hire boat sunk in lock

GoodGurl

Featured Posts

yes they have planks in place at both ends but have a problem with leaks at the side which they bunged up with black bags.

Oh dear. Two buckets of ashes will seal lock stop planks until they barely weep.

My purely speculative guess would be the adults were letting the kids work the lock and simply not supervising, given goodboy's comment about the child operating the bottom paddles.

this is correct, after speaking to the anglo welsh engineer that took the boat away, he said it was sat on the cill and they all jumped off and left it to sink. but im still not sure why the front button came off

he also said the chain on the front button would not hold the weight of the boat and were designed to break.

My purely speculative guess would be the adults were letting the kids work the lock and simply not supervising, given goodboy's comment about the child operating the bottom paddles.

Apparently the scout leader said "Don't blame me, the kids were in charge."

this is correct, after speaking to the anglo welsh engineer that took the boat away, he said it was sat on the cill and they all jumped off and left it to sink. but im still not sure why the front button came off

Strange though because the boat is clearly not on the sill in the photo. Must have slipped off after the bow flooded, which seems unlikely.

Mike

Is this a fact - or just a malicious comment?

Malicious?

If that's how you view it then it says far more about you than me.

Nothing I post is malicious but if that's how you choose to interpret it then you have my sympathy.

Malicious?

If that's how you view it then it says far more about you than me.

Nothing I post is malicious but if that's how you choose to interpret it then you have my sympathy.

I apologise of course if the comment was not intended to be malicious.

What was the intent?

More likely that they opened all the paddles and flooded the boat from the front - door are open. I guess it depends on how large the cill is though - makes me think twice about nipping into the boat to get a cold beer....

Yes those submersible pumps are more powerful than they look. And they need to be powerful enough to beat water entering through sink and shower wastes ect as well as other leaks around doors ect.

When we fitted out my boat i had quick turn valves/taps placed in line to the outlets but easy to get to, in the hope that if we ever did have the unfortunate we could at least try to stop water coming in that way

luckily i have never had to try them but you guys and girls seem to know a bit about this subject and just wondered if it was a good move or a waste of time/money

genuinely interested in any advise

thanks

Steve

What a poor show that is.

I see theres another one done it now in a really deep lock :closedeyes:

Where?

More likely that they opened all the paddles and flooded the boat from the front - door are open. I guess it depends on how large the cill is though - makes me think twice about nipping into the boat to get a cold beer....

I'd be interested to hear how opening the paddles could flood the front of a boat going downhill in a lock, with the paddles letting water out of the lock.

" I'd be interested to hear how opening the paddles could flood the front of a boat going downhill in a lock, with the paddles letting water out of the lock. " Yes I realised that after I read my post again.... but... perhaps it got stuck on the sill and they opened all the paddles to re-fill lock... then again the boat wouldn't have been near the front of the lock... I shall now stop digging.....