Buying a gas oven for a narrowboat

nina

Featured Posts

I want to replace my gas oven & separate gas hob but on doing some research, I am finding the prices vary vastly between chandlery companies. I've found a Spinnaflo gas hob but there is 70.00 difference between several online sellers.

Has anyone bought new boat appliances recently? Can you share any tips on which is the best appliance and company?

I want to replace my gas oven & separate gas hob but on doing some research, I am finding the prices vary vastly between chandlery companies. I've found a Spinnaflo gas hob but there is 70.00 difference between several online sellers.

Has anyone bought new boat appliances recently? Can you share any tips on which is the best appliance and company?

I think recent discussions on here highlighted a couple of key points -

1 - There are not that many specifically made for LPG installation on boats, Spinflo (or variants of them which I've discovered ours is) seem to be the market leader in terms of numbers sold but not necessarily quality.

2 - Some designed for domestic installations using natural gas can relatively easily be adapted for for LPG use by changing to suitable burners.

3 - The source of the ignition in ovens can vary, 12V is the ideal on a boat obviously but some chandlers sell ones that have 240V supply for this.

Edited by MJG

I think recent discussions on here highlighted a couple of key points -

1 - There are not that many specifically made for LPG installation on boats, Spinflo (or variants of them which I've discovered ours is) seem to be the market leader in terms of numbers sold but not necessarily quality.

2 - Some designed for domestic installations using natural gas can relatively easily be adapted for for LPG use by changing to suitable burners.

3 - The source of the ignition in ovens can vary, 12V is the ideal on a boat obviously but some chandlers sell ones that have 240V supply for this.

Thought I'd mispelt Spinflo :-) I like their glass top hob. My husband says the same as you, that domestic gas ovens can be converted. This would need a certified gas fitter wouldn't it?

Thought I'd mispelt Spinflo :-) I like their glass top hob. My husband says the same as you, that domestic gas ovens can be converted. This would need a certified gas fitter wouldn't it?

The last bit I don't know to be sure to be honest - but if it does I can't imagine it would cost an arm and a leg - I think 1 or 2 on here have done their own though.

As to Spinflo - they seem to produce ovens under different names, Ours is called 'Country Leisure' or something similar but it is identical to a Spinflo.

Our hob which I think is a Spinflo is just a very basic one, no glass top and no electric ignition.

Edited by MJG

The last bit I don't know to be sure to be honest - but if it does I can't imagine it would cost an arm and a leg - I think 1 or 2 on here have done their own though.

As to Spinflo - they seem to produce ovens under different names, Ours is called 'Country Leisure' or something similar but it is identical to a Spinflo.

Our hob which I think is a Spinflo is just a very basic one, no glass top and no electric ignition.

Thankyou for your input. Next question if anyone knows, if my husband converts the gas cooker to LPG himself, does that invalidate the boat safety certificate?

Thankyou for your input. Next question if anyone knows, if my husband converts the gas cooker to LPG himself, does that invalidate the boat safety certificate?

I find most of these boaty ovens too small (I have a spinflo) crap value for money. You can jet a household appliance yourself, won't effect boat safety, tho it must have gas cutoff safety feature. Currys etc do LPG cookers anyway :)

I find most of these boaty ovens too small (I have a spinflo) crap value for money. You can jet a household appliance yourself, won't effect boat safety, tho it must have gas cutoff safety feature. Currys etc do LPG cookers anyway :)

Thankyou! :-) That helps a lot. Never thought about Curry's, I'll have a look online.

Just one more thing to aware of Nina - I note from your original post you are talking about replacing existing appliances - you may find a (converted to LPG) domestic oven may not fit your existing space.

Worth checking...

Thankyou! :-) That helps a lot. Never thought about Curry's, I'll have a look online.

The units to look for are those that are described as able to be fitted into a flat or multi occupancy dwelling. As these units have to have the same flame failure devices required on a boat. Most of these units will also be convertible to LPG and they often come with two sets of jets for natural gas and LPG.

