Warwickshire ring - Stratford or GU?

Amber34

Featured Posts

We are leaving from Warwick tomorrow, early boat pick up, and heading clockwise.

All the while I couldn't get CanalPlan to work for me I was thinking of going straight up the GU through Solihull. Today it is working again and the suggested route is to take the Stratford then W&B canal (I just clicked 'Warwickshire ring').

I realise there are a lot more locks if we take the Stratford route, but does it have any other advantages over going through Solihull? We have been to Gas Street Basin a few times (and really enjoy it there) so that is definitely one advantage, but any other thoughts please?

Thanks

Edited by Amber34

I like the run in on the GU but Knowle locks can be a b******r if its windy. They are heavy and not often used so a real challenge. Otherwise a pleasant journey a bit of country then some old industrial areas. Decent moorings at Catherine de Barnes.

I love Ashted locks, farmers bridge and gas street basin. THE BCN at it's best! So I would go GU if it were me. I am not so keen on the run from Catherine de Barnes to Camp Hill or the Camp Hill locks but you cant't have everything.Which ever way you go I hope you have a great trip and thst the sun shines for you!

I realise there are a lot more locks if we take the Stratford route, but does it have any other advantages over going through Solihull? We have been to Gas Street Basin a few times (and really enjoy it there) so that is definitely one advantage, but any other thoughts please?

In which case, I'm unclear what you are comparing......

For example, assuming you are coming up the GU from Warwick, and get to Kingswood Junction......

You can either carry on on the GU, or turn off onto the Northern Stratford, and ultimately the Worcester & Birmingham into Brum.

If it's Brum you are going to, then I think it is actually less locks, if you take the Stratford, (about 20 versus 30), because it is uphill all the way..... If you go the GU route in, you end up going downhill at Camp Hill, before then having a lot more locks to go uphill through at Ashtead and farmers Bridge.

I quite like the variety of the GU route, (I love the oddness of the farmer's Bridge flight), but despite what has been said by others, most will use the Stratford. The GU route, is very little used, and you will pass almost nobody. The Knowle locks always seem unusually hard work to me - perhaps because we always seem to do them in a massive downpour or hailstorm!

I love Ashted locks, farmers bridge and gas street basin. THE BCN at it's best! So I would go GU if it were me. I am not so keen on the run from Catherine de Barnes to Camp Hill or the Camp Hill locks but you cant't have everything.Which ever way you go I hope you have a great trip and thst the sun shines for you!

How I read the OP was "pure" Warwickshire ring v. North Stratford and the center of Birmingham. If you go the GU route and the pure Warwickshire ring you don't go to central Birmingham, so Ashted and Farmers bridge don't come into it as you go Garrison locks straight to Salford junction. Most people going that route to Catherine-de-Barnes to Curdworth in one hop.

If you want to go to central Birmingham, eg NIA area, then the North Stratford route has got to be the one to do, its nicer and less locks than the GU route if you want to go to central Birmingham, but more locks if you just want to get through Birmingham and out the other side.

Thanks for your advice, but we were a bit swayed by another boater. As we came up the Hatton flight on Saturday a chap coming down advised us to moor at Catherine De Baines overnight and get an early start to avoid being pelted with stones by the youths! There was no way we would have made that mooring by the evening, so headed up the Stratford and very pleased we did. Moored at the bottom of Lapworth and enjoyed turbot at The Boot, stopped at The Bluebell cider house for a couple at lunchtime on Sunday, which led to some impromptu afternoon napping, then moored at Gas Street Basin last night, although we were all a bit too shattered to enjoy it!

We came down Farmer's Bridge in the off and on showers this morning but had brilliant assistance from a chap who was kindly working the locks with me. We were expecting to see a lock keeper there, but this guy was not dressed as though lock keeping (smart shirt and dress shoes)although had his own windlass and pointed out the C&RT chief executive after they had stopped for a chat. We also met a chap at Cambrian wharf who was bringing back his ebay purchase (nb: Time Traveller) from Bath to Chester - looked like he got himself a bargain!

The canals have been remarkably quiet and once the sun came out again, we had a lovely afternoon cruising, not passing a boat for over three hours. Currently moored at the Dog and Doublet at Bodymoor Heath, but too full of dinner to venture out for a pint.

Fingers crossed for lovely weather tomorrow.

Now for the Warwickshire ring it's the GU route for me, less locks and interesting way through Brum. However if we're going into the centre then it's the North Stratford.

I really really dislike farmers bridge, I find it really oppressive to be under those buildings, and we've had more unpleasantness from the locals on that flight than on the ones one the GU. It's so enclosed you can feel really intimidated if someone's hanging around, as there was last time we did it.

I quite like Knowle, but then we've learnt how to do them, you always wait in one lock till the next ones ready for you because it's always windy there.

We don't find Garrison too bad either, though there are others who don't like them.

Glad you got through OK, and enjoyed the experience, the BCN is a good place to visit.

Sue

I really really dislike farmers bridge, I find it really oppressive to be under those buildings, and we've had more unpleasantness from the locals on that flight than on the ones one the GU. It's so enclosed you can feel really intimidated if someone's hanging around, as there was last time we did it.

