When did BW switch to black and white?

Capt Ahab

Featured Posts

I was looking at a book on Shropshire Canals recently and realised that at least the Shropshire Union painted their lock gate balance beams in a fetching shade of grey.

http://captainahabswaterytales.blogspot.com/

When did BW switch to a uniform black and white and what other colour schemes existed? Its hard to imagine anything other than B&W.

I was looking at a book on Shropshire Canals recently and realised that at least the Shropshire Union painted their lock gate balance beams in a fetching shade of grey.

When did BW switch to a uniform black and white and what other colour schemes existed? Its hard to imagine anything other than B&W.

Except that quite a few locks on the Shroppie, (possibly all ?) are still painted using quite a light shade of grey, not black, on the balance beams ! :wacko:

Perhaps you need to take a trip up there!

Edited by alan_fincher

Except that quite a few locks on the Shroppie, (possibly all ?) are still painted using quite a light shade of grey, not black, on the balance beams ! :wacko:

Perhaps you need to take a trip up there!

You are right Alan - had a look at my old blog posts and Hack Green and some of Audlem at least are grey.

I wonder why?

Shows how long since any maintenance was done there, then!

Brian

Possibly a bit harsh!......

Some of these are amongst the best maintained locks we saw in what was really quite an epic summer trip.

This is quite typical - everything worked, and lock surrounds and grass in good order......

IMG_0129.jpg

Did the lock beams on the Shroppie not used to be grey and a few years ago, BW were contemplating returning them to their original colour. if my memory serves me right they painted (some or all) of them grey than asked for feedback from boaters. I think I can remember seeing a notice about it on lock beams.

Or maybe not :-)

haggis

Possibly a bit harsh!......

Some of these are amongst the best maintained locks we saw in what was really quite an epic summer trip.

This is quite typical - everything worked, and lock surrounds and grass in good order......

IMG_0129.jpg

Yes - said with tongue in cheek, of course. I've never got that far yet, but it does look quite pretty.

Brian

Edited by Rebotco

Did the lock beams on the Shroppie not used to be grey and a few years ago, BW were contemplating returning them to their original colour. if my memory serves me right they painted (some or all) of them grey than asked for feedback from boaters. I think I can remember seeing a notice about it on lock beams.

Or maybe not :-)

haggis

The old Shroppie company used to have grey balance beams. BW, or maybe even the D&IWE, decided to standardise on black. A few years ago, in the search for cheap "heritage" hits, BW decided to restore the old grey colour scheme.

I recently went down the Shroppie but I cannot recall the ratio of black to grey beams. One thing is certain, the grey beams are not a hangover from SU days but are more modern new beams or repaints. The black beams will be the older ones.

George ex nb Alton retired

I recently went down the Shroppie but I cannot recall the ratio of black to grey beams. One thing is certain, the grey beams are not a hangover from SU days but are more modern new beams or repaints. The black beams will be the older ones.

I have quite a few pictures taken at locks as we came down the Shroppie (from Barbridge) this summer.

Every one I have from Hack Green, Audlem, Adderley, Tyrley, Wheaton Aston and even Autherley only shows grey balance beams.

I didn't photograph all locks, (!), so it is possible there are some occasional black ones, but I'd argue, whatever the history, the vast majority, if not all, on that stretch are currently grey.

I have quite a few pictures taken at locks as we came down the Shroppie (from Barbridge) this summer.

Every one I have from Hack Green, Audlem, Adderley, Tyrley, Wheaton Aston and even Autherley only shows grey balance beams.

I didn't photograph all locks, (!), so it is possible there are some occasional black ones, but I'd argue, whatever the history, the vast majority, if not all, on that stretch are currently grey.

I certainly wouldn't argue with you. The decision to repaint beams grey was taken some years ago so I would expect routine maintenance will see them all painted grey by now.