canal etiquette

pomkitanner

Featured Posts

Guest wanted

Yes and a more condescending pile of rubbish would be hard to find anywhere on the net.

All that's needed is a smile and a cheery wave.... ;)

it just occurred to me with all the replies - whether everyone has wifi access ?? or are you all now moored up for the evening and sitting in the pub ? If so, and i bring my Travel PC , how often will i get an internet connection?

Derek.

I think you may be making a bit of an assumption here. Not all participants in this forum live on boats or even own boats. Some of us aren't even water pikeys! :)

It may appear condescending to you but you are an experienced boater. Why not give him the opportunity to make up his own mind.

I'm not the one stopping anyone making up their own mind...Somebody who sets up a website telling everybody how to behave is.

As a hirer here is my experience.

Think it all down to how you look to people, I used to get a lot of those sideways glances but as I have hired more and got ha little bit more experienced the sideways glances have been fewer.

I put it down to looking like I know what I am doing.

One thing with me is I always try to be friendly and polite to everyone so will usually be the first to say hello or wave.

Had the pleasure on the first day of our holiday last year of having to wait to use a lock and got talking to a woman off another boat coming the other way bearing in mind this woan was from a privately owned boat.

Anyway during the conversation she asked how long we had been hiring and when I old her she replied then you are ore experienced than us.

One thing we have always found is the number of boaters willing to give help and advice, and have learnt a lot from these boaters

May i ask some of you 'old hands'for a few pointers on the above? On my first and only canal holiday, even though i had read the boaters handbook, there were a couple of instances where i felt i was being given the sideways look, presumeably for having transgressed ! Although i am at a loss as to what. I was told at one stage that hirers were not accepted into the canal cameraderie by owners, but i cannot say i experienced anything like.Although were that the case i would have no trouble accepting that. Are there any unspoken norms by which everyone is expected to abide ? basic rules i understand, slowing when passing - allowing those in favour at a lock to go first etc. Appreciate any pointers so as i am better prepared next time . Many thanks .

I always have and will continue to offer advice to hirers. I enjoy helping them.

I'll always cut hirers more slack than shiny boaters - unless they are the ones who say 'I may be a hirer but I've been boating longer than you...' Or unless they are utterly obnoxious like the party of pissed pirate wannabes who drove us onto the mud and then had the nerve to take the piss out of MY hat (and you should have seen theirs). My, how I pointed and laughed when they got well and truly stuck. That however is the exception.

On other occasions we have been pulled off the mud by some very game hirers with a marvellous disregard for their Canaltime engine.

I'd always sooner help a hirer who's out for a good time than someone who already thinks they know it all.

• Greenie 1

I really enjoy helping out hirers. I've several times helped people through their first ever lock.

Once, at Hillmorton, I was asked if I was the lock keeper, because we were 7th in a queue waiting for the lock and so I helped all six ahead through while most people sat on their boats and waited. At first I thought they were all being lazy but as they came through I realised it was hireboat changeover day at the marina round the corner (forget the name) and they were all novices who were going through their first locks and were afraid to come out and help because they weren't confident enough. By the time it was our turn there was no-one left to help us! but we have a very efficient narrow lock system so we didn't mind.

I never assume that I know more than them either - I've still got a lot to learn myself and some hirers have been doing it since before I was born!

Most of us started out by hiring, some lucky enough then to get a boat of our own. And use it. Courtesy and consideration make for a better experience all round and if I meet people who appear not to have a similar philosophy, I am pleased to keep as much distance as possible. Without being rude. Unless their behaviour is endangering us, others or themselves. Hmm, feel a list of caveats coming on.

Time for my Horlicks.......

I am a hirer, and apart from one instance on the Llangollen, have had nothing but very helpful and friendly advice. Lots of cheery waves, questions about how I am enjoying things, and generally a very good experience all round.

Last year when we came over, it was just after the earthquakes in Christchurch, and, as I fly a Kiwi flag (well an All Black Flag actually, but very recognisable), tons of concern about the impact of the earthquakes on us. Also, when a big aftershock hit whilst we were cruising, offers of help from three boaters when they discovered my daughters house had sustained damage, and assistance in contacting her when our internet cr*pped out and we were unable to.

I am a hirer, and apart from one instance on the Llangollen, have had nothing but very helpful and friendly advice. Lots of cheery waves, questions about how I am enjoying things, and generally a very good experience all round.

Last year when we came over, it was just after the earthquakes in Christchurch, and, as I fly a Kiwi flag (well an All Black Flag actually, but very recognisable), tons of concern about the impact of the earthquakes on us. Also, when a big aftershock hit whilst we were cruising, offers of help from three boaters when they discovered my daughters house had sustained damage, and assistance in contacting her when our internet cr*pped out and we were unable to.

Ha , i have done something similar- wore my All Black rugby shirt in a Welsh bar, worked wonders,The Welsh are very generous ( didn't have the heart to remind them they have never beaten us .)

