so close

peter nelson

Featured Posts

Hi guys.

i came so close today to owning a boat, but it just wasnt to be :(

as some of you may know i have been saving for a while and have raised £1150 and today i spotted this on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CABIN-CRUISER-23FT-/260907309485?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cbf4999ad

it was perfect sleaps 4 (me, wife, and two girls) comes with a mooring at prestonbrook which is walking distance from my house and has a waiting list.

as soon as it popped on ebay i thought i have to get this but i was £150 short so phoned a friend to lend the rest of the cash and wouldent you know it by the time i got the cash and came off the phone it had sold.

it must have been up for less than an hour. grrrrrrrrr.

pete

Sorry to hear that Pete , But dont be such a hurry mate its alot of money to spend so make sure its worth it. Saying that I did buy my narrowboat off ebay , but money only changed hands after a full survey and two and half months later she was mine and a bloody bargain, she was valued £12.000 more than I paid for her. As the saying goes "your boat will come in" dont rush into it.

Stan .

sound advice.

but my way of looking at it was at £1300 the boat was a snip and it was worth paying to get the mooring which was fully paid till end of jan.

and if i ended up hating the boat im sure i could put it back on ebay in the summer and make a profit but keep the mooring in prestonbrook for my next boat.

As I have no experience at all with cruisers , I cant possibly offer any advice on the actual boat . But if you are going to spend serious money , please at least visit the boat ,its all about how it feels to you ,how it smells , fit out , etc. I would say sit on your savings and watch them grow, it can be done on very little money (well in narrowboat territory) As Starcoaster has proven. Small springer at a reasonable price and now living aboard.

Keep on looking Pete, there are some bargains around at the moment, but that did look a very tidy boat. You're lucky that there are quite a few GRP cruiser around locally on the Bridgewater & River Weaver. I would think it would be worth calling in to some of the local cruising clubs and chatting with members as this is a great way to get advice, and hear of any boats that may be coming up for sale even before they are even advertised.

Cheers, Brian

Keep on looking Pete, there are some bargains around at the moment, but that did look a very tidy boat. You're lucky that there are quite a few GRP cruiser around locally on the Bridgewater & River Weaver. I would think it would be worth calling in to some of the local cruising clubs and chatting with members as this is a great way to get advice, and hear of any boats that may be coming up for sale even before they are even advertised.

Cheers, Brian

A friend has just been given an abandoned Norman cruiser which is very tidy. The owner handed over to the club where it was moored in return for unpaid mooring fees. Andy has paid the outstanding mooring fees and will get her licensed and C of C done. It is worth asking around.

A friend has just been given an abandoned Norman cruiser which is very tidy. The owner handed over to the club where it was moored in return for unpaid mooring fees. Andy has paid the outstanding mooring fees and will get her licensed and C of C done. It is worth asking around.

keep saving pete, the qe2 is only three years away...

Don't forget too, there's a lot of 'buyers remorse' with auctioned boats on ebay...

Might be worth messaging the seller and asking them to bear you in mind if the sake falls through!

thats good advice star i msged him and he told me he is more than happy to let me know if it falls through, also told me how much a month he pays to moor at preston brook which is great as thats were i want to be,

i cant cc due to work commitments.

ps you are my insperation star as when i joined here you didnt have a boat and i followed your posts from looking to buy, buying a grp cruser, changing to the springer nb.

i am so jelous and happy you got your dream.

pete

dam the new owner put it straight back on ebay for over double what he paid i hope it sinks before he finds a buyer and he loses his cash grrrrrrrrrrrrr

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...mMakeTrack=true

Make him an offer of just a little more than he paid. He says in the add that he is selling as he has bought a boat nearer to home.

Martyn

thats good advice star i msged him and he told me he is more than happy to let me know if it falls through, also told me how much a month he pays to moor at preston brook which is great as thats were i want to be,

i cant cc due to work commitments.

ps you are my insperation star as when i joined here you didnt have a boat and i followed your posts from looking to buy, buying a grp cruser, changing to the springer nb.

i am so jelous and happy you got your dream.

pete

Are you looking to live on the boat?

If so i would look at saving a little bit more money and buying something a little bigger.

Are you looking to live on the boat?

If so i would look at saving a little bit more money and buying something a little bigger.

no i plan to use it weekends and the odd week off in summer till i retire in 20 years then change boat and get something i can live on

hmmm he accepted my offer of £1300 now i know he paid that last week so im now thinking it has a problem when i shuld be happy

i have emaild the original seller last week to ask whats up with it

no i plan to use it weekends and the odd week off in summer till i retire in 20 years then change boat and get something i can live on

hmmm he accepted my offer of £1300 now i know he paid that last week so im now thinking it has a problem when i shuld be happy

Ah. Just wondered with the CC comment earlier.

Edited by Phylis

maybe he is just selling you the boat and keeping the mooring

nope mooring included which is the main reason im looking at this boat, as with 4 of us it is far from ideal but for a year or two while i save for a bigger boat it will do.

then i save like mad for a few years and as i have a useable boat i can take my time and find the perfect boat but keep the mooring.

Something "smells" wrong to me here......

From the limited info given, the latest owner, (who seems to be a boat business, or associated with one), bought this hoping to make a (considerable) quick buck.

He is now prepared to accept under half of what he has re-advertised it for, even though (as I read it) that e-bay ad only went up last night ?

Be suspicious - very suspicious!!

Note whilst seller has mostly good feedback they also have......

Bad seller who lie, i really needed the item but he didn't send me

got messed about didn't have wot i won was sold elsewhere full of excuses

Generally the stuff he is selling on e-Bay is for tens of pounds, not four figure sums.