Epping range

MtB

Featured Posts

Reginald is FREEZING under the front tug deck in cold weather so adding a radiator seems a most excellent idea. But what to feed it from? The obvious source would be a back boiler on the Epping stove but mine doesn't have one.

An enquiry in the chandlers here revealed the fact that Eppings are available with or without a back boiler, but adding a back boiler to an existing Epping is apparently not possible. Is this right, or can it actually be done? Has anyone here done it? If so, how did you do it please?

Mike

I dont know if this will help, but i have just bought an aarow stove with a backboiler in place of my boatman stove as i am adding rads and a twin coil calorifier, the stove itself is a standard item with the backboiler as an option.

In my case the backboiler fits inside the stove at the back replacing the two rear firebricks, then the actual pipe fittings pass through two holes on the rear of the fire and are secured with nuts on the pipe threads, which secures the backboiler in place, the backboiler itself resembling a skin tank.... so, with a bit of ingenuity i cannot see why you couldnt do something similar with your epping ...

Rick

Thanks for your reply Dc, the point I didn't spell out fully is that I'm told the Epping back boiler is not available to buy as a separate item or as a spare part.

Is the Arrow back boiler available to buy as a spare part? Where did u get your Arrow?

Mike

Reginald is FREEZING under the front tug deck in cold weather so adding a radiator seems a most excellent idea. But what to feed it from? The obvious source would be a back boiler on the Epping stove but mine doesn't have one.

An enquiry in the chandlers here revealed the fact that Eppings are available with or without a back boiler, but adding a back boiler to an existing Epping is apparently not possible. Is this right, or can it actually be done? Has anyone here done it? If so, how did you do it please?

Mike

Are you sure about this Mike? I haven't got an Epping but it's not terribly different from the Premier that I do have and I've used an Epping on one of Middlewich's trad hireboats a while ago. I wouldn't have thought the fire box was big enough to do much more than heat the back cabin and do a bit of cooking in the oven!

Eppings are made by Brenmarl Engineering and their website here doesn't say anything about back boilers. Perhaps you could give them a ring for the definitive answer?

Richard

Mine came from these people mike, there is a pricelist on the site, my backboiler is a larger version as they even offer alternative size/ output backboilers for each stove, and was around the £200 quid mark, so i guess if you sort out the dimensions you could fit and give them a call they would be happy to help.

http://www.aarrowfires.com/

Rick

I've never heard of a back boiler being available for an Epping, but while at WFBCo we did install at least one with a stainless tank bolted to the outside of the firebox end sideplate (this is a flat -ish- plate so you get good contact) with a tap on the front to produce hot water (provided you remember to top the tank up).

At the time we thought it would be easy enough to put tappings on the back instead, to run a radiator in the bedhole. You could try something along these lines.

David

Mike

The poor little thing is going to struggle a bit, how long is the run?

I think you'd be better advised to put another stove in the living space and run a radiator in the back cabin, saving the Epping for cruising.

having stripped an Epping down for repair, i think with a little fettling it could be done, just replace the back firebrick with a boiler the same size. fabricating a small thing like that should not cost an arm and a leg. ( i'll volunteer ) though whether the heat output would be enough for a radiator who knows.

what the Epping really needs is a secondary air control, but hole sawing through cast iron is not my idea of a fun time.

These people would make you a boiler to your design :cheers: Should be way cheaper to adapt the old range than buying a new stove.

My link

I cut a hole in a cast iron flue collar to fit a damper. I started using a metal drill bit and it took forever. Used a hole saw that was from lidl and my what a difference, went through it like butter :P A lovely neat hole each side to fit the villager flue damper.

James :cheers:

Like Richard Smith, I am highly doubtful that an Epping can produce enough heat to run a back boiler and radiator.

They really do have a very tiny firebox, and I think it would really struggle.

Eppings do not come with back boilers, many years ago they had hot water boxes fixed to the right of the firebox as an optional extra, this was just a tank with a small tap not a boiler. The same was also true for the "Nipper" which the "Premier" was designed from, Peter Dufficy and myself designed and made the first "Premiers" before selling the patterns and rights to Midland Chandlers.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

You need an ecofan...

I've got three ecofans....

Eppings do not come with back boilers, many years ago they had hot water boxes fixed to the right of the firebox as an optional extra, this was just a tank with a small tap not a boiler. The same was also true for the "Nipper" which the "Premier" was designed from, Peter Dufficy and myself designed and made the first "Premiers" before selling the patterns and rights to Midland Chandlers.

Ok thanks Laurence, that certainly seems like a defnitive answer! Time to look at Reflecks stoves again then I think.

Mike

These people would make you a boiler to your design :cheers: Should be way cheaper to adapt the old range than buying a new stove.

My link

Thanks for the link James,

I just spoke to the chap and he is confident he can make me a slab boiler to fit in. As Alan says though, no guarantees about how much heat it will produce! I still think it should drive a 500 watts radiator ok. This will make a huge difference to the space under the tug deck.

Mike

Thanks for the link James,

I just spoke to the chap and he is confident he can make me a slab boiler to fit in. As Alan says though, no guarantees about how much heat it will produce! I still think it should drive a 500 watts radiator ok. This will make a huge difference to the space under the tug deck.

Mike

Hi, There must be a quide surely on water volume per kw output? It would be good. How big could the boiler be on your range? I may be able to compare with mine?

A small rad would help though.

James :cheers:

Eppings are made by Brenmarl Engineering and their website here doesn't say anything about back boilers. Perhaps you could give them a ring for the definitive answer?

Eppings with back boilers DO exist, so please ignore all comments to the contrary.

I have sold Eppings with back boliers - Pete at Brenmarl made one for me when I had a customer who wanted one. It worked fine - so why not do as the above person suggested and contact the maker. If you are willing to strip down your Epping to fit one then I can't see why he won't supply one.