Good places to eat

jelunga

Featured Posts

We have had a great meal at an Indian restaurant in Polesworth on the Coventry canal. It is called the Indigo Lounge at Fosters Yard Hotel. Great food for a reasonable price. It is not often I can eat at a restaurant and not have anything to moan about. This was one of those times -no complaints.

So if you like a good curry and are passing on the Coventry give it a try.

Edited by jelunga

There is also a great Indian restaurant in Atherstone - The Raj Mahal on Long Street. Also the one in Birmingham above the canal on Broad Street - it is called The Onion Barajee

Super. We are heading that way tomorrow. Curry two night on the trotts!

We had an exceptionally good curry at the Brinjol in Weedon last year.

(the lamb phal was a blast!) :blush:

Thanks David. That is our destination. Maybe curry on the trotts for several nights then

Super. We are heading that way tomorrow. Curry two night on the trotts!

Thanks David. That is our destination. Maybe curry on the trotts for several nights then

I know not of your preferred beer/drink with a curry . . . .

But should you embrace a Phal - - avoid any Guinness / strong stout / Barley wine . . . One needs retain some level of self-control at all times - - no matter how much concentration is required

We had an exceptionally good curry at the Brinjol in Weedon last year.

(the lamb phal was a blast!) :blush:

I will second that though I had mine a take away.

Had a great curry last night at The Elephant at Scarisbrick.

Can also recommend the following can only give the place name as I can not remember the names of each restaurant

The Blue Elephant Gathurst (L&L)

The Pub at the top of Johnston Hill Locks

Tarleton Tandoori, Tarleton (fantastic!! take away only)

Middlewich next to Tesco

Lyme (take away)

There is also a great Indian restaurant in Atherstone - The Raj Mahal on Long Street. Also the one in Birmingham above the canal on Broad Street - it is called The Onion Barajee

We found that the "Onion Barajee" over priced and very bad service. The Celebrity Indian near by is even worse.

:(

Serious question from a curry lover/ hope to be liveaboard. Do the two mix?????

And is it possible to fit an 18" extractor fan to the bathroom of a NB?

You will find that it's a good social boat-habit for those crew adversely affected by curries to sleep under the cratch - or on the back deck - where they may not offend those of a more delicate constitution

We found the "Spice of Bruerne", (unsurprisinly at Stoke Bruerne!), very good.

That said Stoke Bruerne seems such an odd place to be stopping for a lock-side curry - somehow something at "The Boat" seems more appropriate!

Besides all the good ones in the "Golden Mile" of Leicester, there is also a fantastic one "Aroma Spice" just up from the moorings at Birstall, North Leicester. Service is superb, and the take-away food is of the same standard..........(and they delivered to the boat!!!!)

That said Stoke Bruerne seems such an odd place to be stopping for a lock-side curry - somehow something at "The Boat" seems more appropriate!

We tried there as well Alan. Whilst the food was good we found the prices high. The extra they charged for the king peawn version was not justified for the meagre number of shrimp you received. It is now on our banned list. The pub opposite much better value for money

Yes very good,

Has anyone tried the Indian take-away near the level-crossing at Parbold? They do the finest Chicken Shashlik I, or my wife, have ever tasted, anywhere in the world!

Yes forgot that one. Very good as you can order your curry walk over to the railway Pub and have a pint then go back and pick up your curry.

We live in Aberdeen and have our boat near the alleged curry capital of the world aka Birmingham. We have visited numerous curry houses, the ones on Broad Street mentioned - overpriced crap - and several in the "balti triangle" plus the ones local to our Marina at Fazeley. None of them are a patch on our local favourite in Aberdeen, the Jewel in the Crown. It is fantastic and well worth the 400 mile (each way) detour! Be jealous!

I agree w Cheshire Rose that the Barajee over the canal at Broad St is good in Bham. If you want a good buffet there, just off Gas St Basin is Jimmy Spice - go through the gap by Blue Mango restaurant just next to the tunnel and it's upstairs there - really good range of assorted Asian dishes - and fabulous masala dosas! Keep eating till you pop.

BUt if you fancy trying Thai instead, Kinnaree on the corner by the Mailbox is my favourite - looks facny but has very reasobale prices, great food and service. AND they do a £5 lunch special (may have gone up a bit since I worked round there and did lunches a lot)

BUt if you fancy trying Thai instead, Kinnaree on the corner by the Mailbox is my favourite - looks facny but has very reasobale prices, great food and service. AND they do a £5 lunch special (may have gone up a bit since I worked round there and did lunches a lot)

Yes Kinnaree is really nice and you can usually moor about 10 feet from the windows. But beware the clanky footbridge if you are not up to moving the boat after too much Singha and decide to stay overnight!