Shower cubicles

rubblequeen

Featured Posts

Hi needing to replace shower tray etc and want to know if there are any that come complete with walls and doors so as not to have any joints and worry about the cubicle being water tight. Any ideas and/or pictures much appreciated.

Thanks

Tony

Hi needing to replace shower tray etc and want to know if there are any that come complete with walls and doors so as not to have any joints and worry about the cubicle being water tight. Any ideas and/or pictures much appreciated.

Thanks

Tony

I wish.

• Greenie 1

Thanks

Tony

There's loads of them on the market, I've even seen them in B&Q called all-in-one cubicles althouhg it was a while ago, some ideas here http://www.taplanes.co.uk/showercubicles/alpha.php

Thanks

Tony

The issue with a complete and one piece unit is how will you get it in place without demolition of existing partition walls?

The one I saw was for a boat, so more...erm....compact! But yes, in an existing bathroom.....worth a look I guess though.

How about shower walling instead?

I know those ones were too big, just illustrating that they do exist. The caravan ones are much smaller. We have shower walling at home, it's very good.

I know those ones were too big, just illustrating that they do exist. The caravan ones are much smaller. We have shower walling at home, it's very good.

We bought a used 10yo static caravan some years ago whilst doing a build project. The shower was basically a cubicle pod formed from plastic and completely sealed, it even had a seat as part of the forming so you could stand or sit to shower. So contacting static caravan makers might get a result.

We bought a used 10yo static caravan some years ago whilst doing a build project. The shower was basically a cubicle pod formed from plastic and completely sealed, it even had a seat as part of the forming so you could stand or sit to shower. So contacting static caravan makers might get a result.

That raises a very good point, made by a friend who is a caravanner. He says that a lot of NB design has not learned from caravan design.

He was grumbling about assembling a bed from our l-shaped dinette, which I have admit is ridiculous!

We're replacing that with a sofa bed from Elite soon.

Back on topic, boat showers are often rather crude. We hired a boat once from Oxford NB and it had the shower pods, complete with automatic pump. Pretty good.

• 3 weeks later...

Shower cubicles for caravans are made by Thompson Plastics, Big Bear Plastics, 4Tech, Linecross, all of whom you should find on tinternet somewhere.

Wet walling is available from Frontline Bathrooms in West Yorkshire.

Thompson Plastics - gone into administration according to a caravan forum

Big Bear Plastics - A hard to find on the internet type name

4Tech - Manufacturer not retailer

Linecross - Manufacturer not retailer

A list of manufacturers like this is sadly no help to me. I think you could spend a lifetime trawling through all of these tenuous leads. If somebody can point me at a retailer anywhere in the country who can show me a NB size shower cubicle that I can get through the door I would be delighted and would stop work on building my own contraption.

The verdict on a caravan forum was that many plastic shower cubicles were understrength spec'ed, required very precise installation and kind usage, and had very high failure rates.

If anybody produced a good one it would instantly become the Squirrel of showers.

But I am no expert.

Thompson Plastics - gone into administration according to a caravan forum

Big Bear Plastics - A hard to find on the internet type name

4Tech - Manufacturer not retailer

Linecross - Manufacturer not retailer

A list of manufacturers like this is sadly no help to me. I think you could spend a lifetime trawling through all of these tenuous leads. If somebody can point me at a retailer anywhere in the country who can show me a NB size shower cubicle that I can get through the door I would be delighted and would stop work on building my own contraption.

The verdict on a caravan forum was that many plastic shower cubicles were understrength spec'ed, required very precise installation and kind usage, and had very high failure rates.

If anybody produced a good one it would instantly become the Squirrel of showers.

But I am no expert.

Manufacturers know who they sell to, ask them for a retailers list, though I'm cheeky enought to try and buy direct from the maker !

But I am no expert.

That to me sounds illogical:

If plastic shower cubicles as fitted to caravans were cr@p then there would be a thriving secondary market in replacing them- possibly even with less cr@p items. The caravan spares stores would then supply them as the repairers would buy them.

However, caravan shower cubicles seem to be hard to get hold of, unless you are a caravan maker. Ergo they must work and last well enough.

However, I also know that many (most?) caravan sites offer shower blocks and other facilities so maybe the usage of caravan shower cubicles is naturally low (unlike on boats where there are few alternatives) so a cr@p shower cubicle works and lasts well enough for most caravanners.

Bespoke glass and aluminium shower cubicles can be had for a (serious) price, or you can alter a standard one bought in the DIY sheds. If you alter one any good glazier will get you replacement toughened glass quite easily. Many can now toughen glass on the premises because all window glass below 800mm amd door glass below 1500mm from the floor is supposed to be toughened. Glass tends not to be cheap either though.

N

If somebody can point me at a retailer anywhere in the country who can show me a NB size shower cubicle that I can get through the door I would be delighted and would stop work on building my own contraption.

Did you try Wesley Windows as mentioned in post #8 above?

They seem to be making shower cubicles especially for narrowboats.