BCN 24 Hour Challenge 2012

Capt Ahab

Featured Posts

I am planning the route with the aid of Excel and a map even as I type.

I'm planning too. Thank you Mr Cat Who Walks By Himself.

Any offers as to the state of the Bradley Arm? :unsure:

I'm guessing its hard boating to be worth x4 points.

SAM

Ryde

IOW

Monkton Street still there, with the Solent still at the end :cheers:

(And the Solent :boat: beyond the pub)

The arm is a doddle, as long as you don't mind a lot of weed, are not too deep draughted, and are prepared to put the effort in to wind if you are 70'

Until the new rules are out, The Cat's planner is fun but may not give the best route

Richard

Edited by RLWP

SAM

Ryde

IOW

I feared Monkton Street might still be there, wave hello to 82 when you go past next time. Is the MG Sprite garage still there too?

The arm is a doddle, as long as you don't mind a lot of weed, are not too deep draughted, and are prepared to put the effort in to wind if you are 70'

Until the new rules are out, The Cat's planner is fun but may not give the best route

Richard

What! They've changed the rules since 1996? Well, that's one evening of route planning down the drain ....

Richard

Thanks for that.

I was wondering what the winding situation was at the end?

Mr Pearson and the Nikkies guide say that winding is 'office hours' only. I have a feeling we'll be there at some unearthly hour on sunday morning :tired:

'Red Wharf' is a 51 footer and draws 29" at the blunt end, according to survey, BTW.

SAM

Ryde

IOW

Mortally wounded, wounded I tell you.

I am good at planning. It's remembering to bring the plan with me that causes the grief ...

Really? I thought it was sticking to the plan where the trouble came

Richard

SAM

Ryde

IOW

Thanks for that.

I was wondering what the winding situation was at the end?

Mr Pearson and the Nikkies guide say that winding is 'office hours' only. I have a feeling we'll be there at some unearthly hour on sunday morning :tired:

'Red Wharf' is a 51 footer and draws 29" at the blunt end, according to survey, BTW.

SAM

Ryde

IOW

You can not do too much planning until this years rules and points system is out. My guess would be that it is not that different to last years though, but you never know.

Bradley arm was not that hard, one weedhatch trip each way I think. At 51 foot you will have no problem in turning round in the canal at the end, ours is 50 foot and it was easy.

• Greenie 1

Bradley arm was not that hard, one weedhatch trip each way I think.

I don't want to say this too loudly but in 9 months, 447 miles and 315 locks of boat owning we haven't had to go down the weed hatch :)

(Something tells me there should be a 'yet' in that last sentence!)

I have a feeling that we will break that particular duck the first weekend in June, if we haven't done so beforehand. :lol:

SAM

Ryde

IOW

Sam, I think you are going to discover the weed hatch on the BCN. I greased the thread specially for the Challenge (me competitive, what gave you that idea).

Thinking about it, I usually check the weed hatch every few days when out, but I don't think I have found anything really significant on there since we came off the Walsall Canal at Pudding Green Junction on the Monday after the Challenge.

You can turn a 70 footer at the end of the Bradley Arm - I did it in last years challenge - it was tight and took a while...... ignore the sign at the winding hole half way up the arm which tells you that you can only wind a full length boat during office hours.

Thanks for those replies.

We'll be on the boat this time next week, I reckon a quick shufti down the weed hatch might be in order.

I've a Stanley knife and a nice pair of tinsnips in the toolkit I keep on 'Wharfie'. I don't think I can run to anti-matress depth charges but what tools would the assembled multitude recommend to do battle with anything that might choose to wrap itself around our prop?

SAM

Ryde

IOW

Ah yes the trip down the weedhatch when we passed through Birmingham on our way to the Lapworth banter in June!

img_5567.jpg

If I remember rightly the contents included a sari, several items of ladies underwear and a hoodie!

and lots of plastic!!!