Otter or Mink

TimD

Featured Posts

Hi,

I saw this critter on the Staffie just north of Wolverhamton. I initially thought it was an otter, but then when looking into it further I realise that mink are very similar. Can anyone enlighten me? It was nervous having the boat pass it and tried several times to jump onto the bank but unsuccessfully due to the Arnco piling. Apologies for the poor photo quality but I was driving past and had to put it on full digital zoom.

IMG_3573.jpg

IMG_3574.jpg

I heard a noise outside our boat in the centre of Manchester...at about 2am...popped my head outside, and one which looked quite similar to your pic, was walking along the pontoon...when I got out the boat to look at it a bit closer, it didnt seem frightened at all....finished it's investigating...looked at me..and then jumped into the water and we havent seen it since. The one you saw looks a little bigger, but someone told me minks are common along the canals. Your boat engine would have caused it some trepidation I imagine.

Mink. Judging the size is difficult, but from the scale of the Armco it would appear to be more mink-sized. Otters would be more cautious, and would have disappeared before you saw them.

Mink are unfortunately common on many canals, however I've seen otter spraint on the Llangollen in the Whitchurch area which is encouraging.

Mink are the main reason for the disappearance of water voles.

I heard a noise outside our boat in the centre of Manchester...at about 2am...popped my head outside, and one which looked quite similar to your pic, was walking along the pontoon...when I got out the boat to look at it a bit closer, it didnt seem frightened at all....finished it's investigating...looked at me..and then jumped into the water and we havent seen it since. The one you saw looks a little bigger, but someone told me minks are common along the canals. Your boat engine would have caused it some trepidation I imagine.

Given the location I think you saw a rat :unsure: . I was sitting in my car one evening down near the Irwell by the cathedral, waiting to meet my wife from work and I couldn't believe the size of the rats I saw emerging as dusk fell.

I reckon It could have been a mink or a polecat.

Mink have really evil eyes and are very bold. Polecats are of a similar size but with more docile eyes ...... well, that is my unscientific experience and I could be completely wrong.

I haven't seen any mink for 2 years, but have seen a couple of polecats in our garden and canalside within the last 2 months.

Many a year ago, whilst moored for the night on The Welford Arm a scampering sound was heard on the tug deck.

Both German Shepherds went into scream shout ruffy toughy mode.

I opened the door and loosed them out to deal with the interlopers and swear they must have done a U turn in mid air as they were immediately both back in the cabin whistling nonchalantly.

Curious thought I.

Next morning I was carrying a bag of coal to replenish the scuttle in the back cabin when I spotted a furry critter walking along the tow path towards me. OOH I thought perhaps it hasn't seen me. Wrong! it had seen me ok it just didn't give a tuppeny hoot as I discovered when it tried to elbow me in the cut.

Up until then the only thing I'd known about mink was that back in the 50's it was accepted that a girl got a mink the same way a mink got a mink!