Gas pipe thickness

Featured Posts

In days of yore when town gas came on the scene,a great deal of the gas mains run into houses from the street main was made of a lovely metal,''Gunmetal''and possibly other non ferrous metals.The pipework was made up of old rifle barrels from redundant weapons used in all the wars we'd been at.These were all given to hundreds of machine shops all over the place by the ''Gaslight and Coke co''who threaded one end female and tother male so they'd all screw together.

Some still in use was discovered quite recently in north London i believe.

So that's the way to go with your boats folks.''Gun barrels''it should last at least 200 years.

And of course this kind of gas and water pipe is still commonly called ''barrel'',Gas barrel,Water barrel''because of the use of the rifle barrels.

Also probably the reason why you see loads of Bayonets in junk shops minus their rifles. BOOM BOOM!!!!!. :closedeyes

Edited by bizzard

The meter round my mums old house measures in cubic meters, I read the meter last week.

why do some people adopt the American spelling for metres, when they (the Americans) barely even recognise the existence of such units? It just perpetuates the ignorance and illiteracy of our transatlantic cousins. :unsure:

Even though it is compressed air pipe that will happily handle 200psi? What's gas pressure - 8psi?

Alex

8 PSI - no where near that much -typical propane pressures are 37-50 MilliBars (thousandths of a bar) AFTER the regulator. so 8PSI would be approx 500 milliBar.

Are they really, never noticed. They all seem to fit metric tube. - no they don't the 15 x 1/2" BSP connectors fit the taps to the pipe ! you're standard (metric)compression joint wouldn't dirty itself by going anywhere near a tap !

I'm afriad it beats me why 10mm and 15mm copper pipe is perfectly fine for gas (Natural and LPG) everywhere else except a boat....

I can't see, in the BSS guide, where it gives a BS number for copper pipe, it just says:

"LPG pipework must be made or either seamless copper tube, or stainless steel tube, or copper nickel alloy"

The LPG section mentions BS numbers for flexible pipe but none that I can see for copper.

I notice the same in the electrical section, no mention of single strand wiring being not allowed in a 240v system, just a requirement that all wire is correctly sized and protected.

Very confusing.

C.

8 PSI - no where near that much -typical propane pressures are 37-50 MilliBars (thousandths of a bar) AFTER the regulator. so 8PSI would be approx 500 milliBar.

Are they really, never noticed. They all seem to fit metric tube. - no they don't the 15 x 1/2" BSP connectors fit the taps to the pipe ! you're standard (metric)compression joint wouldn't dirty itself by going anywhere near a tap !

I'm afriad it beats me why 10mm and 15mm copper pipe is perfectly fine for gas (Natural and LPG) everywhere else except a boat....

I knew gas pressure was very low but hadn't realised it was so low - make the point even more.

Why are people recommending 15mm pipe when the hole in the hose connection at the gas regulator is less than 5mm?

Most modern boats I have seen all seem to be piped in 8-10mm (or imperial equivalent) seamless copper tube with compression fittings, it now seems they are all not to standard

Alex

What's this if not an adaptor?

ae2352.jpg

I can't see, in the BSS guide, where it gives a BS number for copper pipe, it just says:

"LPG pipework must be made or either seamless copper tube, or stainless steel tube, or copper nickel alloy"

The LPG section mentions BS numbers for flexible pipe but none that I can see for copper.

I notice the same in the electrical section, no mention of single strand wiring being not allowed in a 240v system, just a requirement that all wire is correctly sized and protected.

Very confusing.

C.

these requirements derive from the ISO/BSS standards that are prescribed for the RCD and represent good practice even if there is no requirement to produce an RCD DOC for the boat.

However all new boats sold on within 5 years (i.e. all commercially produced boats and most DIY fit-outs) must be issued with an RCD DOC.

Edited by ChrisPy

Whats wrong with rifle barrels.They're not even mentioned in the gas section of the BSS rules,too many joints i expect or something daft like that. :unsure:

iron pipe is strictly verboten.

Tim

iron pipe is strictly verboten.

Tim

We're not talking muskets Tim. Surely Martini-Henry or Lee-Enfield had gunmetal or hard brass barrels. :unsure: .303 is a good size for gas pipe and nice and thick too,also the rifling might help to speed the gas on its way albeit in twisted fashion like a Tornado or Barley sugar stick.

And i wonder what happened to all the sawn off shotgun barrels.

Edited by bizzard

We're not talking muskets Tim. Surely Martini-Henry or Lee-Enfield had gunmetal or hard brass barrels. :unsure: .303 is a good size for gas pipe and nice and thick too,also the rifling might help to speed the gas on its way albeit in twisted fashion like a Tornado or Barley sugar stick.

And i wonder what happened to all the sawn off shotgun barrels.

I no nerthing about guns, but I'd be surprised to find they have yellow metal barrels.

Anyway brass can do funny things with LPG if it's the wrong grade.

Very confusing.

C.

You overlooked the bit in the BSS where it says that gas installation must also comply with PD 5482-2005 Part III then.

Hope that helps ;)

Mike

I no nerthing about guns, but I'd be surprised to find they have yellow metal barrels.

Anyway brass can do funny things with LPG if it's the wrong grade.

Nor do i,but the story in my post about rifle barrel town gas pipes is true,but coal gas of course.

This suits the bayonet rather than the rifle.Interesting though.

You overlooked the bit in the BSS where it says that gas installation must also comply with PD 5482-2005 Part III then.

Hope that helps ;)

Mike

As a guide to boat owners it's pretty useless then, when to get hold of that PD 54... is over £150.

C.

Damascus twist barrels. Try googling them.

Tim

Interesting,laminating strips of metal around a mandrel,I suppose this was before they could machine bore a barrel accurately.

I remember seeing a canon barrel made like this somewhere.

Interesting,laminating strips of metal around a mandrel,I suppose this was before they could machine bore a barrel accurately.

Mons Meg, in Edinburgh Castle?

MP.

You get a very nicely patterned barrel normaly a rich brown. Old shotguns give a very good example. I think it was also for strength verses weight.

Check out this video on YouTube:

Brian Holt

Edited by ditchcrawler

so do we have an answer to this? seems we have gone off topic in a few areas.

so if we leave "should you" to another post could we finalise what is legal to do?

i am about to install gas piping and was reading this to find out if i should get 8 or 10 mill coils of pipe to supply my oven.

im now very confused with all this imperial talk.

so do we have an answer to this? seems we have gone off topic in a few areas.

so if we leave "should you" to another post could we finalise what is legal to do?

i am about to install gas piping and was reading this to find out if i should get 8 or 10 mill coils of pipe to supply my oven.

im now very confused with all this imperial talk.

Whichever you use make sure its thick wall seamless solid drawn annealed copper tube if using compression fittings because if thin wall is used you will find that the olives will squeeze the tube and you won't get them satisfyingly tight and will probably leak. I think you can get metal inserts to reinforce the tube ends to prevent this happening on thin wall tubing,but it defeats the object by reducing the internal bore size a little.

I hasten to add that i am not a registered gas expert but have done a lot of it.

Howsat.Please don't go off topic anymore. :cheers: