (from Holland and Barrett) and soap and that's it. We use Ecover for cleaning and laundry and lemon juice for the bog (thanks BSP!)

the shampoo soaps from www.naturallythinking.co.uk don't have SLS or parabens or any nasties in them. We also don't use shower gel or liquid hand soaps as it just creates excess landfill/recycling (depending on where you are) from the bottles. naturally thinking do nice bar soaps too though.

Avoid anything with sodium laureth sulphate. It's a cheap, harsh detergent and it's in almost anything and everything . Yes - even Lush shampoo bars have it in. You've got to learn to read the labels.

I've seen it as an ingredient in lots of products labelled organic and natural.

Me too.

I went to a lecture on toxicity some years ago, with my neighbour who was a beautician. It was looking into the products that beauticians handle everyday (hair dyes, exfoliators, shampoos, make up etc) and how that can affect their health, get into the bloodstream etc. It was quite an eye-opener and sodium laurel/laureth sulphate was one of the big baddies. It's basically the same stuff that's used to strip oil from mechanics' garage floors and yet it's put into cosmetic products to give them a creamy gloopy texture and to act as a detergent. Bleurgh!

Also methylparaben and propylparaben are used as preservatives in many cosmetics despite having been linked with cancer.

The cosmetic industry is worth so much much and is largely self-regulating so nobody's stepping in to fund further tests to see whether what we're being sold is causing us harm in the long run. The trouble is not so much that your shampoo has sodium laureth sulphate in it, but more that so does your conditioner, shower gel, shaving foam, hair gel, make up etc etc. before you know it we're being steeped in the chemicals repeatedly everyday. Kinda reminds me of "Joker Products" from Batman - where Jack Nicholson's character devises cosmetics that singularly are harmless but when used in multiple combinations kills people! "Chances are you bought 'em already"

P.S. The reason SLS appears in some allegedly "natural" products is that it can be derived from palm oil - but it's still dangerous stuff.

Cheers!

Seeing as this is live at the moment............thought I'd add my two penneth........the Forever living products are brilliant! They do all kinds of products, but.slightly off the subject..i've found their MPD

(multi purpose detergent) is great for everythig from washing boat down, laundry, washing up, clothes, general cleaning, it even gets wine out of carpets, and does the oven!!!! Seems pricey, but VERY concentrated so lasts for months, and it's all Aloe Vera based, so all goood stuff!...........I should be a rep!

And, of course, from all good chandleries!!

We stock most of the Ecover range including washing up liquid refills.

Well yes, but where's the fun in buying from a shop, when there's the option of buying from a boat?