Route across the Penines?

DJW

Route across the Penines  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Which way route would you take to cross the Penines (West to East)

• Leeds & Liverpool
    • Rochdale
    • Huddersfield Narrow

Featured Posts

We're thinking of moving our boat from East Anglia up to Yorkshire next year, probably to the Leeds area.

I've been looking at the route and can't decide which way to cross the Penines, I've heard good and bad things about all three routes so thought I'd put it to the vote. If you've made the trip (west to east) which route would you take - what are the good and bad points of each? Thanks

Edited to add: 57' narrowboat so all options open

Edited by DJW

We're thinking of moving our boat from East Anglia up to Yorkshire next year, probably to the Leeds area.

I've been looking at the route and can't decide which way to cross the Penines, I've heard good and bad things about all three routes so thought I'd put it to the vote. If you've made the trip (west to east) which route would you take - what are the good and bad points of each? Thanks

What are your boat dimensions???

Edited by MJG

You don't have to cross the Pennines. The most direct route would be down the Trent and up the Aire & Calder. That's the route I usually take back to my mooring in the (eastern) Pennines. If you really don't want to face the Trent, then my vote would be for the Huddersfield Narrow, an experience not to be missed (and in some cases, not repeated!)

Good point MJG, edited my original post to add - 57' narrowboat.

Mac - i plan on doing a bit of a tour & going through birmingham, up the shroppie, there & back on the llangollen then crossing the penines by one way or another.

I haven't (yet) done the other two but a real favourite of ours of all of the bits of the system we have so far done is the L&L.

OK like most bits of the system it has it's gritty bits notably parts of the Leigh branch and Blackburn and Burnley. The Wigan flight is hard graft but very rewarding, get to the bottom early AM and wait for another boat to go up with would be my advice.

The L&L between Barnoldswick and Saltaire is just stunning in parts. That said I understand parts of the other two are too...

So I have voted L&L because it's the one I know best more than nay other reason.

I haven't done the HNC yet, I'm planning to do that next year. The other two are both memorable and worth doing. The L&L has the more majestic scenery but the Rochdale is lovely once you leave Rochdal behind and if you go that way you will also do the Calder & Hebble which is a very attractive waterway. Both the Rochdale and the L&L are challenging at times but that's part of what makes them memorable.

Having done all three I voted Rochdale because it didn't get a vote yet. I think coming over the summit is the most spectacular wheras the L&L is the prettiest once you are past urban Lancashire, which can be horribly litter strewn, as can the Rochdale until past Rochdale. The Huddersfield has the least ugly urban plus the advantage that if you come up the Macclesfield you can include the Peak Forest. It also has Standwedge Tunnel which is a must do experience.

Travelling solo the ascent from Manchester on the Rochdale is a very hard day. After that take it leisurely. Overall I found the Huddersfield hardest and the L&L a comparative piece of cake. As someone said, do all three. They may be hard work with so many locks, they may be somewhat rubbish strewn in places but they are all superb canals.

I've only done the L&L so that gets my vote - sounds the most obvious if your coming from Cheshire, the bridgewater is a doddle and if you've got the time to enjoy it the L&L offers lots of opportunity to moor up between fairly well spaced out lock flights... If you've got a crew then the wigan flight will be easier, but then the other two routes would alos be easier with a good crew I suppose.

Hi

The Huddersfield is the only narrow canal and the shortest route so it would get my vote, although the others do have their own attractions.

It is still a challenge, but all the better for it.

Alex

We have done all three this year - the L&L and Rochdale east to west and the Huddersfield west to east. My personal favourite is the Huddersfield, partly as we prefer narrow canals but the climb up and through the Pennines is, in our view, the most spectacular of the three. The disadvantage is the requirement for booking the tunnel, which rather orders the whole trip; also, of you are bothered about mooring near the bank you will need to choose your spots.

The L&L is the most conventional of the routes - good scenery particularly around Skipton and is the longest too.

The Rochdale is fine - but one needs to book for both Tuel Lane lock and the summit, and therefore is perhaps the middle option.

Ian

It all depends what sort of experience you want. As has been said, the Leeds Liverpool is by far the easiest way, (aprt from the dreaded swing bridges on the eastern side) and I would argue the most attractive. We moor on the Greenberfield-Bank Newton pound and it is the most attractive stretch of canal we know. Best of all it is very quiet these days, sometimes too quiet though. Saying that you are not going to meet many boats on any of these routes.

But, on balance I think I'd go for the Macclesfield-Peak Forest-Huddesfield Narrow option. This way you have the possiblity of a detour up both the Caldon -highly underated - and the Peak Forest arm to Whalley Bridge. Both these are well worth doing. The HNC is a real experience, and it has to be said not one for the faint hearted. But it also has the least "grotty" parts of the three routes. The first section through Ashton isn't pleasant, but there isn't much to compare with say Blackburn where you just grit your teeth... Also you come out onto the Calder and Hebble which is a surprisingly pleasant experience as is the Aire and Calder.

Or out at the Wash, up to The Humber and in via A & C Navigation. I wonder why no one's ever done that by Nb. Bet a Dutch barge has.

I wonder??

Perhaps they value their life... ;)

I haven't (yet) done the other two but a real favourite of ours of all of the bits of the system we have so far done is the L&L.

OK like most bits of the system it has it's gritty bits notably parts of the Leigh branch and Blackburn and Burnley. The Wigan flight is hard graft but very rewarding, get to the bottom early AM and wait for another boat to go up with would be my advice.

The L&L between Barnoldswick and Saltaire is just stunning in parts. That said I understand parts of the other two are too...

So I have voted L&L because it's the one I know best more than nay other reason.

Just done this today all 21 + the two at the end of the Leigh branch.

Talk about hard work!

Just done this today all 21 + the two at the end of the Leigh branch.

Talk about hard work!

With another boat was hard enough...

hats off if you have done it on your own...

I'm missing summit Alex.... but I would help any body...wouldn't you?

Hi

I have developed a technique of making friends when ever there is long day ahead of us.

I have been known to wait hours at the bottom (or top) of a stretch of locks/swing bridges, It doesn't matter who it is, even you could be my matecheers.gif

No sarcasm intended

Alex

Blackburn doesn't look too clever, well not from space anyway...

Looks rough, I live near Newlay locks (Bramley/Rodley) and know that area can be a bit dodgy at times, is there any areas to watch out for in Blackburn?

Edited by Gazboatman

We went through Nelson, Burnley and Blackburn last month en route to Nantwich with absolutely no problem apart from the wind and rain...

There's been a tremendous improvement since the last time we cruised through a couple of years ago when we had to stop regularly to clear the prop.

I'd rather do Blackburn than Rodley any day!

Janet