Three dongle won't work

Zayna

Featured Posts

Hiya... so we're finally aboard our new boat, here's me with my new laptop (on the marina's wifi for the next hour or so), and we've brought my chap's Three dongle modem thingy and it isn't bl**dy working, giving me the error message DATA MODEM INVALID.

Now, is it because it's old and my laptop is new, I've googled and I'm getting some info about Windows 7 and you should do this and that, but should I just sack it off and go and get myself a dongle of my own, seeing as I'll be doing this regularly now?

DATA MODEM INVALID
Mine says that as part of its booting-up. Give it a couple of minutes and it recovers and starts being a useful device. If it's the first time used it though, then it might mean what it says :-)

Is it the plug in dongle or the Huawie MIFI dongle?

If its the MIFI jobbie I think it will need to be connected via the data cable to the lap top to initialise the connection. After that it should connect via WIFI

I've always found 3's customer service to be excellent but in my area at the moment coverage is a bit thin.

Paul

Hiya... so we're finally aboard our new boat, here's me with my new laptop (on the marina's wifi for the next hour or so), and we've brought my chap's Three dongle modem thingy and it isn't bl**dy working, giving me the error message DATA MODEM INVALID.

Now, is it because it's old and my laptop is new, I've googled and I'm getting some info about Windows 7 and you should do this and that, but should I just sack it off and go and get myself a dongle of my own, seeing as I'll be doing this regularly now?

Try putting the dongle either close to a window or better still out of the window.

On most computers they will self install. Just follow any instructions. Or go to Taskbar, task manager ''Applications''or services, the facility might be turned off.

Edited by bizzard

Try putting the dongle either close to a window or better still out of the window.
Yes good advice and may need to do that. The DATA MODEM INVALID appears before the thing knows whether it has a signal or not as part of its set-up process

Thanks for your speedy replies!

I'll give it a go nearer a window, thanks. It installed itself or whatever it does, right away when I plugged it in, it's put a shortcut on my desktop and all that, it just gives me that error message when I hit 'connect'.

Not the end of the world if I don't get it sorted this week but it would be nice, I'd like to keep you all on the edges of your seats with updates of our journey!

:cheers:

Edited by Zayna

Thanks for your speedy replies!

I'll give it a go nearer a window, thanks. It installed itself or whatever it does, right away when I plugged it in, it's put a shortcut on my desktop and all that, it just gives me that error message when I hit 'connect'.

Not the end of the world if I don't get it sorted this week but it would be nice, I'd like to keep you all on the edges of your seats with updates of our journey!

:cheers:

Its intalled ok. As Grahame says try the dongle in the window or outside, even take your laptop and dongle for a walk or a car ride to try it elswhere, if it then works you'll know its your boats loacation.

Another thought. You need to plug the dongle in AFTER you have started the computer. I always start the computer, let it settle down for a minute or so then plug in the dongle. If it's like mine, there'll be a green light flashing, this needs to turn to light blue before it will connect. As Bizzard has said, take the whole lot outside and do it on the roof.

Is it the 64bit version of Windows7? Maybe the reason.

USB dongles are notoriously bad at picking up signals inside a boat unless they're right up against a window. If it works up against the window, obviously it makes it impossible to use the laptop! Get a USB extension cable from somewhere like Maplin for the length you need to stick the dongle in the nearest window from your usual working position They come in various lengths from 1 metre upwards. Make sure it has a male plug & a female socket, the packaging is usually labelled "M/F" to indicate the cable's connectors.

Have fun. :D

Yello,

I would first deinstall the 3 software and replug to a different USB port. Also re-seat the SIM card in the dongle. Then when you plug back up it should reinstall the software and initialise.

Don't press connect until the dongle has scanned the device. As Blizzard said, you should first get a flashing green led. then a dim blue when connected. A bright blue led will tell you that HSPA+ is operating.

Malc. B)

My 3 dongle must be about as old as they can be, it's an early version.

When your dongle gives a 'Data modem invalid', or whatever, just hang on before exiting and trying again. It happens alot with mine. Just sit tight for a while and see if it sets up properly. I get this same message. Give it a few moments.

Providing it's compatable with Windows 7, and I can't see why it shouldn't be, and it's installed properly.

With the early original versions of the dongle, it came with another cable to install. Once installed, then used the single USB cable. But, it certainly helps if you use an extension cable and hang dongle at a window.

I had exactly the same problem a couple of years ago with an old O2 dongle, but a new laptop with Windows 7. It worked fine with my old laptop. Took it to an O2 "guru" (twice in different towns). They just couldn't get it to work. Something to do with the Windows 7 and old dongles. Sorry, I know that doesn't really help.

regards

Derek

I had exactly the same problem a couple of years ago with an old O2 dongle, but a new laptop with Windows 7. It worked fine with my old laptop. Took it to an O2 "guru" (twice in different towns). They just couldn't get it to work. Something to do with the Windows 7 and old dongles. Sorry, I know that doesn't really help.

regards

Derek

I've got a mix of branded dongles, but I'll only use Huawei products - because they can be unlocked AND reflashed with Huawei's Mobile Partner dashboard. Both an old model and a current one .

All work with W7 - but you do have to download an appropriate version ( a bit of a challenge if you haven't got another means of connection...)

"3"s software is good and works for me on W7 as well.