car hire

soffy

Featured Posts

We recently tried to hire a car from Avis - got a good deal on the phone (on a Thursday) for collecting car the following Tuesday at 9.30 to be collected from Stafford as I had to go to Cannock hospital for a painful procedure so we paid up front. On the Monday afternoon after 4pm we had a call to say they had no car for us and would not have on until maybe lunchtime on Tuesday. (I had to be at the hospital by then). There was no offer of putting themselves out to try to make a vehicle of any sort available to us. As they had therefore broken our contract we asked for a refund which still hasnt appeared in our bank account after 2 weeks. They then said we had to have an experian check so gave all our details (yet again) and lo and behold as we are not on an electoral roll they consider we are criminal and will nick the car. We have made several phone calls to Avis when they promised to look into the refund etc. but so far we have had no one ring us back. Great for such a huge international company - But had we been a foreign tourist we would have had no problem. Shame we didnt keep our Spanish driving licenses going....

Have any of you other liveaboards out there had a similar problem? :cheers::angry:

did you pay by credit card?

if so get on to the CC company and get a refund as Avis never delivered the goods.

We are not on the electoral roll but its never given us any problems hiring vehicles.

We recently tried to hire a car from Avis - got a good deal on the phone (on a Thursday) for collecting car the following Tuesday at 9.30 to be collected from Stafford as I had to go to Cannock hospital for a painful procedure so we paid up front. On the Monday afternoon after 4pm we had a call to say they had no car for us and would not have on until maybe lunchtime on Tuesday. (I had to be at the hospital by then). There was no offer of putting themselves out to try to make a vehicle of any sort available to us. As they had therefore broken our contract we asked for a refund which still hasnt appeared in our bank account after 2 weeks. They then said we had to have an experian check so gave all our details (yet again) and lo and behold as we are not on an electoral roll they consider we are criminal and will nick the car. We have made several phone calls to Avis when they promised to look into the refund etc. but so far we have had no one ring us back. Great for such a huge international company - But had we been a foreign tourist we would have had no problem. Shame we didnt keep our Spanish driving licenses going....

Have any of you other liveaboards out there had a similar problem? :cheers::angry:

There took you money so entered in to a contract, you have given them reasonable time to refund money now I would ring your local trading standards department and lodge a formal complaint.

Next time, try Enterprise; well used to boaters, collect you from the boat and return you to it.

No connection with the company, just a satisfied customer.

Likewise, I have used them several times for both cars and a van, they dropped the vehicle off and collected it at the end for no extra charge.

Next time, try Enterprise; well used to boaters, collect you from the boat and return you to it.

No connection with the company, just a satisfied customer.

And if you are with RCR you get a discount off their normal rate.

I have just had a car from Enterprise Stapleford as a courtesy car whilst mine was behbg repaired. Quite helpfull.

I don't have the 'boat as address' problem, but I wouldn't use a multinational car hire company as a matter of policy. Local firms generally give far better deals, if you are prepared to drive a car that's more than a year old.

Local firms usually won't pick you up and deliver you back to your boat. In my experience they tend to be more expensive than Enterprise. And they will pick you up from canalside as long as you can give them a post code.

As far as address problems for some liveaboards without a mooring Enterprise have always accepted our BW licence invoice.

They are accustomed to boaters, especially depots near to canals.

Likewise, I have used them several times for both cars and a van, they dropped the vehicle off and collected it at the end for no extra charge.

And thirded. I used them several times last year whilst cruising, told them I was N.F.A and they didnt care a jot. They also picked me up and dropped me back at my boat free of charge and megga cheap to hire also :cheers:

Tim

And thirded. I used them several times last year whilst cruising, told them I was N.F.A and they didnt care a jot. They also picked me up and dropped me back at my boat free of charge and megga cheap to hire also :cheers:

Tim

And fourthed. Absolutely no problems and always helpful whichever branch we've used. Wish they'd open in Europe!

