Any Members close to Nantwich?

Edwin

Featured Posts

Hey

This may be a bit of a strange Request, I have a great interest in Narrow boats and the Canals, but haven't really been on a boat on them at all. I had the grand idea the other day whilst gardening, to try and find someone close to Nantwich with a boat that may fancy a trade.

I wondered if someone may take me aboard for a day on their boat for a trip out along some nice waterways etc, show me the ins and outs of boating, and all the associated things.

In Return I could take you out for a day on my hobby, which is steam engines, you could come for a trip one day trundling along the lanes on my steam roller, I will show you the ins and outs of engines.

I know I could possibly hire a boat or pay for a trip, but some say I am tight, I just spend most of my money on the Steam engine, and thought it could be fun, possibly a good way to make a new set of friends too.

Anyway hope I don't sound too cheeky, and hope the moderators don't mind me asking this, I hope to take part and learn from this forum from now on too.

Best Regards

Dave

Hey

This may be a bit of a strange Request, I have a great interest in Narrow boats and the Canals, but haven't really been on a boat on them at all. I had the grand idea the other day whilst gardening, to try and find someone close to Nantwich with a boat that may fancy a trade.

I wondered if someone may take me aboard for a day on their boat for a trip out along some nice waterways etc, show me the ins and outs of boating, and all the associated things.

In Return I could take you out for a day on my hobby, which is steam engines, you could come for a trip one day trundling along the lanes on my steam roller, I will show you the ins and outs of engines.

I know I could possibly hire a boat or pay for a trip, but some say I am tight, I just spend most of my money on the Steam engine, and thought it could be fun, possibly a good way to make a new set of friends too.

Anyway hope I don't sound too cheeky, and hope the moderators don't mind me asking this, I hope to take part and learn from this forum from now on too.

Best Regards

Dave

What a brilliant Offer!

I have no doubt you'll attract a bevy of wannabe engine drivers!

I'm on the wrong side of the country unfortunately - - but you'll have a number of volunteers !:cheers:

We'll be around Nantwich tomorrow afternoon, if you want to pop along & have a chat feel free. We operate a working boat selling coal & diesel and are on our way from Ellesmere Port to the River Weaver over the next few days.

If you wish give us a call or text on 07791345004.

Cheers, Brian

WOW!

'm down in the midlands but what an offer!!!...Wish I was closer cos I would bite your hand off!!!

I'm sure you wont be short of offers but if you are I'm sure we could sort something out!!

Now very jealous of those closer to Nantwich!!

Cheers

Gareth

What a cracking idea Dave.

We are currently at Ellesmere on the beautiful, if presently damp, Llangollen canal.

We are heading towards Nantwich this week.

You would be very welcome to spend a day on our 65 foot live-aboard narrow boat.

Regards

Roger & Yvonne Olver

You can email me direct from my profile.

Hey

Good morning,

I moor on the top of the Llangollen and you would be more than welcome to pop up have a look round ask as many questions as you want and I am sure we could take a trip across the big bridge, pm me and we can sort a date and time

Cheers

Best Regards

Dave

Edited by Theo

Hi

Well thanks for all the replies, I expected the moderators to have taken it off as it is a weird request for my first post, which I would have understood etc. I never thought I would have had so many generous people offering. I would love to meet everyone, so many friendly people...

I Just have to decide who to go with. I think the only way I can do it is to wait for a few days, and then put the replies in a hat and pick one out. If I had limitless funds and time, I would take you all up on your offers, but I don't have the time to do this, or the moneyt o burn so much coal... lol

A special message to NB Alton, so sorry I missed you, I have been working on the said steam roller all day. I would love to see your boat at some point and meet you though as you are working on the canals and by the sounds of your blog you have an old boat too. :-) I love old things.. Probably why I like the canals.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Edwin/ Dave,

No problem, we are in Nantwich approx every 6 to 8 weeks, we keep the blog updated with our schedule. We are planning on taking Alton to the North Rode Steam Rally nr Bosley on 9/10th June so might see you there?

Cheers, Brian

Hi

I haven't replied to anyone yet, I have been waiting for a moderator or some such person to answer my query about Private Messages. I have sent a reuest or Question over a week ago and have had no reply yet. Had to email them, as couldn't acces PM's Hence Request... lol

Hopefully when I get a Reply I will be able to contact people.

Cheers

Dave

You need to have 5 posts before you can send or receive personal messages so reply to this post and then find one other thread you can post something on and you are away.

I was tempted to untie the ropes on Carrie~Lou and set off up north to be first in the queue but there are far too many people who could beat us to it.

We hope to be up your way later in the summer so if you want any assistance with the Brasso then give us a shout!

