brass tunnel light

Miffy

Featured Posts

What happens when the topwpath is on the other side?

Our permanent mooring is on the offside, but when we are out cruising we almost always moor on the towpath side, so that problem does not arise.

Our permanent mooring is on the offside, but when we are out cruising we almost always moor on the towpath side, so that problem does not arise.

Am I missing something Mike? On most canals that I cruise the towpath regularly changes sides, and even if it doesn't, it is on the other side when returning!

Am I missing something Mike? On most canals that I cruise the towpath regularly changes sides, and even if it doesn't, it is on the other side when returning!

Perhaps Mike reverses back to base,shining a torch.

Unless of course you are on the Aire and Calder canal sections when the towpath is on both sides :D

No, David, but if we moor on the towpath side, because the light will swivel on its pole, we can use it to illuminate the towpath. I don't see where the problem is.

Ah! you have added a new feature to your description, we now know that it is adjustable. Having said that I have never found the need to illuminate the towpath. If I do need to go out of the boat after dark, I find a good torch more than adequate.

Edited by David Schweizer

Ah! you have added a new feature to your description, we now know that it is now adjustable. Having said that I have never found the need to illuminate the towpath. If I do need to go out of the boat after dark, I find a good torch more than adequate.

I'll second that! Tunnel lights are for tunnels.

Brian

Whilst I agree with your second point, (I bought my 1930's Lucas King of the Road Foglight for a Fiver at a boot sale) I cannot concur with you first observation. The light, which should be a wide flat beam, should be aimed at the centre of the tunnel roof, where it scribes a narrow arc of light, Once you are inside the tunnel and your eyes have adjusted , it is perfectly adequate to t=steer by, Pouinting upwards it cannot dazzle any oncoming boats, however aiming it at the water reflects the light upwards from water level into the eyes of the oncoming boat.

Many people have too bright a light, sometimes even more than one. I find my sinbgle 35watt tungsten bulb perfectly adequate, and I cannot understand why some people need to illuminate the whole tunnel for half a mile, when a hundred yards is more than enough, you are only doing 4mph, it's not a motorway!.

I'm thinking about all the time, boating at night,not just in tunnels, you really need to see the water infront of you, once i was going without a lamp and i ploughed into a fallen tree up the shroppie, and another time i came across the aquaduct at Milton Keynes planked off at night, with no signs at all, i never found out why but i'm sure glad i didn't hit it.

I'm thinking about all the time, boating at night,not just in tunnels, you really need to see the water infront of you, once i was going without a lamp and i ploughed into a fallen tree up the shroppie, and another time i came across the aquaduct at Milton Keynes planked off at night, with no signs at all, i never found out why but i'm sure glad i didn't hit it.

The lighting requirements for cruising at night are somewhat different from the need for illumination in a tunnel, which is why we had several different lights on the trip boat used to work, for differing circumstances. However the reality is that by far the majority of boaters do not cruise at night and only require a Tunnel light, which should be a low intensity flat beam angled upwards to the tunnel roof.

I'm quite serious about mounting it as far aft as possible because it lights up the roof of the boat so you see the boat in relation to the tunnel.

Don't knock it till you have tried it and I do use a Francis lamp and I doubt if it is any worse than any other lamp when on wide beam.

I've passed boats in tunnels with them fitted and it was never a problem.

Although we have a conventional tunnel lamp mounted at the front, I do like to put a second magnetic lamp just in front oif the steerer. As said, it lights up the roof and gives me a better idea of where I am in relation to the tunnel side. In Standedge it meant I could see the obstructions that the 'chaperone'; warned me about.

Regards

Pete

Although we have a conventional tunnel lamp mounted at the front, I do like to put a second magnetic lamp just in front oif the steerer. As said, it lights up the roof and gives me a better idea of where I am in relation to the tunnel side. In Standedge it meant I could see the obstructions that the 'chaperone'; warned me about.

Regards

Pete

Very good idea! I do the same.

(Ever since the bulb blew on my main tunnel light 200 meters into Netherton Tunnel - and then the battery went flat on my backup "x zillion candlepower" torch within 20 minutes, leaving me in the dark for the best part of a mile.)

Regards

Pete

Assuming that you have a converted boat with windows, turning the Port side interior lights on reflects light off the interior wall and through the windows onto the tunnel wall. Having said that, I always carry a hand held lamp on the slide when going thriough tunnels, just in case the tunnel light fails.

Assuming that you have a converted boat with windows, turning the Port side interior lights on reflects light off the interior wall and through the windows onto the tunnel wall. Having said that, I always carry a hand held lamp on the slide when going thriough tunnels, just in case the tunnel light fails.

David's technique of switching on interior lights is what we used to do even with a boat with portholes. The light sent out to the tunnel walls allows you to judge distance quite well and isn't too bright to take away your night/darkness vision for looking ahead.

Roger

On my boat David i have installed two of the small circular 12v LED patio fully weather proofed light units on either side of my cabin side at the front just above gunnel height with their own switches inside.These are for illuminating the gang plank and towpath locally at night,they are also superb in tunnels although i've only used them in the Islington tunnel,but a tunnel is a tunnel. I should have retained this as a Wheeze.

If you are still looking: http://www.procastnotts.com/100340/info.php?p=7

I can't say if they are any good however...not used them and don't use Pro-cast!!!!

or: http://www.aquafax.co.uk/html/product_details.asp?ID=25063

Thanks, I didn't know I was going to stir up such a hornets nest when I posted the question !!