BCN 24 Hour Challenge 2012

Capt Ahab

Featured Posts

Ordinarily I'd be attempting to find myself a crew berth for this, as it looks like far too much fun. Unfortunately, it's the weekend before the Three Rivers Race, and I don't think I could manage two 24 hour boating challenges in the space of a week, particularly when one of them is 175 miles away.

Assuming that in future years the dates don't clash so much, I'd definitely be up for doing both.

Exciting update!!

There was a bit of lobbying last year for the Warwick & Birmingham Canal (now GU) from the Warwick Bar to Salford Junction to be adopted as an honorary stretch of the BCN for the Challenge - it need all the traffic it can get! Just had an email to say it is now in this year's route - a nice alternative to the Aston flight. Hurrah.

• 3 weeks later...

Exciting update!!

There was a bit of lobbying last year for the Warwick & Birmingham Canal (now GU) from the Warwick Bar to Salford Junction to be adopted as an honorary stretch of the BCN for the Challenge - it need all the traffic it can get! Just had an email to say it is now in this year's route - a nice alternative to the Aston flight. Hurrah.

This is absolutely true - The forms arrived this morning and the route from Proofhouse Junction to Salford Junction via Bordesley Junction is 3 miles with 5 locks on a bonus factor of 1.

Only four months to go....

Andy

Who-Hoooo!

New rules - we now get 100 points just for turning up (70' boat, check the length and draught bonuses)!!

Richard

Yes it did make me think that you had written the new rules. You have a 50 point head start on us, I need to get a bigger boat. Looks like an attempt to change the rules to stop Muskrat wining again glare.gif

Will I qualify for the 100 point bonus if I'm towing a 6' dinghy? We may not do so badly this year...

Not quite. I think you would get the points for 51-60 for The Cat, then the points for a motor and butty pair :blink:

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Scoring glitch - help

Guys I have been looking at this years rules and as far as I can tell there are no fields on the scoring sheet which allow us to accrue points travelling north from Pudding Green Junct to Tame Valley Junct, or indeed north to Walsall Town Arm. Is this a misprint or must we travel south on this section to gain points.?

Oh - how would you feel about a 28 ft bowsprit to bring Wand'ring bark up to 70ft and access those extra points?

Andy

Scoring glitch - help

Guys I have been looking at this years rules and as far as I can tell there are no fields on the scoring sheet which allow us to accrue points travelling north from Pudding Green Junct to Tame Valley Junct, or indeed north to Walsall Town Arm. Is this a misprint or must we travel south on this section to gain points.?

Oh - how would you feel about a 28 ft bowsprit to bring Wand'ring bark up to 70ft and access those extra points?

Andy

No bowsprit! Not now the draught bonus has gone and I've had to scrap Tawny Owl's three foot dagger board

Richard

No bowsprit! Not now the draught bonus has gone and I've had to scrap Tawny Owl's three foot dagger board

Richard

Hmm. I'm ever so slightly worried about a dagger board on a narrowboat - can I be the first human (with two anxious felines on shoulder) to point out you may prefer to have lee boards instead?

What are the rules on having cats as crew? Do I get any extra points for starting at Merry Hell and steering by a whisker through Netherton?

Scoring glitch - help

Andy

Unless it says otherwise you can do a section in either direction, see the note at the bottom of page3 of the route planner. As you will have seen there are some sections that you can now do in BOTH directions, I think that is what is confusing you, as those are listed in bother directions, the others in just one direction.

Just finishing up on the 20ft extension for Firefly rolleyes.gif

Edited to add: and just because I am super nice, Walsall Jnct. to Tame Valley Jnct is a section you can do in both directions, if you dare. But who knows, as BW are currently dredging it perhaps there will not be a plastic bag in sight, some hope....

Edited by john6767

Unless it says otherwise you can do a section in either direction, see the note at the bottom of page3 of the route planner. As you will have seen there are some sections that you can now do in BOTH directions, I think that is what is confusing you, as those are listed in bother directions, the others in just one direction.

Just finishing up on the 20ft extension for Firefly rolleyes.gif

You are right - that was what was confusing me. I nearly ended up reversing my whole plan!

Now, if I can't have a bowsprit, what about about 20 tipcats locked together - thats got to be good for 20 points.

You are right - that was what was confusing me. I nearly ended up reversing my whole plan!

Now, if I can't have a bowsprit, what about about 20 tipcats locked together - thats got to be good for 20 points.

Only if they were all made by Joe Hollingsworth.

That was confusing me as well.

Got the starting position sorted the other weekend, thats 20 points in the bag, plus 51 for length :D

We'll have to leave the cats at home but we're bringing the mumsie-in-law, do we get any points for her?

SAM

Ryde

IOW

• 3 weeks later...

That was confusing me as well.

Got the starting position sorted the other weekend, thats 20 points in the bag, plus 51 for length :D

We'll have to leave the cats at home but we're bringing the mumsie-in-law, do we get any points for her?

SAM

Ryde

IOW

Probably not, but it's worth asking.

I have finally sent in my application as I now have both money to enter and crew. Hooray!

Team Cobbett will be five strong - Luctor, me, Ellen and Andy and Charlie (plus Viola and Clara on tea-making duties).

I am hoping that Luctor and Ellen can organise themselves because I fear the boys may need some helping into line. I am hoping to beat off Laurie to last place but you know ....

Probably not, but it's worth asking.

I have finally sent in my application as I now have both money to enter and crew. Hooray!

Team Cobbett will be five strong - Luctor, me, Ellen and Andy and Charlie (plus Viola and Clara on tea-making duties).

I am hoping that Luctor and Ellen can organise themselves because I fear the boys may need some helping into line. I am hoping to beat off Laurie to last place but you know ....

:):cheers:

Evening all.

As there is now no room for me on Cobbett because the Ginger Pig has decided to take up the available floor space I need a space to do my crewing thang.

Exceedingly well house-trained and generous with cider (says Wriggly).

Anyone got any space for me? I know Birmingham like the back of your hand.

Dave-the-Brummie xxx