Kennet and Avon

Flocal

Featured Posts

Anyone attempted getting between Kintbury and Pewsey recently?

According to the stoppage list on Waterscape Hungerford 76 and Wire 73 locks are still closed but i have met people who have supposedly cruised through recently.

Also watchout for a rather large tree right in the centre of the canal just as you approach Bruce tunnel from Burbage road bridge, narrow boats should be ok but not wide beam.

I am also very interested to hear any news on this stretch. As far as I know Hungerford Marsh lock is closed for repairs and one of the others is delayed in reopening. Says till 23rd March on the stoppages chart. I am confused if peopel are actually getting through the locks.

My understanding is that both Wire and Hungerford Marsh locks are closed until 23rd March. I have seen nothing moving west from Kintbury for weeks. The only movement has been a few boats coming to Kintbury and then heading back towards Newbury

Rik

My understanding is that both Wire and Hungerford Marsh locks are closed until 23rd March. I have seen nothing moving west from Kintbury for weeks. The only movement has been a few boats coming to Kintbury and then heading back towards Newbury

Rik

The e-mail I received at 15-19 today (1/3/12) was :

Hungerford Marsh Lock 73

Monday 16 January 2012 - Friday 23 March 2012

UPDATE (01 March 2012): Please note Lock 72 & 74 have also been padlocked to maintain water levels and to safeguard personal safety on the lock stoppage.

...so it seems there won't be a lot of movement through this stretch... and for about 3 weeks

Nick

...so it seems there won't be a lot of movement through this stretch... and for about 3 weeks

It's a relief that, from what one hears, many people moored on the K&A have no great interest in moving anywhere anyway.

Still shut then by the sounds of it, people must be getting confused.

A boat turned up last week at Wootton Rivers and he said he came from Kintbury, i didnt manage to chat to him so assuming he didnt come from there in the last few weeks.

Chris Pink, on 02 March 2012 - 11:34 AM, said:

From what one hears people from Upwell Norfolk have 11 toes.

inbreeding, so they say

SO you have been to the fens and the forest of dean have you?

Doubt it

From what one hears people from Upwell Norfolk have 11 toes.

inbreeding, so they say

I've never met anyone with 11 toes. I think this is just a rumour Chris. Unless of course you have proof.

Martyn

Edited by Nightwatch

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone attempted getting between Kintbury and Pewsey recently?

According to the stoppage list on Waterscape Hungerford 76 and Wire 73 locks are still closed but i have met people who have supposedly cruised through recently.

Well there were two Eve Trackway vehicles in Hungerford this morning, so i expect they are collecting the access track to Marsh Lock.

However from the train i saw Wire lock has a portable dam across the top and a flurry of activity (and Waterscape now says closed till 30th March).

Added hazzards now - the regular canoe time trials running - 25th March its from Devizes to Newbury, so get ready to rock-and-roll on your moorings. . .

Simon (now a landbound commuter again).

No, I agree Martyn, it's just a rumour I heard, I don't have any proof.

Rather like Athy.

Touche, Mr. Pink!

I don't originate from Upwell, but a chap who does told me that they have advanced greatly over the last few years: they no longer, he claimed, have webbed feet and they've stopped pointing when a car goes past.

In Lincolnshire, however....no, I'll stop there, it's just a rumour I've heard. ;)

My daughter had 11 toes when she was born...

not from Norfolk though but North Yorkshire..

& the weather is lovely in Great Bedwyn on the K & A today :rolleyes:

Edited by Gillie

My daughter had 11 toes when she was born...

not from Norfolk though but North Yorkshire..

& the weather is lovely in Great Bedwyn on the K & A today :rolleyes:

I'm jealous, soon though, boats going in on tuesday now!

Hows the situation at Hungerford Wire Lock now - is it looking good for opening end of the week?

Took the newly painted Compass Rose out for an outing from Devizes last weekend (originally our plan was to get to Aldermaston in one long weekend). Had a great time cruising up to Crofton and back, esp the long pound at night which was a treat.

I understand that Hungerford Marsh lock is now open but Wire is still closed.

According to the latest BW stoppage notice Wire will open tomorrow, but don't bet your life on it!

Rik

Well looking out of the train window this morning, Wire Lock looks to be navigable again. . .

Simon.