Ha , i have done something similar- wore my All Black rugby shirt in a Welsh bar, worked wonders,The Welsh are very generous ( didn't have the heart to remind them they have never beaten us .)

And never will B)

I was going to use the phrase "water pikeys" but refrained from it for fear of insulting anyone, but these boats you see tethered to the banks, covered in slime and tat and clearly occupied by people not really taking part in society, well... See how I look down my nose?!?!?!?!? :rolleyes:

D

That will be me then! :cheers::P:wub:

• Greenie 1

A warning to those experienced boaters who might be tempted to be just a bit superior. You can never tell who the hirer is. I've met several members of boating families, who'll have forgotten more than I'll ever know about boating,enjoying a hire boat holiday.

A greenie for that man... :cheers:

Not just other boaters who make assumptions about hirers.

Coming back down the Rochdale at the deep lock at Sowerby bridge.

The lock keeper was very patronizing.

When I told him we had been through that lock before he said, I assumed you where a novice being on a hire boat

So having an opinion makes me a dickhead? Charming!

I guess that makes you "one of the nicest" then. :rolleyes:

Now steady on. I never called you a dickhead.

I was actually referring to the people on the waterways who had been less than welcoming to the OP.

Now steady on. I never called you a dickhead.

I was actually referring to the people on the waterways who had been less than welcoming to the OP.

Perhaps you should be more careful about how and who you quote then.

Calling people you've never met "Dickheads" when you've only heard one side of a story is hardly "considerate" is it?

Edited by carlt

Perhaps you should be more careful about how and who you quote then.

Calling people you've never met "Dickheads" when you've only heard one side of a story is hardly "considerate" is it?

Fine. I'll do that as long as you reduce your paranoia level.

• Greenie 1

Fine. I'll do that as long as you reduce your paranoia level.

Not paranoia.

Based on your quoting my post and then the content of the OP's post that you quoted, it was reasonable to assume that the "Dickheads" you were referring to were those who dislike the "considerate boater" website.

As to "paranoia" I don't feel threatened or fearful of your comments. I merely pointed out the inconsiderate nature of someone who is happy to call strangers "Dickheads".

Carry on.

He said earlier he wasn't talking to you why the need to keep posting ? and keep on and on....

Im only a noob here but on a lot of threads I have read, its you arguing the toss with people almost to the point where i think you enjoy causing bother so the thread goes off topic.

I like the saying if you have nothing good to say then dont say anything. (something like that anyway) ! :help:

Not paranoia.

Based on your quoting my post and then the content of the OP's post that you quoted, it was reasonable to assume that the "Dickheads" you were referring to were those who dislike the "considerate boater" website.

As to "paranoia" I don't feel threatened or fearful of your comments. I merely pointed out the inconsiderate nature of someone who is happy to call strangers "Dickheads".

Carry on.

• Greenie 1

He said earlier he wasn't talking to you why the need to keep posting ? and keep on and on....

I was responding to his post.

He had the option of not responding to mine but chose to "keep on and on" you also had the option of not joining in.

Now I'm responding to your post, as you chose to perpetuate this line of discussion.

I like the saying if you have nothing good to say then dont say anything.

Nothing in your post was "good" so why did you bother? :banghead:

Edited by carlt

A warning to those experienced boaters who might be tempted to be just a bit superior. You can never tell who the hirer is. I've met several members of boating families, who'll have forgotten more than I'll ever know about boating,enjoying a hire boat holiday.

I don't understand why that should be a worry Jim ?

Obviously if they are from genuine boating families the men will be in corduroy breeches, with a waistcoat and neckerchief, (and hopefully a bowler), and the women sporting at least their bonnet.

Should be fairly easy to identify them ? No ?

May i ask some of you 'old hands'for a few pointers on the above? On my first and only canal holiday, even though i had read the boaters handbook, there were a couple of instances where i felt i was being given the sideways look, presumeably for having transgressed ! Although i am at a loss as to what. I was told at one stage that hirers were not accepted into the canal cameraderie by owners, but i cannot say i experienced anything like.Although were that the case i would have no trouble accepting that. Are there any unspoken norms by which everyone is expected to abide ? basic rules i understand, slowing when passing - allowing those in favour at a lock to go first etc. Appreciate any pointers so as i am better prepared next time . Many thanks .

Most stuff is common sense and courtesy, which quite a few boat owners themselves don't use!

The only thing that I'd offer, advice wise, is don't peer into the backcabin of an old boat if you see one. A backcabin is the complete home, so anyone peering in is staring right into the bedroom/bathroom/kitchen etc.

Especially don't step onto the boat and stick your head in to have a look :rolleyes: The amount of times people have done that when I've been getting changed...

Not that I'm saying a hire boater is more likely to do that, ordinary boat owners should take note of this rule. In fact, boat owners especially should take note of this rule! :P