12 volt 78 LED 4 watts = 60 watts

Ex- Member

Featured Posts

Bought these from e-bay and fitted them this evening.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170800439686?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_1484wt_1154

Reason I'm posting is because these are tricky to fit into standard MR16 ceiling down lighters. With 78 x 5mm led's these are really bright, the brightest I've come across and they're really well put together. The spring clip though in the ceiling fitment won't lock into place to secure the bulb as the wee LED's are very close to the outer edge of the bulb. Damn I thought lovely bright light and doesn't fit.

A bit of tinkering though and they're in. The 2 tag ends and the little inverted V shape opposite need to be bent outwards a bit more than they already are, a good pair of pliars does the job and they're all safely in.

So impressed I've ordered some more but only 60 x 5mm Led = 50 watts and chose the warm white option this time around rather than the White. The White are great though in the Galley, nice and bright for preparing and cooking food.

Just over 3 quid each, very impressed.

From the sales page:

PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL MR16 BULBS REQUIRE A DRIVER/TRANSFORMER CAPABLE OF DELIVERING A CONSTANT 12 VOLT SUPPLY. (ps. not shouting just copy and paste)

Julynian

Just a note of caution, a boat does not have a 'constant 12 volt supply' the voltage can vary anywhere between 12.2v (flat batteries) and 14.6v (batteries on charge)

You may want to look into fitting a 'constant voltage regulator'.

I believe these LEDs are for domestic (house) use.

From the sales page:

PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL MR16 BULBS REQUIRE A DRIVER/TRANSFORMER CAPABLE OF DELIVERING A CONSTANT 12 VOLT SUPPLY. (ps. not shouting just copy and paste)

Julynian

Just a note of caution, a boat does not have a 'constant 12 volt supply' the voltage can vary anywhere between 12.2v (flat batteries) and 14.6v (batteries on charge)

Hi bottle all our LED's lights are 12 volt regulated, nearly all LED;s are designed for domestic use but through a transformer as were Halogens. The Regulator we use is one of these.

http://www.reuk.co.uk/buy-12-VOLT-REGULATOR.htm

Since fitting over 2 years ago we haven't had a single LED bulb failure anywhere on the boat.

From the sales page:

Julynian

Hi

Yes thats quite right. I have some of these and some others that are very bright and cost 1.89 pence each. They last about six months before dying but the 1.89 ones have not been changed yet and are good as new after 8 months. I could pay 7 or 8 quid a piece from other well known websites but at 1.89 there the ones I am sticking with. :cheers:

I just looked and it said £14.99?

That's £14.99 for 4 bulbs including postage. So £3.75 each including postage. You can get them cheaper but usually they have 3mm LED's rather than 5mm and not always ROHS approved.

The more you buy the cheaper they get, I only bought 4 to see what they were like, Great for galley but a bit too bright for other areas so I ordered some of the 60 LED Warm White @ 4 watt = 50 watt so should be dimmer.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-X-MR16-78-Leds-60Watt-WHITE-1-Year-Guarantee-/190651113026?pt=UK_Light_Bulbs&hash=item2c63b11e42#ht_1484wt_1154

Bit cheaper for 8 bulbs £3.62 each delivered.

Bought these from e-bay and fitted them this evening.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170800439686?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_1484wt_1154

Reason I'm posting is because these are tricky to fit into standard MR16 ceiling down lighters. With 78 x 5mm led's these are really bright, the brightest I've come across and they're really well put together. The spring clip though in the ceiling fitment won't lock into place to secure the bulb as the wee LED's are very close to the outer edge of the bulb. Damn I thought lovely bright light and doesn't fit.

A bit of tinkering though and they're in. The 2 tag ends and the little inverted V shape opposite need to be bent outwards a bit more than they already are, a good pair of pliars does the job and they're all safely in.

So impressed I've ordered some more but only 60 x 5mm Led = 50 watts and chose the warm white option this time around rather than the White. The White are great though in the Galley, nice and bright for preparing and cooking food.

Just over 3 quid each, very impressed.

IMHO you would be better off with

These

for use on a narrowboat.

ROHS and CE, input voltage 10-30V DC, 10-18V AC

I use their MR11's which work well, so I've no reason to think that their MR16's would not be as good.

