Fridge not working

Mat B

Featured Posts

My 3-way Dometic fridge has stopped working. It is about 2 years old and has been running virtually continuously on gas since purchase.

I have tried it on gas, 12V & 230V, no cooling at all. It was working fine until a couple of days ago. The back is getting hot as normal.

Any ideas please?

Can they be re-gassed?

Anybody know a fridge engineer within striking distance of Peterborough?

m@

My 3-way Dometic fridge has stopped working. It is about 2 years old and has been running virtually continuously on gas since purchase.

I have tried it on gas, 12V & 230V, no cooling at all. It was working fine until a couple of days ago. The back is getting hot as normal.

Any ideas please?

Can they be re-gassed?

Anybody know a fridge engineer within striking distance of Peterborough?

m@

I had the same problem with mine a few months back, I had to turn mine upside down for a few hours and then turn it back the correct way, it then lit!!!! But I had to turn the gas off as I was leaving my boat for the week, upon my return it wouldnt light again :angry: got told it was the thermcouple or whatever its called......

Good Luck!

Sounds like some sort of blockage in the fluid. I heard someone talking about turning fridges upside down to solve some sort of problem, but I can't remember what it was. Anyway, don't do it until someone else who knows comes along to comment.

That is normally the way with absorption fridges.

I am not familiar with the make of fridge you own but I have had a similar problem with an electrolux one. They used to be fitted in most boats in years gone by. I consulted a friend who was a "proper" fridge engineer.

He told me to sweep its chimney to get rid of any rust and soot and then turn it over, give it a good shake, and then leave it for 24 hours before refitting it. It worked like a dream but when I called in to treat him to a pint or two, I asked what the turning over bit did to it, he hadn't got a clear answer!

On another occasion with a different fridge of the same make the failure occured on the first day of a cruise when the fridge was lit for the first time that season. Lacking the tools to remove the fridge I resorted to running it on gas while also turning on the 12 volt supply. This kicked it into life in about 30 minutes and it then worked happily all season on gas.

I'm not sure about the safety of this method so I suggest the sweep, turn, and shake method is best.

I don't have a gas fridge any longer but I would love to know with certainty what this ritual actually does!

Best of luck with it

Mike

Probably stating the bloomin' obvious but.....

If it was working on all the possible power sources, (LPG/12V/240V), and is now not working on any, then (unless you have very unluckily coinciding multiple failures), the issue must be more than the gas combustion system and/or flue.

I have known the "turn upside down" thing to work, but have always thought it to be a cure for one of these fridges that has stood unused for a long while, and things have "settled".

If this one has been in continuous use until recently, and now just stopped completely, I am doubtful that trick will help.

(Take contents out of fridge before attempting it!.... :rolleyes: ).

This "turning upside down" only works with absorption fridges,they work by heating/boiling a suspension of amonia. Over time the amonia can settle out of suspension, by turning the fridge upside down for a few hours and giving it a really good shake you can sometimes remix the amonia suspension and the fridge will work again. It's not always the cure though and NO they can't be regassed. Hope that helps and good luck, just for your information I,m an ex' refrigeration engineer.

There is an excellent Dometic service technician based I think in the Northampton are. He's been to our caravan fridge on site at Oxford and Huntingdon. Unfortunately his details are in the caravan and it's raining. If you want I can get them tomorrow.

All the methods Gas 12v 240v work in the same way by heating up the coolant and then as it goes from liquid to gas it freezes or vice versa. I had a gas fridge where the chimney heating pipe war full of dead flies.

Both statements undoubtedly true, but I am not sure what conclusion you are drawing from putting both together.

The 12 volt and 240 volt methods don't involve the "chimney", so, if it has stopped working on all three power sources, the explanation must be something other than "dead flies", musn't it ?

The 12 volt and 240 volt methods don't involve the "chimney", so, if it has stopped working on all three power sources, the explanation must be something other than "dead flies", musn't it ?

Exactly.

Disconnect it, turn it upside down for 24 hours, turn it back and switch it on. All you have to lose is 24 hours.

Tony

................. NO they can't be regassed. Hope that helps and good luck, just for your information I,m an ex' refrigeration engineer.

Hmmm - could be new fridge time then :huh:

There is an excellent Dometic service technician based I think in the Northampton are. He's been to our caravan fridge on site at Oxford and Huntingdon. Unfortunately his details are in the caravan and it's raining. If you want I can get them tomorrow.

Yes please, no rush though, I will give him a try if the inversion technique fails.

m@

M@ - the guy who I have used for Dometic (nee Electrolux) fridges is a Malcolm Rock of Rock Services, Northampton, 07973 440235.

Thanks for that, the turning upside down thing did not work so I will give him a try.

:)

m@

• 1 month later...

An update,

I managed to dig out the paperwork and found that the fridge was within its 2 year guarantee, so returned it to the caravan shop where I bought it.

Just got it back today with new cooler unit fitted.

:-)

m@

Both statements undoubtedly true, but I am not sure what conclusion you are drawing from putting both together.

The flue is there to remove the products of combustion when using gas, it also removes heat from the enclosure the fridge is fitted into, this applies to gas, 12v or 240v. the electric heaters are rated at 100W and generate a fair bit of heat when used for prolonged periods. The flue should be insulated to promote efficient cooling and to prevent the rest of the fridge being heated up by the heater, be it electric or gas.

There sould be adequate ventalation for the fridge. not all of the fridge likes being hot, hence the cooling fins to dissipate the heat away from where its not wanted. This also helps to explain why absorbton fridges performance drops off during periods of high ambient temperatures.