Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

Hi everyone

We are looking to purchase a 42 foot widebeam springer and wondered if anyone has information on the thickness of the hull. We have been advised via an old survey it is 25mm. We have been told this does not look right. I am struggling to find any information on the springer widebeam finished in 1994 - can anyone help?

Cheers

Claire

Hi everyone

We are looking to purchase a 42 foot widebeam springer and wondered if anyone has information on the thickness of the hull. We have been advised via an old survey it is 25mm. We have been told this does not look right. I am struggling to find any information on the springer widebeam finished in 1994 - can anyone help?

Cheers

Claire

Welcome, Claire. Heaps of advice on here. You might get loads of conflicting advice but at least you will know the issues.

As a first thought. No inland waterways boat that I have ever heard of has 25mm thick plating. This is warship stuff. I think that they might have meant 2.5mm which is a bit thin. I am sure that there will be someone along with suggestions but my first one would be to have your own survey done and choose a surveyor that has nothing to do with the seller. It will cost a bit to have the boat out of the water and to hire the surveyor but it can save no end of grief.

Nick

Hi all, been lurking here for some time, and it seems to be a very down to earth and friendly forum. I don't currently own a boat, but in the past have owned small coastal and estuary angling boats. Am really keen on the narrowboats and am planning a holiday canal cruising. I watch loads of You Tube narrowboat videos in the hope of picking up some skills (lol).

Hi All,

I am very new to boating i have just bought my first ever canal boat a 27ft GPR Highland Crusader i would have dearly loved a Narrow Boat but this is as close as we will get i think without the Narrow Boat price tag. The boat is moored down London at the moment and am trying to sort out transport to bring her back to Tamworth any help or suggestions very much appreciated wink.png

Oh no! Now you've done it! Welcome to the madness of owning a boat.

I would have a go at moving it yourself in stages. If it really is in London, you won't find many places to lift her out so moving her part way makes sense anyway

Otherwise, you could get a boat mover to bring her up for you

Richard

Welcome Chas78.

If you look in the "Crew Swap" sub-section of "General Boating", you will see posts from fellow forumites offering sometimes free boat moving services, or at least offers to help you move it.

Yet another Tamworth based boater, together we will soon make Tamworth the boat capital of CWDF!

• Greenie 1

Welcome Chas78.

If you look in the "Crew Swap" sub-section of "General Boating", you will see posts from fellow forumites offering sometimes free boat moving services, or at least offers to help you move it.

Yet another Tamworth based boater, together we will soon make Tamworth the boat capital of CWDF!

Thanks for that i will have a look i have been onto some boat transport companies but they have not got back to me and one quoted a ridiculous price!! help.gif

Hi All,

I am very new to boating i have just bought my first ever canal boat a 27ft GPR Highland Crusader i would have dearly loved a Narrow Boat but this is as close as we will get i think without the Narrow Boat price tag. The boat is moored down London at the moment and am trying to sort out transport to bring her back to Tamworth any help or suggestions very much appreciated wink.png

I have not tried the service, but when I was looking to have boat trolley delivered I got some quotes through this site

https://www.shiply.com/

I guess the cheapest option will be moving it on the water though.

Good luck

• Greenie 1

Hi all,

My name is Jenny and I'm in the process of getting into this boat malarkey. Early days and I know almost nothing, but that's more than I knew 6 months ago!

Aim is to be living on a boat of my own in a couple of years' time. Currently in Windsor area, but open mind at this stage regarding where and what kind of boat. I'll try not to ask daft questions, (I've developed a close relationship with Google) but sometimes there's nothing like advice from real people, so here I am. Thanks in advance!

Hi All,

Have been lurking here for quite some time, but decided it was about time to say hello. I'm due to take early retirement in about 18 months and my wife and I plan to take to the water shortly after that. We have successfully launched three lads into the world of work, one is about to grandparent us, another threatens it. One more is yet to be levered all the way out of a world of comfort, currently at University, but we are working on that!

Ideally we Intend to move more or less straight into liveaboard life with a "go anywhere" size narrowboat.The plan has been in the pipeline for a couple of years so we have a good idea about what we want, what we need, and what we want to avoid...we just have to find the right boat, a very enjoyable work in progress so far. We have two Crick shows under our belt, I think that made us decide we needed to be looking at good secondhand instead of bespoke, or off the peg new, but of course that makes finding the right boat a world of complicated tradeoffs. Anyway that's us, and that's the plan. We have already found this forum a great source of wise advice, so although I may return to lurk mode for a while, I am sure I will be popping up with a few questions fairly soon.

Edited by embis

Hi all,

My name is Jenny and I'm in the process of getting into this boat malarkey. Early days and I know almost nothing, but that's more than I knew 6 months ago!

Aim is to be living on a boat of my own in a couple of years' time. Currently in Windsor area, but open mind at this stage regarding where and what kind of boat. I'll try not to ask daft questions, (I've developed a close relationship with Google) but sometimes there's nothing like advice from real people, so here I am. Thanks in advance!

Hi Jennyanydots,

We passed you when you were moored near Pooley Country Park this morning.

You asked us if we had seen a Jack Russell, and we said "no".

Have you found your dog yet?

Edited by cuthound

Hi Jennyanydots,

We passed you when you were moored near Pooley Country Park this morning.

You asked us if we had seen a Jack Russell, and we said "no".

Have you found your dog yet?

Ah sorry, that wasn't me. Was their boat called Jennyanydots?

Whoever it was, I do hope they found their dog!

Ah sorry, that wasn't me. Was their boat called Jennyanydots?

Whoever it was, I do hope they found their dog!

Ah, we saw a newish 58-60 foot narrowboat called Jennyanydots and assumed it was you.

How strange that there should be 2 Jennyanydots.

Hello,

I'm in the process of making plans to live on the water long term (hence why I've joined this forum)

I have a question (apologies if it's already been dealt with, couldn't find anything):

When buying a boat privately what safeguards/procedures are there to ensure you're not buying a stolen boat or one with outstanding finance on it. Is there anything like a central register or a website like you have for vehicles

All help appreciated.

Thanks, Paul

Welcome to the forum.

Nothing formal. Buying from a broker should be safer as he is supposed to undertake due diligence checks.

The best way I know of to minimise the risk of the boat being stolen, is to see old licence & insurance renewals, maintenence receipts etc in the name of the supposed owner.

Hello,

I'm in the process of making plans to live on the water long term (hence why I've joined this forum)

I have a question (apologies if it's already been dealt with, couldn't find anything):

When buying a boat privately what safeguards/procedures are there to ensure you're not buying a stolen boat or one with outstanding finance on it. Is there anything like a central register or a website like you have for vehicles

All help appreciated.

Thanks, Paul

Hello and welcome, the proper ones who know everything will be along shortly.

All I know is that the better the paper trail the more reassuring that its genuine.

There is no real register to check whether bona fide sale.

Checking out licence and insurance details in supposed owners name always wise.

Its one of the reasons I went for new boat and found my own fitter outer who sourced shell.