River Wey

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I'm on my first post retirement cruise heading from Brauston to Bristol via Oxford Canal, Thames and K&A. Over the past two weeks I've enjoyed some wonderful countryside and impressive riverside houses (Henley - Chertsey). I decided to take a detour of a few days to explore the Wey navigation and am very pleased I did. This is a lovely little river (canalised in places) which meanders through beautiful countryside. Juat thought I'd mention it.

Hi all,

I'm on my first post retirement cruise heading from Brauston to Bristol via Oxford Canal, Thames and K&A. Over the past two weeks I've enjoyed some wonderful countryside and impressive riverside houses (Henley - Chertsey). I decided to take a detour of a few days to explore the Wey navigation and am very pleased I did. This is a lovely little river (canalised in places) which meanders through beautiful countryside. Juat thought I'd mention it.

Agreed, but you should have turned right when you joined the Thames and had arun up to Lechlade - just as pretty, as in the Nene...Have a good trip.

Leo

I've only been on one day so far with no problems. The people I've met don't appear any better or worse than any other waterway.

Yes, I was curious about Tonka's comment as well, having thoroughly enjoyed my week on the Wey last summer. It's the sort of comment that either should be clarified or not made.

My daughter was on the wide disabled boat last year. They arrived at a lock on the Wey. No boats going the same way as them but a queue going the other way. They were informed that they could not progress until al the boats had come the other way. What arrogant plonka's

My daughter was on the wide disabled boat last year. They arrived at a lock on the Wey. No boats going the same way as them but a queue going the other way. They were informed that they could not progress until al the boats had come the other way. What arrogant plonka's

Informed by the boaters in the queue,or by river wey staff?

have been on the wey many times,have never had any problems with the national trust staff.

by the boaters. Who did not want to let a wide boat through because they would have to re-arrange their boats at the other end to let it pass.

thanks for the explanation,can see why you were unimpressed by the behaviour of the boaters in the queue.

Would have been worth reporting the incident to the keeper at thames lock,or the national trust office.

Do you think that the boaters were a random selection,or a boat club?

A couple of hire craft skippers on a 'team building exercise',told us that the had priority over our boat,as they had to stay together?

I informed them that they would have to wait until we had ascended the lock,they were in some kind of corporate frenzy to reach their destination.

when they caught up with us further down the grand union,i displayed just how slowly i could steer a narrow boat.

had they been more civil,we may have considered allowing them to jump the queue(of one),and watch them tear off into the distance.

Thank you for the explanation. A group of arrogant twits like that could only have been a boat club. They aren't confined to the Wey, I can assure you.

But now I'm showing my prejudices!

Edited to say that although I enjoyed my week on the Wey, one thing I did notice was that hardly anyone on the towpath greeted me - fewer even than in central London. I commented on it here at the time, and concluded it was Snobby Surrey.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

Its normal practice to work turns in this situation, even if some of the waiting boats have to move to let you out of the lock.

Although I do recall an encounter some years ago on the Stourton flight, with a hotel boat pair who turned a lock in our face in order to work the butty through after the motor, insisting it was their right to do so. :angry:

David

Nice to see the Wey come up on here. The reason being I went to University in Guildford in the late 70's and met my wife there. Not been back since the mid 80's and hope, possibly next summer to make to trip there on the boat (because I can).

The only downer is that I understand the the Ram at Godalming has closed, is that true?

Edited to say that although I enjoyed my week on the Wey, one thing I did notice was that hardly anyone on the towpath greeted me - fewer even than in central London. I commented on it here at the time, and concluded it was Snobby Surrey.

thats strange as we find the complete opposite at loxwood where everyone is friendly and it the same when walking the northern section (railway track) up to shalford

Have you had a bad experience on there, or are you referring to Martin?

Excuse me! :lol:

Hi,

Sorry to hear of your daughter's bad experience and hope it has not put her off. As others have said the occasional arrogant sod will turn up any waterway. I spent some time in Guilford today and now on the return journey as I only have a 3 day pass.

I found exactly the same thing apart from one walker telling me I should have closed the gates at the last lock.