Front doors - Replacement

Featured Posts

Think this year will have to get new bow doors - Any recs on who to approach for a good job? Also what is the best wood to go for, dont fancy Oak as this can show black marks over time! With the amount of boatbuilders and yards disappearing at an alarming rate... where to go these days, who to trust for a professional job, these are all questions us boaters ask these days. So any input would be as always much appreciated. :cheers:

I'd better declare an interest first... I work at Brinklow Boat Services.

You could do what we have done on the boat we are completing at the moment (and on a couple of previous examples) and have an outer set of plain steel doors and an inner set of wooden glazed ones with hinged door posts allowing them to fold flat against the bulkhead. Fiddly to make but it gives you the option of high security steel/nice to look at and you can see out of the front wood.

David

Ours are steel but clad with panelled wood within, so they look "nicer" when they're open, as they almost always are when we're cruising.

The Brinklow solution sounds elegant but pricy! When Trojan was built, the fitter was going to put sliding glass panels immediately behind the doors, but he never got round to it and neither have we.

Sounds pricey? perhaps so but in reality I am amazed just how cheap Brinklow are for what will be the very best job it is possible to achieved by man.......well Rex if it is wood. Never had any work done by Brinklow because I thought just the same as you, too dear and in any case most of our stuff was done by Keith Ball. Talking to Rex Wain when he was picking up 'Ian' from Warwickshire Fly(when we picked up 'Bakewell) he told us both how much a new Ellum would be (£180!!!!!!) and how much they charged for a full length replica shell (35,000) which is simply astounding given the amount of labour goes into achieving such perfection. The front door on Bakewell was made by Rex 35 year ago when he lived aboard and is still perfect. It seems to me, and I used to be a metal basher, that the Brinklow boys are running what amounts to be a paying hobby.:)

Thanks for enlightening me, PB. I was not suggesting that Brinklow were not cmpetitive in their pricing, I meant that as two sets of doors needed to be made and installed it would work out dearer than one pair.

I'd better declare an interest first... I work at Brinklow Boat Services.

You could do what we have done on the boat we are completing at the moment (and on a couple of previous examples) and have an outer set of plain steel doors and an inner set of wooden glazed ones with hinged door posts allowing them to fold flat against the bulkhead. Fiddly to make but it gives you the option of high security steel/nice to look at and you can see out of the front wood.

David

That is what we have.

Sounds pricey? perhaps so but in reality I am amazed just how cheap Brinklow are for what will be the very best job it is possible to achieved by man.......well Rex if it is wood. Never had any work done by Brinklow because I thought just the same as you, too dear and in any case most of our stuff was done by Keith Ball. Talking to Rex Wain when he was picking up 'Ian' from Warwickshire Fly(when we picked up 'Bakewell) he told us both how much a new Ellum would be (£180!!!!!!) and how much they charged for a full length replica shell (35,000) which is simply astounding given the amount of labour goes into achieving such perfection. The front door on Bakewell was made by Rex 35 year ago when he lived aboard and is still perfect. It seems to me, and I used to be a metal basher, that the Brinklow boys are running what amounts to be a paying hobby.:)

Mine were not that pricy. The hull builder supplied the hull with steel doors. I hung wooden doors in a wooden frame mounted just inside the steel doors. It does mean we can't have a door handle on the outside of the wooden doors as that would foul the inside of the steel doors, so we just use a yale lock. The inner doors are hung on "Parliament" hinges so they open outside the steel doors and are held open with magnetic catches.

Does anyone have a link to Brinklow so I can have a nosey at their work?

Only asking as I was thinking about changing doors too.

We have a website brinklowboatservices.com or you are welcome to have a look around if you like.

David

Or I could take a photo of said doors tomorrow.

We have a website brinklowboatservices.com or you are welcome to have a look around if you like.

David

Or I could take a photo of said doors tomorrow.

Have found the site :) ...but would appreciate a photo of 'said doors'...thanks.

Talking to Rex Wain when he was picking up 'Ian' from Warwickshire Fly(when we picked up 'Bakewell) he told us both how much a new Ellum would be (£180!!!!!!)

Cripes! That really would be hobby boatbuilding: I take it you mean tiller rather than ellum - there's around a week's work in an ellum.

Even for the tiller it is on the cheap side for the work involved, particularly getting it to fit correctly.

David

Woops!!! you are of course quite right, I am a silly old fool. Rex said that if I took the broken tiller to Simon in Brewood he would bring it in (we moor at Keith Ball's). I though that it was cheap but I was not going to argue especially as it was the first time that I had spoken to Rex and we were both somewhat in awe, especially as we had just bought one of his former boats, Bakewell. However we have just helped do our gunnells in oak and the cost inc. labour was less than I could have bought the wood for, so what do I know.

I have wooden doors and they are a right royal pain in the extremeties. I have had them altered twice in the last eight weeks due to warping and would go for the option of metal lined with wood given the option again.

Mine haven't warped in 12 years. Maybe construction has something to do with it.

Does anyone have a link to Brinklow so I can have a nosey at their work?

Only asking as I was thinking about changing doors too.

Hi,

I had my boat painted there (well OBP). During several visits to check work I had a look round Brinkow's yard, really nice, helpful people and the scope of the work undertaken was amazing.

Leo.

Edited by LEO

Thanks for the replies... and David can you send me a pic of the wooden type of doors you do please and also approx prices as a guide, tks in advance. :cheers:

Have found the site ...but would appreciate a photo of 'said doors'...thanks.

PM sent to both.

David