Just one more thing to aware of Nina - I note from your original post you are talking about replacing existing appliances - you may find a (converted to LPG) domestic oven may not fit your existing space.

Worth checking...

You are completely right and thankyou for making the point. One problem we are finding is that most ovens are too big for the slot. I've got an excellent (from a cooking enthusiasts point of view) U shaped kitchen layout with doors opening out. If the new oven is too proud, I won't be able to open the cupboards. Taking forever to find the right size with good quality too.

Worth checking...

That's a good point as I found the same when looking for a replacement unit. I could not find many items that were not 600mm deep which was 100mm too much for us.

The units to look for are those that are described as able to be fitted into a flat or multi occupancy dwelling. As these units have to have the same flame failure devices required on a boat. Most of these units will also be convertible to LPG and they often come with two sets of jets for natural gas and LPG.

Thankyou. Will get my husband to read these very helpful points tonight.

Thankyou. Will get my husband to read these very helpful points tonight.

To give you some examples of the correct type here is a list on the Comet site.

http://www.comet.co.uk/c/Cookers/Gas-Free-Standing-Cookers/1753#/Specification/suitable-for-installation-in-flats---fsd-compliant=1753+4294966955

Other restriction is that because these are made for houses and flats they need to be connected to a 240v AC supply. You will need to also look for those that can be connected via a 13amp plug rather than a dedicated cooker supply.

Edited by churchward

Ebay. They come up from time to time.

Hi

Gas hobs are not a huge problem as many domestic ones now come with a set of calor jets and the flame sensor but most have now.

All are all 240v ignition so will have to be powered through an inverter.

My link

Gas ovens on boats tend to be smaller and mostly available from chandlers or caravan shops.

My link and My link

Alex

As has been said already, any cooker that is advertised as suitable for installation in a flat or multi-occupier dwelling will have flame failyre devices so will satisfy the BSS requirements. Many can be specified already for LPG, or else come with a second set of jets which can be easily exchanged without invalidating anything.

We looked in Comet, Currys etc and found a couple which seemed ideal. In the end we bought on line because the same cooker was £100 cheaper that way. It was delivered right into the galley of the boat and they offered to take our old one away (but we sold that on eBay instead). The one we bought was a Cannon, which needs 240v for the ignition but as a temporary measure we had already bought a small cheap (£30) inverter which just sat on the floor beside the cooker; later I routed our main 240v supply across to that side of the kitchen as well, and sold the inverter.

As others have said, the hobs are fairly easy to convert if they have the jets. I didn't know this and got the chap who fitted the gas line to do our hob. All it was, change the jets and adjust the flame size. Simples ! ours is a Baumatic and standard kitchen size and got it from Nailsea Electrical, best price I could find on line but collected from showroom as in Bristol.

Having followed this tread & learned much.

Am I right in thinking that for a new installations to meet current boat safety standards all burners must have flame out detectors?

I had hoped to be able to fit a 'standard' propane powered domestic device like the basic, functional & cheap 4 ring, oven/grill but only grill & oven have flame failure devices.

Having followed this tread & learned much.

Am I right in thinking that for a new installations to meet current boat safety standards all burners must have flame out detectors?

I had hoped to be able to fit a 'standard' propane powered domestic device like the basic, functional & cheap 4 ring, oven/grill but only grill & oven have flame failure devices.

Yes,

Anything you fit on a boat now, must have flame failure devices, (FFDs, but sometimes called FSDs - flame supervision devices),on everything, and that includes just normal hob burners.

Existing installations that were present on 3rd Jan 2000 are exempted from needing to have FFDs/FSDs, but if you replace an appliance, then the replacement must have them.

I believe details of appliances are always recorded on BSS documentation, so what was there at the last inspection is in theory "knowable".

Stoves, Spinflo and others produce suitable units. Shop around. To satisfy BSC requirements, you must have a flame failure device built into the stove (not unusual in most of them) and a readily accessible point nearby to isolate the unit. If a separate hob and oven, one for each. Any gas connections between the supply (probably the bow locker or the stern locker) must be equally accessible. And there should be a test point built in.