round bow narrow boat

owen

Featured Posts

Really? Looks to me like it is just a welded addition to the bow, to change the shape. No a completly different bow construction. Besides, the amount of space gain seems negligeble

We're talking at cross-purposes.

The Eco-hull is supposed to have numerous benefits to do with reducing wash, fuel consumption, lifting rubbish from the bottom, improving your complexion, plague, piles and palsy

A completely semi-circular bow is shorter than a conventional bow

Richard

There is one of those residing on the K&A around here. A funny shape that I wondered about before. ECO hull? How so?

IIRC, it's somewhat more hydrodynamic than a 'normal' narrowboat, so should result in better fuel efficiency. There were other claimed advantages with regard to the effect of the hull on the canal bottom, with the assertion that this would have advantages for flora and fauna, but I don't know how much data they had to make that assertion.

With regard to the OP, I'd suggest that for maximum volume in the bows, combined with ease of fabrication, it might be easier to go for a transom bow, as used in some Dutch barges (and pram dinghies, like a Mirror).

I don't think the ECO-hull worked very well in practice. Certainly I can remember catching one up on the Llangollen, who was making more wash than us; he pulled over and waved us past saying that boats had been passing him all week.

I don't think the ECO-hull worked very well in practice. Certainly I can remember catching one up on the Llangollen, who was making more wash than us; he pulled over and waved us past saying that boats had been passing him all week.

It was so successful that it was soon dropped by Alvechurch who made a big thing about its development (in conjunction with BW IIRC) and it featured in articles and their advertising as a 'good thing'.

Roger

There's a 'boat' with a semi circular bow on the Edwards school moorings down in Oxford.

It has a seni circle above the water line. Not sure what it is below the water line.

You can never tell what way it's supposed to be going (not that I've ever seen it move)

There's a 'boat' with a semi circular bow on the Edwards school moorings down in Oxford.

It has a seni circle above the water line. Not sure what it is below the water line.

You can never tell what way it's supposed to be going (not that I've ever seen it move)

PJ, what/where are the Edwards school moorings?

Cheers

Edited by LazWoodbine

PJ, what/where are the Edwards school moorings?

Cheers

They're the Agenda 21 moorings along the tow path by St Edwards lift bridge (B. 238)

Often referred to a the Edwards school moorings because the school playing field are opposite

Edited by Proper Job

They're the Agenda 21 moorings along the tow path by St Edwards lift bridge (B. 238)

Often referred to a the Edwards school moorings because the school playing field are opposite

Ah got it, thanks. Thought I had missed a potential mooring location...

im not sure i have done image search on google and ended up google eyed looking at all the pics but not managed to find a pic im sure ive seen one on the canal but i think it was a wide beam just wanted to look what the proportions looked like on a narrow boat searching on computers is not my strongest talent thats if i have any talent :unsure:

the idea being to have it 48 feet long with bedroom in bow with porthole above bed with no front deck to try and maximise internal living space

It doesn't have the cabin you describe, but Jebus which is now moored between Calcutt locks and Napton Junction perhaps has round bow you are after.

original.jpg

Edited by peter n

It doesn't have the cabin you describe, but Jebus which is now moored between Calcutt locks and Napton Junction perhaps has round bow you are after.

original.jpg

A somewhat ironic name, considering the "Jebus" is a set of bows designed to give Tom Puddings some hydrodynamic shape.

the idea being to have it 48 feet long with bedroom in bow with porthole above bed with no front deck to try and maximise internal living space

As Ditchcrawler suggests, it will be ptentially dangerous when cruising if you have no fore deck space at all.

A somewhat ironic name, considering the "Jebus" is a set of bows designed to give Tom Puddings some hydrodynamic shape.

I read it as Bejesus at first glance. Perhaps that's what the owner exclaimed the first time he/she saw it.

Interestingly, if you google Jebus one link you come to is Jebus.co.uk and that links to a tribute to Peter Else who designed the canoe bow boats at Fenny Marina.

ETA - and then goes on to talk about "Tom Pudding".

Edited by journeyperson

I read it as Bejesus at first glance. Perhaps that's what the owner exclaimed the first time he/she saw it.

Interestingly, if you google Jebus one link you come to is Jebus.co.uk and that links to a tribute to Peter Else who designed the canoe bow boats at Fenny Marina.

ETA - and then goes on to talk about "Tom Pudding".

Yes, that's where the image is linked from. It is one of those boats that I pass so regularly that I never think to take my own photo.

ETA: That site also has images of a square bow, although that seems to lift underway to reveal a more conventional underwater shape.

Edited by peter n

original.jpg

thanks thats a handy picture

I have a copy of the BW research paper, and cad drawings for the true cylindrical bow shape, if you want them.

By the way it has nothing at all in common with the underwater bulb seen on ocean going bulk carriers.

There are some horrendous bow shapes out there, like the one pictured, can we have a competition on this, i know a real nasty one.

cheers for your help is the bow similar to post number 36 if so would you send drawings if poss thanks

As long as you sign up to read it

Oh. I haven't been able to sign in for ages but I can still see it.

Edited to add: No, I seem to be signed in automatically on this machine.

Edited by carlt

I saw one of those canoe-like narrowboats at the water point in Cropredy last year and had a chat with the owner, who identified it as a "Colecraft Canoe-bow". It was about 33 feet long and the bow shape suited that size quite well, I thought; I don't think it would look right on a much longer craft.

The hull of Harvest was being built while 'Trojan' was being fitted out outside. The master boatbuilder had to reprimand a member of his staff who, in tribute to Harvest's flowing lines, had chalked "clear glass" and "green glass" over two of the portholes.