HI Edwin,

If we were closer you could come and see Tawny Owl, and Richard would just love to play on your steamroller, being a bit of a steam nut. However we are in Warwickshire so not very close.

My other comment is that you need 5 posts before you can send a pm, so answer me, and then add one more, to any thread outside the virtual pub and you can send your PM's.

Good luck with the search. Maybe you should ask what type of boat people have so you can pick one near what you think you'd like in a boat.

For instance Tawny is a 70ft cruiser stern ex hire boat, with 2 pumpouts and 10 beds. No stove or anything, but she suits us very well for taking lots of friends out boating.

Sue (logged in as Richard cos I'm to lazy to log out!)

Too slow, Cheshire Rose beat me to it!!

Edited by RLWP

Hi

Thanks for that, I did remember reading I needed so many posts for it to be activated when signing up under the terms and conditions etc,, and that it could be if I was to ask a moderator, so expected a reply, never got one, so no worries now, with it only being 5, thats do able!

Cheers

Dave

Good luck with the search. Maybe you should ask what type of boat people have so you can pick one near what you think you'd like in a boat.

For instance Tawny is a 70ft cruiser stern ex hire boat, with 2 pumpouts and 10 beds. No stove or anything, but she suits us very well for taking lots of friends out boating.

This is an excellent Idea, could I trouble the above boat owners to tell me a bit about their boats? I will do the same about my roller, when you know the make you may not want to play, if you like one make and not another...

She is a Robey of Lincoln, one of very few left, espcially in the UK, think you can count them on one hand, especially the ones that are in steam. She is very slow, about 2mph maybe 3 if the wind is the right way, but she is quite a light old girl only weiging a rated 7 ton. She also has a nice new roof on her which I just put on last weekend, so you will not get cinders in your hair, or get wet should we have a shower...

Cheers

Dave

Hi

Thanks for that, I did remember reading I needed so many posts for it to be activated when signing up under the terms and conditions etc,, and that it could be if I was to ask a moderator, so expected a reply, never got one, so no worries now, with it only being 5, thats do able!

Cheers

Dave

Well - - if you reply to this post - - you'll have 5 :rolleyes:

Hi

Well thanks for all the replies, I expected the moderators to have taken it off as it is a weird request for my first post, which I would have understood etc. I never thought I would have had so many generous people offering. I would love to meet everyone, so many friendly people...

I Just have to decide who to go with. I think the only way I can do it is to wait for a few days, and then put the replies in a hat and pick one out. If I had limitless funds and time, I would take you all up on your offers, but I don't have the time to do this, or the moneyt o burn so much coal... lol

A special message to NB Alton, so sorry I missed you, I have been working on the said steam roller all day. I would love to see your boat at some point and meet you though as you are working on the canals and by the sounds of your blog you have an old boat too. :-) I love old things.. Probably why I like the canals.

Cheers

Dave

This is the sort of thing that CWDF is for! I wouldn't dream of taking the topic off! I wish I lived near Nantwich!

I have replied to a request from G&F on your PM. Let me know via this topic if you didn't get it. The PM system doesn't work initially. You have to have more than 5 posts on topics before it springs into action. It helps to combat PM spam.

Nick

Edited by Theo

Perhaps someone with an historic boat would be more appropriate? as the present selection, with the exception of Alton would be somewhat mundane to someone with such a fine 'beast'. Is there not also some canal festivals etc. that would also welcome such a wonderful 'beast'? We are moored on the Shroppie between Brewood and Wheaton Aston and have Chertsey (the same as Alton) and Bakewell a converted butty. At the boatyard where we moor there are several interesting boats in various states of repair - Hampstead, Siberia, Corolla, Baroness(!), Plover, Enceladus(possible) and Sickle(for a short while) and of course the Great Helmsman to explain every rivet and every day of their history :).

Perhaps someone with an historic boat would be more appropriate? as the present selection, with the exception of Alton would be somewhat mundane to someone with such a fine 'beast'. Is there not also some canal festivals etc. that would also welcome such a wonderful 'beast'? We are moored on the Shroppie between Brewood and Wheaton Aston and have Chertsey (the same as Alton) and Bakewell a converted butty. At the boatyard where we moor there are several interesting boats in various states of repair - Hampstead, Siberia, Corolla, Baroness(!), Plover, Enceladus(possible) and Sickle(for a short while) and of course the Great Helmsman to explain every rivet and every day of their history :).

There were a few steam engines at the Stourbridge Arm festival last October

This sounds like a great idea.

I was wondering what the point of a "light" road roller was but then I remembered all those canal bridges with axle weight restrictions on them. I suppose getting a road roller up the incline to a canal bridge would be challenging in many cases anyway.