Fender Treatment

Featured Posts

Just got new bow and stern fenders for my boat, and I would like to treat them with some preservative before I hang them on the boat. In the past I've used a mixture of old engine oil and creosote, but I've now used it all up and I can't buy any more creosote in the quantity I need ( about two litres) What does everyone else use, if anything?

Just got new bow and stern fenders for my boat, and I would like to treat them with some preservative before I hang them on the boat. In the past I've used a mixture of old engine oil and creosote, but I've now used it all up and I can't buy any more creosote in the quantity I need ( about two litres) What does everyone else use, if anything?

What are they made of,,,?

What are they made of,,,?

Natural rope.

Have you used this stuff? Is it as good as "proper" creosote that we used to be able to get? If it smells like proper creosote it may be OK, because the smell used to stop the local cats using my fenders as a scratching post!

Natural rope.

Have you used this stuff? Is it as good as "proper" creosote that we used to be able to get? If it smells like proper creosote it may be OK, because the smell used to stop the local cats using my fenders as a scratching post!

No, I haven't used it yet but am about to next week.

Use the search on Creosote if you can before Alnwick comes along with the details. Creosote is available from at least an outfit in Liverpool and you will need more than 2 litres to do a proper job on a new fender. ISTR mine took about 6 pints each and the tipcat over a gallon.

N

I use Creocote as a good alternative to Creosote. To do them properly you need to dunk them and, as BEngo says, it takes a lot. My three rear fenders absorbed 2 gallons of the stuff. Also you have to let them dry out thoroughly otherwise you'll have horrible oily stains on your paintwork and if they drip into the cut, you'll think you've got a diesel spill.

Proper 100% coal tar creosote is still available from farm suppliers.

You have to buy a 25 litre drum as it is not sold for DIY use.

I got a drum a few months ago no problem and its cheaper than the other stuff.

I was in TFM the other week and they had 25 litre drums for (I think) £60.

Hi

My understanding is that creosote, the old preservative, does marine life no good at all. Years ago I was advised to use clear wood preserver such as Cuprinol or store based similars. I treated them with Cuprinol initially (hung them up and brushed the stuff over many times, along with a drip tray to catch and re-use the drippings) and try and do so every other winter. The stern fenders, apart from natural discolouration etc are fine, 10 years on. I replaced the bow fender last year....nothing to do with the preservation, just worn out from use!! Hope that this helps.

Cheers

Dave

I use Creocote as a good alternative to Creosote. To do them properly you need to dunk them and, as BEngo says, it takes a lot. My three rear fenders absorbed 2 gallons of the stuff. Also you have to let them dry out thoroughly otherwise you'll have horrible oily stains on your paintwork and if they drip into the cut, you'll think you've got a diesel spill.

Yes, we've used it too, first did Warrior's (then new) fenders in 2007; have redone them once since and they are still like new. Get a dustbin to soak them in. You can recover the excess to use next time. We found that it takes paint off if not properly drained though (so it must be quite good stuff!)