Silica gel crystals

NBMike

Featured Posts

I put a couple of sachets of silica gel crystals in the boat biscuit tin to keep the damp off my fruit shortcakes. Is this likely to be hazardous to my health?

Mike

Not as long as you don't eat the Gel . . . .

Now - - you could always put(instead of silica) a small saucer/pot of dry raw rice in the biscuit barrel - - - that should do the trick!

I put a couple of sachets of silica gel crystals in the boat biscuit tin to keep the damp off my fruit shortcakes. Is this likely to be hazardous to my health?

Mike

You might want to checkout this site, a lot of FAQ about Silica Gel:

http://silicagelpackets.co.uk/faqs/

Silica Gel is non-toxic and is used in food products everyday as a "anti-caking" device. So there is no worries about using with your shortcakes. It seems a lot of the food you already eat probably already contains Silica Gel as a preservative!

You might want to checkout this site, a lot of FAQ about Silica Gel:

http://silicagelpackets.co.uk/faqs/

Silica Gel is non-toxic and is used in food products everyday as a "anti-caking" device. So there is no worries about using with your shortcakes. It seems a lot of the food you already eat probably already contains Silica Gel as a preservative!

Sorry Bill,

Whilst Silica Gel is non-toxic, it is a different form of silica that you may possibly find is some foods as an anti-caking agent, NOT silica gel, Sir!

Sorry Bill,

Whilst Silica Gel is non-toxic, it is a different form of silica that you may possibly find is some foods as an anti-caking agent, NOT silica gel, Sir!

Thanks for that was getting a little worried

surely if you have a good, decent biscuit tin you shouldnt need anything else to stop the biscuits from going soft anyway?! Get a decent tin!

In actual fact they rarely stay in the tin long enough anyway, but I was just querying wether it could be toxic or irritant.

Mike