So how does one get hot water from the Alde in a heatwave?

Lady Muck

Featured Posts

So, it was 34 degrees in the back cabin yesterday. I had to grit my teeth and have a cold shower as our Alde thermostat only goes up to 30 degrees and therefore it wouldn't heat the hot water up.

Are there any workrounds for this or should I just intentionally fall out of the canoe with a soap on a rope this aft?

I will have to have a look and see if I can find this valve (if there is one). :)

Ours (there is a pair of them) are hidden under our back steps. Close to the cupboard where our calorifier lives but nowhere near the boiler!

Good hunting.

David

The thermostat is used to control the circulation pump, so you would need a thermostat bypass switch in order to run the pump in high ambient temperature, even if you did isolate the radiator circuit with a valve. Anyway in such temperatures a cold shower is just what is needed.

Anyway in such temperatures a cold shower is just what is needed.

That's what I thought once as I gaily flicked the valve from hot to cold, Gordon Bennett, I thought I was a gonner for a few long seconds as I fumbled to shut it off.

Won't be trying that again.

Depending on model of Alde there might be a constant run switch on the boiler....later ones (balanced flue) have it....earlier ones dont...its marked with a K and N...K is constant....N is via the thermostat....doesnt help if you use a timed stat and want it to come on via timer tho....does give you an option tho!

HTH

Cheers

Gareth

This reminds me of when we were buying the boat and having the survey done.

It happened to be a baking hot June day (remember those) and the surveyor could not get the Alde circulation pump to run. I was not much help, so that was marked down on the survey an non-operative. I raised with the broker that I was not happy with this and they referred to to be vendors, who came back that it should be working as it had recently been serviced.

Sure enough it turned out that it was just that it was too hot in the boat to get the thermostat to kick in and it works perfectly to this day! Lesson learned from me, although I still don't know if it is possible to have it do hot water only without heating the radiators.

The room thermostat supplied wih the Alde Comfort - the tall thin model - is basically a temperature controlled switch. If you have access to the electrical connections at the top of the boiler you can fit a bypass switch that over rides the thermostatic control.

We've fitted 12v valves in both calorifier and radiator plumbing circuits and a switch that is illuminated when turned on (to act as a reminder that the switch is on) so that we can have either or both circuits operating.

You could fit manually (instead of electrically) operated valves into the plumbing if they'd be easy to get to. We had to pull out our bed to get to one and we got to the other through an access panel in the engine room bulkhead which involved lifting part of the false floor over the engine. Can you guess why we changed to electrically operated valves?

The room thermostat supplied wih the Alde Comfort - the tall thin model - is basically a temperature controlled switch. If you have access to the electrical connections at the top of the boiler you can fit a bypass switch that over rides the thermostatic control.

We've fitted 12v valves in both calorifier and radiator plumbing circuits and a switch that is illuminated when turned on (to act as a reminder that the switch is on) so that we can have either or both circuits operating.

You could fit manually (instead of electrically) operated valves into the plumbing if they'd be easy to get to. We had to pull out our bed to get to one and we got to the other through an access panel in the engine room bulkhead which involved lifting part of the false floor over the engine. Can you guess why we changed to electrically operated valves?

Ray,

Would you mind providing details of the 12v operated valves please?

N