Broken Propeller

Roxy

Featured Posts

I'd turn the boat around and work from the pontoon. I believe the drive should wind slightly further out of the water. You can also ballast the other end of the boat to bring it up some more if need be.

The Enfield I repaired (despite Bob Knowles :rolleyes: ), we managed to ballast the boat enough to be able to remove the whole 'Z' leg without craning/slipping the boat, though IIRC we did work from the slipway.

I suspect you on moored on the 'island' as opposed to the 'parlour' which is quiet shallow. Either way if you move to the slipway and start hauling your boat up then there may be a charge, might be worth having a word with alex in the office prior to doing this.

I don't want to speculate on best ways to work on prop area without being there, I will let you know when I am in the vicinity.

Nick.

Yes Im on the 'Island' Nick, Ive also been trying to get hold of someone at the marina as my electric box has tripped and cant get into it without a key but theres been no one about since xmas :angry:

I'll pm you my number as I will be on my boat from tommorrow until Tuesday night.

Regards and thankyou

Rachel

Never mind having a bent prop... how about the time I was wondering why the boat wouldn't go. Seemed to be going into gear but no prop wash. After much head scratching looked down weed hatch to discover that the prop had fallen off! This was on a trip boat freshly loaded with passengers!

The Phutt-Phutt tube is the simplest and most reliable form of propulsion.

The Phutt-Phutt tube is the simplest and most reliable form of propulsion.

I've had a couple of those to make bathing more enjoyable when I was little, it's a perfect system but I've never seen it used on anything bigger than my bath tub toys.

Peter.

I've had a couple of those to make bathing more enjoyable when I was little, it's a perfect system but I've never seen it used on anything bigger than my bath tub toys.

Peter.

The water needs to be calm,and a steady flow of just the right amount of water running up the tube at any one time to produce flash steam and so create the Phutt. :mellow:

There was a gut selling Phutt, phutt boats for the bath at Lincoln Christmas Market this year. At £5 a go he was doing a reasonable amount of business. His marketing material said that the largest boat to this design was 36 foot long and not suprisingly deafened everyone on board.

Yes Im on the 'Island' Nick, Ive also been trying to get hold of someone at the marina as my electric box has tripped and cant get into it without a key but theres been no one about since xmas :angry:

I'll pm you my number as I will be on my boat from tommorrow until Tuesday night.

Regards and thankyou

Rachel

PM received and replied to.

I can't help with electric box but will see you on Tuesday.

Nick

There was a gut selling Phutt, phutt boats for the bath at Lincoln Christmas Market this year. At £5 a go he was doing a reasonable amount of business. His marketing material said that the largest boat to this design was 36 foot long and not suprisingly deafened everyone on board.

36' is already quite a boat, I would love to see that one in reality.

Peter.

36' is already quite a boat, I would love to see that one in reality.

Peter.

A toy salesman at Lincoln Christmas market may not be the most accurate source of reliable technical information.

Richard

• Greenie 1

Having taken the trouble to drive to Leicester to enquire of Knowles about some Lister conversion parts we were met with a similar and equally unfriendly response.

It was his loss as we bought elsewhere but how do people with such appalling attitudes towards those who supply their bread and butter manage to stay in business?

Usually by having a virtual monopoly of a certain class of supplies.

If you hold the vast majority of the available stock of a certain item, and ever other retailer is going to come to you to source it, then you have the upper hand.

Having taken the trouble to drive to Leicester to enquire of Knowles about some Lister conversion parts we were met with a similar and equally unfriendly response.

It was his loss as we bought elsewhere but how do people with such appalling attitudes towards those who supply their bread and butter manage to stay in business?I despair of the British attitude towards customer relations. Avoid. Regards, HughC.

Many years ago I had the same kind of attitude from him as well, simple solution I don't even think of using him.

Roxy those props are certainly not the worst I have seen and should repair. We use Streamlined Prop Repairs and they are very good. They aim to have the prop back to you in 3 days and charge around £40 per prop plus postage.

We change ours in the water either by stern mooring the boat to a pontoon, raising the leg and leaning over, or beaching the boat in the slipway, or from the dinghy all of which are easily done. It is probably wise to carry a spare prop for incidents like these. If it happens and you are miles from home you need at least a get you home set of props that are in good nick. We learnt this lesson the hard way when we picked a tree up between the props on the Ouse wrecking a set of props. Luckily we bumped into a guy who had a spare set and were sorted for under £100 but if not we would have been stranded in York whilst a replacement set were shipped or would have been coming home on a trailer. :blink:

Having met Bob knowles in the past and bought stuff from him Boris and I can only say we found him to be absolutely fine to do buisness with,no problems at all.

Roxy I can't help but I hope you get sorted soon,good luck

Edited by madcat

• 2 weeks later...

Repairable or not??

Big thanks to Hairy-Neil for taking it off for me :cheers:

401404_10151157613020109_837270108_22384440_529299232_n.jpg

Wouldn't like to say as it has the rubber cushion drive inside and they would need to heat it to carry out a repair which would destroy it.But if they can build it up gently by aluminium welding with the centre kept cool with say wet rags yes.Telephone a prop repairer and tell them it has the rubber sheer cushion inside and they will advise you.

Not necessarily so. Non steel boats, esp. in salty water, have them to protect the prop and/or rudder from each other. Singapore (wooden) has an anode on the (steel) rudder.

Interesting cheers.

I stand corrected Jenlyn..