New Nicholson Guides

classicstove

Featured Posts

Have to say I bought a new one last year for The South and have to say there were a lot of mistakes (and I do not mean pubs that have closed) I put it down to bad proof reading as they are now printed in China. Did wonder why we could not print them in England but then I know nothing about printing. Should have just stuck to my 1987 edition!!!

With all the up to date (and often better) info now available on the net, and more real-time computerised guides coming online, do you not think the paper guides' days are numbered?

Brian

Probably, but its nice to have a "tactile" version just in case you can't get on the interwebby thingy.

Probably, but its nice to have a "tactile" version just in case you can't get on the interwebby thingy.

In the same vein, so not off topic too much.

Can anybody with a Kindle electronic book review how well the Waterscape 'Boaters Guides' work on the device?

With all the up to date (and often better) info now available on the net, and more real-time computerised guides coming online, do you not think the paper guides' days are numbered?

Brian

The trouble is you tend to have to compile it for yourself. I don't know of an internet site for example that could tell me that at Avoncliffe the canal crosses the valley on an aqueduct, just east of this is a pub called the cross guns which does real ale and food, a mile and a half further on is Bradford on Avon where there are visitor moorings, a lock with a rise of 10 feet, several pubs within a short walk of the canal and a 14th century tithe barn next to the canal, five miles beyond that is a village called semmington, no more locks but one swing bridge, in Semmington is a pub called the somerset arms which serves real ale and food...

The internet can supplement all that but It isn't very good at giving you the basics if you are totally unfamiliar with the area

The trouble is you tend to have to compile it for yourself. I don't know of an internet site for example that could tell me that at Avoncliffe the canal crosses the valley on an aqueduct, just east of this is a pub called the cross guns which does real ale and food, a mile and a half further on is Bradford on Avon where there are visitor moorings, a lock with a rise of 10 feet, several pubs within a short walk of the canal and a 14th century tithe barn next to the canal, five miles beyond that is a village called semmington, no more locks but one swing bridge, in Semmington is a pub called the somerset arms which serves real ale and food...

The internet can supplement all that but It isn't very good at giving you the basics if you are totally unfamiliar with the area

I mostly use a program which I bought for £29.50 about 2 yrs ago called "Canal Planner"

It does give all that info plus a lot more. Unfortunately the owner then decided to emigrate to NZ, so it no longer gets

updated as it once did. Would have thought there was a business opportunity there for some internet savvy boater.

There's also Jim Sheads website which I find valuable My link

I expect there are other resources which I've not yet found as I've had no reason to look.

Still use Nichollsons as well though!! Much easier to keep up on the back deck.

Brian

I mostly use a program which I bought for £29.50 about 2 yrs ago called "Canal Planner"

It does give all that info plus a lot more. Unfortunately the owner then decided to emigrate to NZ, so it no longer gets

updated as it once did. Would have thought there was a business opportunity there for some internet savvy boater.

There's also Jim Sheads website which I find valuable My link

I expect there are other resources which I've not yet found as I've had no reason to look.

Still use Nichollsons as well though!! Much easier to keep up on the back deck.

Brian

You will find some of my photos on there. The program was written by a boating friend Syd Arkless who unfortunately died at quite an early age. His son, David took over maintaining and expanding the program for quite some time, but David is a computer man, not a boater and I understand he has now decided not to continue with it.

You will find some of my photos on there. The program was written by a boating friend Syd Arkless who unfortunately died at quite an early age. His son, David took over maintaining and expanding the program for quite some time, but David is a computer man, not a boater and I understand he has now decided not to continue with it.

Thanks for that DC. Yes it does have thousands of excellent photos, which is why it does take a while to open!

At the time it was far and away the best online guide and at a reasonable price, and personally think it still is.

(I think I got my copy at a reduced price shortly before Mr Arkless stopped supporting it). Did he not emigrate?

95% of things don't change much on the canals, so I still find it extremely useful even without the updates.

It still remains connected to BW tho, so I continue to get every stoppage notice from BW each time I connect to it.

And it covers the entire system, rather than needing a load of different guides.

Surely there must be some boaty nerd on here who could make a successful business out of such a fine and versatile product?

I would most certainly suscribe to an updating service.

Brian

Thanks for that DC. Yes it does have thousands of excellent photos, which is why it does take a while to open!

At the time it was far and away the best online guide and at a reasonable price, and personally think it still is.

(I think I got my copy at a reduced price shortly before Mr Arkless stopped supporting it). Did he not emigrate?

95% of things don't change much on the canals, so I still find it extremely useful even without the updates.

It still remains connected to BW tho, so I continue to get every stoppage notice from BW each time I connect to it.

And it covers the entire system, rather than needing a load of different guides.

Surely there must be some boaty nerd on here who could make a successful business out of such a fine and versatile product?

I would most certainly suscribe to an updating service.

Brian

Hi

I thought about buying this: http://eureauweb.com/Water-Way/ it can be installed on your phone or PC, I obviously can't say how good it is yet but it looks promising.

Ann

Hi

I thought about buying this: http://eureauweb.com/Water-Way/ it can be installed on your phone or PC, I obviously can't say how good it is yet but it looks promising.

Ann

Agreed - it does look superb!

Rather more expensive than my £30 program, but it does do more of course incl the SatNav facility.

What does put me off is the £25/yr subscription as well. Thats £250 extra over 10 yrs. I think I am stingey!

In the same vein, so not off topic too much.

Can anybody with a Kindle electronic book review how well the Waterscape 'Boaters Guides' work on the device?

Yes, work... but the guides are in A4 so are the text is really too small (even with large text enabled), I've tried converting them but it loses all the format.

It's usable if you select large text mode on waterscape and use the Kindle in landscape mode so only viewing half the page at a time (but the text is still small).

I've got the Eureauweb (my leaving present when I retired from the Marina).

It is very good as far as the canals go, but doesn't have the extra info that Nicholsons' have. Plus the Nicholsons' use 1:25K OS maps which I like.

The big advantage of Eureauweb over the net versions is that the full program is installed on your netbook or whatever, so you are not reliant on having a 3G signal. Regular updates can be downloaded however (but they are large, so ideally need a landline access).

Incidently, N icholson's have changed their update policy. They used to issue new editions every three (or 4?) years for the whole series, and the next update was due this spring. However I understand they now plan to issue one or two sections each year.

And yes, they are usually available on Amazon for about half the marked price (which is cheaper than the normal wholesale price that marinas pay!).

Edited by dor

Plus paper guides cost less to replace if you drop them in the drink :)

I go for the low tech option every time. You can carry it with you and leave it in a map holder in the rain and it still works, never loses a signal or runs out of batteries...

Andy