Hi

Yes thats quite right. I have some of these and some others that are very bright and cost 1.89 pence each. They last about six months before dying but the 1.89 ones have not been changed yet and are good as new after 8 months. I could pay 7 or 8 quid a piece from other well known websites but at 1.89 there the ones I am sticking with. :cheers:

We bought a full set of LED G4 bulbs for NC at the start of last year direct from Hong Kong (£1.90 each). At the time we were told they wouldnt last and would blow up instantly causing a fire hazard.

Over 12 months later they are still working, have not caught fire and have saved us a small fortune over buying them from the UK :cheers:

We bought a full set of LED G4 bulbs for NC at the start of last year direct from Hong Kong (£1.90 each). At the time we were told they wouldnt last and would blow up instantly causing a fire hazard.

Over 12 months later they are still working, have not caught fire and have saved us a small fortune over buying them from the UK :cheers:

Hi Phylis

I might give some SMD's a go in the future, if fact I nearly did the other week, and if I had noticed the voltage they accept would havewink.gif Silly me ohmy.gif

I now have quite a lot surplus/spare bulbs though as like you I bought a load from China over 2 years ago, 30 in fact all still working and no fires laugh.gif I was just looking for something brighter for use in the galley as I like to see what I'm doing with my chefs knives laugh.gifAlso for the bathroom for shaving and for the work room.

After having a good sort out on the boat last week I realised I had forgotten I already had over a dozen spare LED's and now just purchased another dozen, so now have enough LED's to last a millennium laugh.gif

Thanks for the tip thoughcheers.gifThe Chinese ones might blow up yetwink.gif

Hi bottle all our LED's lights are 12 volt regulated, nearly all LED;s are designed for domestic use but through a transformer as were Halogens. The Regulator we use is one of these.

Since fitting over 2 years ago we haven't had a single LED bulb failure anywhere on the boat.

I have just bought 2 of these but im not having any joy getting my light to work with them. Do I need fully charged batterys for them to work?

I have just bought 2 of these but im not having any joy getting my light to work with them. Do I need fully charged batterys for them to work?

Should work, have you any 12 regulators on your lighting system as I've shown? if so they have a max of 10 watts I think these bulbs are 3 or 4 watts so 4 bulbs on one reg might be too much, they either won't work or work initially and go out. If you don't have a 12 volt regulated system you may have blown them, they are strictly 12 volts, or your batteries are low and you're suffering a voltage drop if the lights are a long way from the batteries.

Should work, have you any 12 regulators on your lighting system as I've shown? if so they have a max of 10 watts I think these bulbs are 3 or 4 watts so 4 bulbs on one reg might be too much, they either won't work or work initially and go out. If you don't have a 12 volt regulated system you may have blown them, they are strictly 12 volts, or your batteries are low and you're suffering a voltage drop if the lights are a long way from the batteries.

Yes the same ones. My bateries are all dead so like you said the low voltage wont work the lights. I will try again when I sort out my battery problems. :cheers:

Yes the same ones. My bateries are all dead so like you said the low voltage wont work the lights. I will try again when I sort out my battery problems. :cheers:

Hi Lee

If your lights aren't 12 volt regulated, when your batteries are charged they will probably exceed 12 volts, if you use these bulbs they might blow or dramatically reduce their life span. I would check the output voltage at the light socket before plugging them in. You really do need to have a 12 volt regulated supply to use these bulbs, that goes for most 12 volt LED bulbs as well.

• 3 weeks later...

IMHO you would be better off with

These

for use on a narrowboat.

ROHS and CE, input voltage 10-30V DC, 10-18V AC

I use their MR11's which work well, so I've no reason to think that their MR16's would not be as good.

:cheers: I just got these today and they are very bright and work great. Thanks

• 3 months later...

A lot of LEDs are designed for domestic use but I wouldn't say "nearly all". many are designed for a more robust automotive market (better for a boat environment too) and often will work in a 10v to 30v voltage window. These will also work of course in 24v systems as well as 12v. Many of these are also properly radio interference protected so you won't find the radio DAB or otherwise blotted out when you turn the light on as it can be with some of the cheaper imports.

More expesive than cheaper chinese imports but do not require any regulation add-ons.