Rads & Header Tank

Boatman Al

Featured Posts

Hi

Can anyone point me in the direction of a place to buy some nice rads suitable for a back boiler system onboard? I dont want huge dated ex house ones.

Also, the header tank for such a system? How compact can i go? Its going to have to go bang smack in the middle of the corridor which isnt convenient but i cant figure out where else would be suitable as the stove is that side. so id like something either really small or relatively flat to fit up on the wall. what can be used and where should i look?

thanks

I use Screwfix for lots of bits and pieces and also for the rads fitted to the backboiler system. For the expansion bottle - you might find in a chandlers or suitable vehicle expansion bottle can do the job. The better ones will be able to accommodate plumbing-in with standard fittings.

However, I wouldn't place the bottle anywhere near places people pass. Tuck it away, if possible. The vehicle expansion bottle I'm using at the moment probably doesn't hold a litre and hasn't overflowed. I'm going to upgrade to a better type though.

Edited by Higgs

Found some nice rads on this link, cheers

They do say "radiators are for use on two pipe pumped indirect domestic and commercial central

heating installations"

and

We do not recommend the use of single feed indirect cylinders, as the possibility of aeration due to water

interchange may lead to corrosion.

is this anything to bear in mind with a pumpless system?

i have no where to position the tank other than in corridor where people pass. which is a bugger, but dont know how else to do it?

We use Geyser a lot for Rads in our boats, for example: funky black rads but lots of others that suit too, they also do a very neat 'tube on tube' towel rad that fits nicely under the gunwales.

Do you have an engine room or full height cupboard the header could fit in?

Edited by Ally

Cheers ally.

No engine room as its a cruiser stern. No cupboards down that side of boat at all. Bit of a pain where this system is concerned.

Can the tanks be placed anywhere else. I wa considering in the engine bay user back deck. But wouldn't be highest point so I guess gravity system wouldnt work

Can the tanks be placed anywhere else. I was considering in the engine bay user back deck. But wouldn't be highest point so I guess gravity system wouldnt work

It may work if it's a pressurised system with valve cap. But if it's an unsealed system, and below the level of system, it would drain too readily into the expansion bottle and overflow.

However, because there isn't a pump in the system I'm not sure a pressurised system would work well.

Edited to add - I don't think either way should the expansion bottle be placed below the system. It would make filling difficult.

Edited by Higgs

Hi,

I have replied to your other post :cheers:

Don't forget the rads your looking for have 4 tappings on the rads rather than just 2. You need these 4 tapping rads to utilize them for your gravity system. Flow/hot in at top. Cooler/cold return bottom opposite.

James. :cheers:

My header tank (for the Eberspacher and rads) is a small and flattened rectangular shape tucked behind a removable wall. And it has an overflow pipe leading out of the cabin so it can't overflow inside the boat. And better still it has a miniature ballcock and valve that automatically refills it, like a toilet cistern. Who supplied in only Black Prince could tell you as it is an ex hire boat. Clever design though. It also acts as the header tank for the engine coolant system. All very low maintenance.

Edited by BlueStringPudding

My header tank (for the Eberspacher and rads) is a small and flattened rectangular shape tucked behind a removable wall. And it has an overflow pipe leading out of the cabin so it can't overflow inside the boat. And better still it has a miniature ballcock and valve that automatically refills it, like a toilet cistern. Who supplied in only Black Prince could tell you as it is an ex hire boat. Clever design though. It also acts as the header tank for the engine coolant system. All very low maintenance.

Any chance we can see some photos of this shared header tank with details of the connections? Sounds interesting.

Thanks

RAP

Toolstation is a good place for the rads, I used an expansion vessel from a Mondeo, £5 from my local scrappy. Also picked up 6 go kart tyres for free at the time too (perfect for fenders)......

C.

Edited by jckm2000

Dont size the expansion tank too small. You need to allow for the water in the system to expand by 4% ?(0-100).

You can postion the header tank anywhere in the gravity system line, not just close to the stove, but it does need to be the highest point in the system. Have you considered putting in an extension to a more convenient location?