It just proves it is all down to your experience on the day, doesn't it.

We have never had any issues at Farmers Bridge, and it has never struck me as somewhere that you might.

But, as you say, some of it is very enclosed, (and some very very enclosed), so if one had found people less than friendly there, I can see it could be intimidating.

How I read the OP was "pure" Warwickshire ring v. North Stratford and the center of Birmingham. If you go the GU route and the pure Warwickshire ring you don't go to central Birmingham, so Ashted and Farmers bridge don't come into it as you go Garrison locks straight to Salford junction. Most people going that route to Catherine-de-Barnes to Curdworth in one hop.

If you want to go to central Birmingham, eg NIA area, then the North Stratford route has got to be the one to do, its nicer and less locks than the GU route if you want to go to central Birmingham, but more locks if you just want to get through Birmingham and out the other side.

You are absolutely right John and I was absolutely wrong! I was thinking Avon ring not Warwick ring .... sorry ... I'll get my map out next time!

Nick

<snip>

<snip>

Sue

It just proves it is all down to your experience on the day, doesn't it.

We have never had any issues at Farmers Bridge, and it has never struck me as somewhere that you might.

But, as you say, some of it is very enclosed, (and some very very enclosed), so if one had found people less than friendly there, I can see it could be intimidating.

We haven't found people to be unfriendly there, for Sue it's the atmosphere of the flight.

My problem with Farmer's Bridge is how open and modern it now is, much less enclosed than I remember it in the 1970's. More of it's 19th century charm has gone each time we go there

Richard

I did this ring anti clockwise last month and because I wasn't sure of timing I decided to take the Garrison/Camp Hill locks route. Whilst I only had one interaction with locals, being single handed, I did feel constantly nervous. I did from Curdworth to Catherine de Barnes straight through in a day. A lot of the canal, especially around Bordesley Junction and up Camp Hill, had an incredible amount of rubbish floating around. Seemed like whole dustbin bags. In hindsight I wish I'd taken the route into central Birmingham and out on the Stratford even though I would have been a bit pushed for time.

• 3 weeks later...

We are new to this Forum and have been reading it trying to gain info on the warwickshire ring. We are picking up our boat from Kate boat's yard in Warwick and would like to do the ring 'clockwise'in 1 week. Can anyone please give us guidance on where we would need to be in order to get back on time at the end of each day. The one thing that worries me is getting back late.

We would ideally like to have lunch/dinner at pubs during the day.

Amber your route looks like one we would like to copy, where did you moor each night?

Thanks for any help you can give, any other hints or tips would be appreciated (dog friendly pubs ect)

Cheers

Paul

We are new to this Forum and have been reading it trying to gain info on the warwickshire ring. We are picking up our boat from Kate boat's yard in Warwick and would like to do the ring 'clockwise'in 1 week. Can anyone please give us guidance on where we would need to be in order to get back on time at the end of each day. The one thing that worries me is getting back late.

We would ideally like to have lunch/dinner at pubs during the day.

Amber your route looks like one we would like to copy, where did you moor each night?

Thanks for any help you can give, any other hints or tips would be appreciated (dog friendly pubs ect)

Cheers

Paul

Warwickshire ring as you probably know is an energetic week, and you have 4 very energetic days, and day 1 needs to get up Hatton if you possibly can. Assuming you want to go the North Stratford route, here are some suggested overnight stopping locations

1. Lapworth (or top of Hatton if you don't get off so early)

2. Central Birmingham

3. Dog and Doublet, Curdworth

4. Bottom Athertone locks

5. Rugby

6. Napton Junction

7. below Radford bottom lock

Warwickshire ring as you probably know is an energetic week, and you have 4 very energetic days, and day 1 needs to get up Hatton if you possibly can. Assuming you want to go the North Stratford route, here are some suggested overnight stopping locations

1. Lapworth (or top of Hatton if you don't get off so early)

2. Central Birmingham

3. Dog and Doublet, Curdworth

4. Bottom Athertone locks

5. Rugby

6. Napton Junction

7. below Radford bottom lock

We did the Warwickshire Ring from Kate Boats a good few years ago, and followed a similar plan. As I recall, we 'accidentally' arrived in Warwick early (about lunchtime), and phoned to ask if the boat was ready. It was, so we set off in good time and got to the top of Hatton on the first afternoon. The next day was central Birmingham, then all the way to Fazeley Junction. We then did a very long day to Hawkesbury Junction, which gave us time the next morning to go into Coventry and back, and on to Newbold. The next night was at Calcutt, then Leamington Spa, giving a short run back to Warwick on the last morning.

I'm not sure we'd do such long days these days!

Thanks for the overnight stop suggestions, we have put them into canalplanner & now have a route to follow and so should know where we will need to be each day in order to get back in time, thanks very much for your responses, very much appreciated.

Paul

I'm a bit late, but we followed very similar stops to those listed, although spent one evening at Braunston and wandered up the pretty town.

Really good route but hard work for the first few days. We picked our boat up early from Kate Boats, the downside of which was that we travelled solo up the Hatton flight, which would have been easier in a pair and the time it took us (crew of myself, partner and work-shy 11 year old) probably counteracted getting the early start.