canal etiquette

pomkitanner

Featured Posts

You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment. :P

So you are not considerate enough to acknowledge that your "Dickhead" comment could have been interpreted as being aimed at me?

:rolleyes:

Little tittering asides about someone are somewhat cliquey and childish don't you think, and definitely serve to perpetuate an argument, yet you will now accuse me of carrying it on.

Edited by carlt

So you are not considerate enough to acknowledge that your "Dickhead" comment could have been interpreted as being aimed at me?

:rolleyes:

Little tittering asides about someone are somewhat cliquey and childish don't you think, and definitely serve to perpetuate an argument, yet you will now accuse me of carrying it on.

Good God Carl, just listen to yourself. I certainly didn't think any insults were aimed at you. But other comments about going on and on, and paranoia, should give you pause for thought. And don't accuse me of going on, because this is my first and only contribution to this thread.

Good God Carl, just listen to yourself. I certainly didn't think any insults were aimed at you. But other comments about going on and on, and paranoia, should give you pause for thought. And don't accuse me of going on, because this is my first and only contribution to this thread.

I am continuing a discussion in a perfectly reasonable and courteous manner.

Your opinion as to whether any insults were directed at me is irrelevant.

I felt that the combination of quotes and comments suggested that those who criticise the "considerate boater" websites were "Dickheads" and exercised my right to say so, in a manner that provided a perfect opportunity for Paulg to withdraw, apologising if his comments had led to this misinterpretation.

I am not "going on and on". I am responding to comments in a discussion.

This combination of quotes and comments could quite easily be interpreted in the way I did.

Yes and a more condescending pile of rubbish would be hard to find anywhere on the net.

Bit harsh.

If you know all that stuff already it could be seen as condescending.

But it's aimed at newbies.

...I did find the considerate boater info helpful...

Good stuff. Don't be put off by a few dickheads....

Edited by carlt

I have addressed you directly, courteously and not made any pathetic asides to my mates.

Which bit is childish?

Dear Carl. I am sorry for teasing you. Very naughty of me and I apologise unreservedly.

It may have been possible to interpret one of my earlier posts in such a way as to give the mistaken impression that I thought that you are a dickhead.

To clarify my comments, when I wrote that post, I did not think that you were a dickhead.

Dear Carl. I am sorry for teasing you. Very naughty of me and I apologise unreservedly.

It may have been possible to interpret one of my earlier posts in such a way as to give the mistaken impression that I thought that you are a dickhead.

To clarify my comments, when I wrote that post, I did not think that you were a dickhead.

Ha ha! Your pathetic attempts to bait me into an argument have been successful.

You now qualify for a "I've been bullied by Carlt" badge.

My opinion about you has also changed significantly though I'm sure my thoughts about you are as worthless, to you, as your opinions are, to me.

Edited by carlt

Excellent.

Reinforcing my opinion that I have addressed you courteously throughout and not reduced myself to your level of argument.

Anyone who feels the need to brag about bullying other members of a forum deserves no courtesy.

Anyone who feels the need to brag about bullying other members of a forum deserves no courtesy.

It isn't bragging it is actually exasperation when being addressed by people like you turns into me being accused of bullying.

I was being ironic but not for your benefit.

Perhaps you should read the "CART ELECTION RESULTS" thread to see how a potential argument can be nipped in the bud when two grown-ups are involved, rather than one grown-up and PaulG.

Edited by carlt

It isn't bragging it is actually exasperation when being addressed by people like you turns into me being accused of bullying.

I was being ironic but not for your benefit.

Perhaps you should read the "CART ELECTION RESULTS" thread to see how a potential argument can be nipped in the bud when two grown-ups are involved, rather than one grown-up and PaulG.

Do you find that people disagree with you quite often, Carl?

I can understand that it might become a bit exasperating.

Do you find that people disagree with you quite often, Carl?

I can understand that it might become a bit exasperating.

No I find that often people, like you, can't have a reasonable discussion without turning it into an argument.

I interpreted your remarks as calling those who think the "considerate boaters" website rubbish, including me, a Dickhead, and courteously commented on it.

You failed to address my remark courteously and, indeed, added to the insult by accusing me of paranoia.

Red rag to a bull, I'll admit, but you chose to wave the rag.

I continued to discuss the matter, courteously, and you proceeded to continue with the insults and petty asides.

This is continuing with you making more insults and sarcastic quips and me maintaining my composure.

Do carry on.

I interpreted your remarks as calling those who think the "considerate boaters" website rubbish, including me, a Dickhead, and courteously commented on it.

And when I "courteously" informed you (post #43) that you had misinterpreted my remarks, you couldn't accept that gracefully, could you, Carl?

You had to respond by having a pop at me.

One could be forgiven for thinking that you are just trying to create controversy where none exists.

And when I "courteously" informed you (post #43) that you had misinterpreted my remarks, you couldn't accept that gracefully, could you, Carl?

I didn't "have a pop" at you. I made a suggestion with no malicious intent.

Obviously I should have taken into account that someone happy to call complete strangers "Dickheads" (whether that stranger is me or someone else) is likely to respond with another insult.

I didn't "have a pop" at you. I made a suggestion with no malicious intent.

Obviously I should have taken into account that someone happy to call complete strangers "Dickheads" (whether that stranger is me or someone else) is likely to respond with another insult.

I think I've said everything that I want to say to you, Carl, so I think I'll let you have the last word on the subject.

Have a nice day.

I think I've said everything that I want to say to you, Carl, so I think I'll let you have the last word on the subject.

Have a nice day.

No, I'll let you have the last word...

...On my first and only canal holiday, even though i had read the boaters handbook, there were a couple of instances where i felt i was being given the sideways look...

They gave you a sideways look??? :o

dickheads

Edited by carlt

I can't work out if this:

I was going to use the phrase "water pikeys" but refrained from it for fear of insulting anyone, but these boats you see tethered to the banks, covered in slime and tat and clearly occupied by people not really taking part in society, well... See how I look down my nose?!?!?!?!? :rolleyes:

Followed by this

There'll always be people who sneer at other people for some reason, any reason really. Thats people I guess, which is why I rather prefer the quiet side of things! Just I and I's dog, as it were!

D

Is some sort of post modern art piece or not.

I was going to use the phrase "water pikeys" but refrained from it for fear of insulting anyone, but these boats you see tethered to the banks, covered in slime and tat and clearly occupied by people not really taking part in society, well... See how I look down my nose?!?!?!?!? :rolleyes:

I'm confused :wacko: you said you were a 'hirer' yet you sound distinctly like a 'weekender' :lol:

Edited by Pretty Funked Up

I never imagined that i was to be the catalyst for Canal world war ! As it is obvious that neither party wants to concede the last word, Can i call a truce at this point and thank all for the positive responses EARLIER IN THE POST ? Have though, realistically to accept that it will likely continue , only question is, which party will buckle and continue this pointless crusade ? Happy travels fellow boaters, may i meet you all along the way at some stage.

Derek