hvdb

Featured Posts

Yes, on straight bits I hold the tiller under my arm pit,

<snip>

I would have to kneel down to do that!

Richard

MORE: Richard in action on Cobbett:

stolenboat.jpg

I prefer to lean on the left side with the speedwheel in my left hand. And if that gets tiring, I lean on the right side with the tiller in my left hand

On Tawny Owl I have a whole variety of standing and sitting positions, cruisers stern...

Edited by RLWP

Cruiser stern for me any day, but I do have to handle and teach how to best use trad stern boats on a regular basis.

Standing side-on, so you're pushing/pulling is by far the best solution to avoid strain. As has been already mentioned, extra height may help?

It's taken me several years, but now I can steer competently using either my right or left hand...worth a thought? If you can alternate, it should reduce the strain a bit.

Janet

To me you should be standing sideways in the hatch way So you are pushin and pulling the tiller properly with the way you are standing you are using your shoulder in a way it's not designed to move all the time which will course damage to your joints

Stand with the front of your body to the tiller,pushing and pulling the tiller with right arm and with your head looking over your left shoulder.In the picture you like a first time hirer and neither in control or comfortable.

Do you mean like this? It may not be very clear, but I stand there leaning with my back to the side. In fact, looking back at my photo's I see that I often stand like this.

I can steer the boat with both hands, but being right-handed I hardly use my left hand, must try to remember to alternate.

IMG_3094-kopie.jpg

As for sitting on the roof: we do have wooden blocks and cushions that go on top for both sides of the cabin, I've never used them, I have some trouble getting onto the roof as it is a bit high for me.The box that has been suggested earlier may come in handy here as well.

Thank you all for your helpful replies, I'll try out your suggestions, although I'm not so sure about those imaginative ones of bizzard.;)

Helen

One of those small flip down steps or a little wooden batten just inside the hatches could be useful for getting a foothold and getting your bum up onto the cabin top. And as others have said, change position to remain comfortable.

I'm not convinced any of this indicates the inferiority of a trad though - once its set up properly I find it very comfortable to steer, whilst people Ive seen steering cruisers frequently look very uncomfortable - stooped, awkwardly reaching out for the controls, cold and wet...

One of those small flip down steps or a little wooden batten just inside the hatches could be useful for getting a foothold and getting your bum up onto the cabin top. And as others have said, change position to remain comfortable.

I'm not convinced any of this indicates the inferiority of a trad though - once its set up properly I find it very comfortable to steer, whilst people Ive seen steering cruisers frequently look very uncomfortable - stooped, awkwardly reaching out for the controls, cold and wet...

Jan on a (hired) cruiser stern boat -

IMG_0077.jpg

Not looking particularly comfortable....(and in the arc of the tiller too but we were green back then)

As suggested:

dscf4967m.jpg

Also useful for getting on and off the cabin roof when necessary as the outside steps can get slippery when wet.

Edited by Ray T

You could also consider a hinged tiller. Just being able to lift the tiler up instead of having to wriggle around it might help.

And it's not money wasted - a hinged tiller is very useful, you can get full rudder deflection in tight spaces like in side a lock, and is a good safety device when descending a lock, it cant catch on the lock-side.

people Ive seen steering cruisers frequently look very uncomfortable - stooped, awkwardly reaching out for the controls, cold and wet...

The inability to reach one's mug of coffee without letting go of the tiller is a further drawback.

To gain sufficient height there are always my adjustable Leggo soled shoes. :closedeyes:

:clapping:

I stand on a bag of coal when steering, and I am 5'9" anyway. I find that without it it's uncomfortable (and I don't feel as if I can see well enough over the roof either.)

That doesn't sound brilliantly safe, Star!

Stand with the front of your body to the tiller,pushing and pulling the tiller with right arm and with your head looking over your left shoulder.In the picture you like a first time hirer and neither in control or comfortable.

I agree (not about the first time hirer bit, everyone has to start somewhere).

You need to turn your body a little more to your right rather than facing straight forward.

Not entirely sure if these pictures help at all (they're the only ones I could find of me steering anything!)...

6966294744_e7d26f6b51.jpg

204 by imulford, on Flickr

2330359830_c6c21fd773.jpg

Below Claverdon Top Lock (33) - Stratford Canal by imulford, on Flickr

As well as experimenting with different steering positions, you could try a few gentle exercises to strengthen the rotator cuff muscles, which are the ones getting worked by steering that are most likely to be a bit weak. There's a Wikipedia bit here about it, but Googling "rotator cuff exercises" brings up a wide choice.

If you get pain or stiffness lower down your back, core muscle exercises would help too.

Needless to say, if either of you have any history of disease or injury to your backs, check things out with your GP first, and in any event take it very easy for starters. Tins of beans make a good substitute for dumbbells.

As suggested:

dscf4967m.jpg

Also useful for getting on and off the cabin roof when necessary as the outside steps can get slippery when wet.

Hi Ray R,

What is the use of the piece of rope (for want of a better word) that hangs in the corner next to the back door?

We have a similar one, it was on the boat when we bought her, and as we didn't know what it was for, we left it, thinking it must be there for a reason.

I have used it in the Thames locks, it kept the tiller more or less in one place, so I wouldn't be knocked off the boat when holding the ropes.

Are there any other ways it can be used?

Helen

Is there a hook the other side for one? Or a hole where a hook used to be?

Richard

I don't know, am not on the boat at the moment, will be back in a couple of weeks.

I looked at some photo's but as far as I can see there is no hook on the other side, can't tell whether there is a hole.

Can't remember if there was a hook.

If we want a tiller string on the other side as well, how do we get one?

IWe would like to do a course on knots and splices (we live in an area with many sailing clubs, so courses are held regularly) but are now not able to produce something like that.

Helen

Richard has answered it succinctly. There is similar string the other side of the entrance.

They have also been used on one occasion when our boat broke down and another boat kindly allowed us to brest up and took us to a boat yard.

I learnt a modicum of splicing and rope work when I used to sail offshore.

Helen, if you let me know the overall length, including loops I can splice a couple for you.

I know it is :smiley_offtopic: but tiller string in use:

pdvd000f.png

Info on knots and rope work for "the cut" here: http://www.knotkrazy.co.uk/manual.htm

and here: http://www.animatedknots.com/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

Edited by Ray T

Thank you very much, Richard, for answering my question. It allways amazes me how much knowledge there is on this forum.

And Ray T, that is a very kind offer! I'll gladly take it up, and will send you a PM.

Thanks again,

Helen