I have had problems with an Enterprise branch.

The most significant being that they refused to return me home, claiming 'lack of staff'.

If you have some idea when you will be returning the car, I suggest you check that the return service is expected to be available.

I have previously used them without this problem, but when using the same Branch, in Chesterfield, I discovered they had moved premises, and apparently all the personnel. The two changes may not be related to the change in Customer Service standard, but they existed.

When you pick up the car, they quote you a 'per litre' fuel charge they will use if you return the vehicle with less fuel in than when you collect it. Ask if this price includes VAT, because it isn't clear on the final bill. The quoted price can sound attractive, compared to a typical forecourt price, so you can be tempted to return the car with less fuel in. However, if they are going to add VAT you are better taking the trouble to top up the tank yourself.

Also watch for them stressing the 'risk' of the £600 excess which you will have to pay, even for 'no fault' damage. You can take out a waiver for £500 of that, but the cost of £11.00 PER DAY boosts the daily charge by 50% (This was for a Band C car). Your decision, but I suggest it depends on how often your car was damaged, when you drove one regularly.

I might use them again, but I'll probably try a different office, as I seem to have the option open to me.

If you also have the option, compare prices offered for the same band of vehicle, even within a local area, say 15 miles radius of your address, you may well find a difference.

I inquired about dropping off a vehicle in Glasgow, to make a one way hire. Although the offices were close together, I was warned the Airport office was considerably more expensive that the 'street' office. As it happened, this deal didn't come to fruition.

HTH

Edited by Davidss

we too always use Enterprise for the same reasons as everyone else. Used Budget once. Took 7 days to get my deposit back. Enterprise do it on the day you return the car. True, it is a bit of a pain returning the car with the same amount of fuel as when you took it but if it has a trip computer fairly easy to work out.

Never had a problem with collection or return. Even from Bardney Lock last month which is not an easy place to find.

CDW is expensive at around £10 day but as a serial hirer I use www.insurance4carhire.co.uk at about £50 for the year. Enterprise inspection is fairly cursory, they use a bit of plastic about 3" by 2", any scratch or dent bigger than that they charge you for.

I probably hired 12 times or more last year (pity they don't have a loyalty scheme) from 6 or 7 different branches with no problems. I recommend them to any boater.

Regards

Pete

>>>Local firms usually won't pick you up and deliver you back to your boat. In my experience they tend to be more expensive than Enterprise.<<<

A couple of sweeping generalisations there, I fear.

I've nothing against Enterprise - their online booking system works well in my experience - but a pickup is often negotiable with local firms if you bother to phone them, and there are always such things as buses, taxis and shanks's.

A couple of sweeping generalisations there, I fear.

I've nothing against Enterprise - their online booking system works well in my experience - but a pickup is often negotiable with local firms if you bother to phone them, and there are always such things as buses, taxis and shanks's.

Very occasionally I have come across a local car hire firm that will pick me up, but only if I pay extra. There is a company operating around the Stoke-on-Trent area with a few depots and they were cheaper than Enterprise. The last time I checked, about three weeks ago, they were more expensive. And they did not do pick ups.

The last time I hired a car it was to go from Stafford to Hemel Hempstead and back in a day. I must admit I didn't consider buses, taxis or shank's ponies. I did check rail fares but they were around the same overall cost and nowhere as convenient.

I fear your remark about sweeping generalisations was nonsense. Unless of course, you can supply a list of local, independent car hire companies that do undercut Enterprise.

We use HolidayAutos a lot and find them cheap, though normally this is pickup and drop off from Birmingham airport. Recently £102 for a week (smallest car). Sometimes you get Enterprise but the only slight irritation is that they actually take £200 off your credit card, though it is refunded fairly quickly. Other companies don't actually take money off your card, though they have of course swiped it and would debit it for damage etc. I also use Insurance4Carhire. I have never claimed but they seem to have a good reputation.